What's the going rate for plastering?

ProDave

Big firms here £3.5 m2 but you'll get a team go and crash it in one day for that and will look crap. Best to get a recommended 1 man band who takes pride in his work and price or day work. No point getting a skim and it looking worse than tape and fill

5 minutes ago, Oz07 said:

You sure that meterage is right? 70 boards?

79 boards in fact. Allowing for wastage (very small actually) I arrived at 225 square metres.  This is most of the upstairs only, less than half the total of the whole house. We want to get the bedrooms operational first so we don't have to sleep in the static caravan over winter.

The price I have been quoted is nearly twice that per metre cost you mention. That's for one man and his mate.  There are not many plasterers around these parts, 99% just tape and fill. He didn't say how long it would take, just the cost to do that much.

IIRC, our guys (two of them) fitted around 450m2 of plasterboard in 5 days, then took 4 1/2 days to skim it the following week.  I think they were around £150/day each, and did a cracking job.  On top of that, I paid for a labourer for a day (£80) to shift all the plasterboard into piles in each room, ready to fit.  I also provided an internal scaffold tower (which I later sold on to the plasterers, as it happened).

So, very roughly, fitting the plasterboard came to around £1500, skimming came to around £1350.  I purchased all materials, plasterboard, beads, collated screws, plaster etc.  Labour cost per m2 came to around £3 for plaster skimming, £3.30 for boarding out, so around £6.30/m2 labour for the whole job.

Edited by JSHarris

Fwiw,  the guy we are using is charging £450 for the big rooms I. E 5mx5m, walls 3.3m high. Smaller rooms are £400 I think. Guy works with another plasterer, they work from 10-finish, normally 4pm. Finish is superb. Think that works out around £5 per m2, although he doesn't quote per m2. 

I am currently having the Little Brown Bungalow done - minimal surface prep if any + a skim. Existing walls being skimmed, not boarded except in a couple of places (acoustics on party wall) and that is in place already. We made sure the place was cleared for access. Walls + ceiling minus parts of bathroom and kitchen, which I make just around 250sqm. The chap is working on his own for this job.

From memory, labour is a little under £150 a day for 8 days. Quality is great. So ~£4 per sqm for labour. I am supplying materials = 32 bags multifill and 3 bags bonding (Thistle from Wickes = £165 toto) if that helps show the size of the job. This is also the second decent sized job from this plasterer for me so that may also help. 

One important note is that having a very local supplier and horses for courses (one man band vs several men and their own scaffold towers etc) could make a large difference. My job is a small bungalow - the simplest case, which at most involves hop-up steps not scaffolding towers, and the plasterer is about 5 minutes away. Travelling eg 25 miles could add 10% to the day rate in mileage and another 10% of time.

Ferdinand 

Edited by Ferdinand

I have my own scaffold. I have discussed that and all he wants is a small tower up the stairwell. All other rooms he will work from planks and trestles or hop ups.

I have just had a look back in my book at the last house.  We had that one taped and filled. That cost us £1290  to have the whole house taped and filled, that house used about 230 sheets of plasterboard, so £5.60 per sheet for taping.

The price I have at the moment for plastering equates to £17 per board, so 3 times as much as taping (the taping cost would no doubt be higher now as this was 12 years ago)

21 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Plasterers are like hen's teeth round here. everyone just tapes and fills.

From what I can gather, it's the same here, and even then they are only available part of the year when not rendering, so actually being able to get them is a struggle.  Tape and fill is the accepted method up here.  I think we were around 200 man hours to prep, tape, fill and sand to finished surface, 400m2 internal surface area which includes 2 large vaulted ceilings (not popular with tapers!).

Out if interest, when plastering, are tapes still required at plasterboard joints and corners?

Scrim tape is used at joints, which is a self adhesive sort of open woven tape. External corners are done with either metal or plastic beads.

I have sort of come to a deal with him that I will pay for the upstairs, and we will then do a trade swap when it comes to the downstairs (he will be building a new house soon and will need an electrician.

Yes it's the better finish we are wanting, this is supposed to be the long term house. It's not so much that taping and filling gives a poor initial finish, it just does not seem to last with screw head fills poping and corner joints having a habit of the tape lifting.

33 minutes ago, Stones said:

From what I can gather, it's the same here, and even then they are only available part of the year when not rendering, so actually being able to get them is a struggle.  Tape and fill is the accepted method up here.  I think we were around 200 man hours to prep, tape, fill and sand to finished surface, 400m2 internal surface area which includes 2 large vaulted ceilings (not popular with tapers!).

Out if interest, when plastering, are tapes still required at plasterboard joints and corners?

Being honest, how do the long walls look, particularly any which get varying sweeps of natural light through the day ?

2 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Scrim tape is used at joints, which is a self adhesive sort of open woven tape. External corners are done with either metal or plastic beads.

I have sort of come to a deal with him that I will pay for the upstairs, and we will then do a trade swap when it comes to the downstairs (he will be building a new house soon and will need an electrician.

Yes it's the better finish we are wanting, this is supposed to be the long term house. It's not so much that taping and filling gives a poor initial finish, it just does not seem to last with screw head fills poping and corner joints having a habit of the tape lifting.

Excellent !

Nowt better than a bit of barter. My spark has done me a second fix and I'm tiling his floor (kitchen utility and cloak) next week. ? Works out day for day up to the cloak so he's got to pay for that. 

2 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Being honest, how do the long walls look, particularly anyvwhich get varying sweeps of natural light through the day ?

Another criticism with tape and fill, is you rely on the plasterboard being GOOD. One wall in our previous house, when the sun was just right (wrong?) you could see slight ripples in the board finish, which had I noticed I would have rejected that board. Plastering covers such imperfections.

My plasterer was £150 a day and promised me that he would do the whole place in five days- if it took longer, no extra charge. Top bloke tbh, wish he was based up here but he was just passing through and I was really lucky to hear about him when I did.

As with Dave and Jason, a skim finish is almost unheard of here. The SSE guys fitting my supply the other day said that they visit virtually every new build in the area and this was the best finish they'd seen.

30 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Another criticism with tape and fill, is you rely on the plasterboard being GOOD. One wall in our previous house, when the sun was just right (wrong?) you could see slight ripples in the board finish, which had I noticed I would have rejected that board. Plastering covers such imperfections.

I couldn't agree more.  Our old house had ceilings that were just taped and filled, no idea why as all the walls were block and plastered.  The living room ceiling used to annoy the heck out of me, all the time, as the setting sun would show up every ripple along all the joints.  It was the sole reason I opted to skim all the walls and ceilings in the new build.

• Like 1