Need advise on staircase - plan of attack...

I'm getting cheesed off clambering up and down ladders. 

The progress of the build is slow and we are no where near finished, Boarding and skimming is a little way off yet.

I've got a staircase layout made up, so happy on that side of things, what I'm not sure about is materials and how to plan...  We had this vision (like many) of a nice hardwood staircase, glass, or wrought iron look balustrading, but I don't think putting a HW staircase in now would be the best decision I ever made...  It would get dinged and bashed up regardless of how careful we tried to be.

Is it feasible to get the staircase in MDF then clad it later?  A lot of places sell the staircase cladding kits, the risers and treads seem relatively easy to do, we might even end up carpeting, no plans been made that far ahead.  What about the stringers, they'll be on show, can these be clad effectively, or is it worthwhile to get these in hardwood and just tape copious amounts of cardboard and bubble wrap to cover it. 

Can I just get the staircase in without the balustrading and add this as 2nd fix item later, would be useful if I could as I can lug awkward items upstairs.

Ta

Marek

+1 - fit your lovely staircase as late as possible. In the US they often build a construction staircase that then gets covered with proper treads and risers etc. but don't seem to see that too often here. I built my construction staircases using plywood for stringers, osb offcuts for the risers and reclaimed timber for the treads. Cheap as chips. It has also been useful as we've been able to real world test the stair angle and riser/tread relationship to decide on a different angle slope for the proper staircase I'll be making shortly.

• Like 1

I was trying to get out of paying twice, but that advice  (spelt correctly this time!) is sensible and logical.  Floor to floor is 2750, so Howdens are out.  quarter turn at the bottom is required to comply with regs and not to foul a doorway.  Maybe just maybe a loft staircase might do the trick, or even a non compliant set will help. I'll hit TK and stairbox and see what the damage will be!

Thanks

Marek

2 minutes ago, crispy_wafer said:

I was trying to get out of paying twice, but that advice  (spelt correctly this time!) is sensible and logical.  Floor to floor is 2750, so Howdens are out.  quarter turn at the bottom is required to comply with regs and not to foul a doorway.  Maybe just maybe a loft staircase might do the trick, or even a non compliant set will help. I'll hit TK and stairbox and see what the damage will be!

Thanks

Marek

I think your missing the point a bit, buy the howdens staircase, build a plywood box to fit under it to get your height, then put it on Facebook at the end and get £100 back for it. 

If you need winders just build them out of ply and chuck it on the bonfire in a years time. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

I think your missing the point a bit, buy the howdens staircase, build a plywood box to fit under it to get your height, then put it on Facebook at the end and get £100 back for it. 

If you need winders just build them out of ply and chuck it on the bonfire in a years time. 

Thanks for simplifying it for me, that'll work a treat, honestly doing that didn't even cross my mind. 

36 minutes ago, crispy_wafer said:

Thanks

Marek

You will be surprised at how much more productive you will be with a staircase compared with a ladder. Tradespeople, if you are using them, will love you.

• Like 1