Blocked saniflo

Pocster

We are below ground level .

Saniflo blocked - it’s grey water so presume just food waste .

In the future though what should I do ?

Currently it is draining but real slow ( like hours ) . Should I put some ‘tee off ‘ or something in the outlet pipework so I can drain it ??

As you can see even if I drain the sink I’ve still got a nice vertical pipe of stuff to deal with …

IMG_8583.jpeg

IMG_8584.jpeg

This a plug or a screw ? - I think it’s a plug !

So perhaps in the future raise the whole unit a bit so I can get a tray under it ? . Perhaps a ‘channel ‘ that takes the water to the front of the cabinet so easier to empty into a bigger tray ??

IMG_8585.jpeg

1 minute ago, ProDave said:

So if the sink is full and draining slowly, is the motor inside the saniflo running all that time to try and pump it up a presumably now blocked pipe?

No . It’s draining REAL slow . So every 20 mins or so the pump kicks in for a second . I presume the inlet / filter on the pump outlet pipe is blocked ( bet it’s rice ! )

No, that says to me, the water is only slowly trickling IN to the saniflo and the pump comes on when it gets enough to pump for a bit.

I would start dismantling the sink trap and pipework between the trap and the saniflo.

I would have thought if the saniflo was full and only pumping out very slowly, it would keep on pumping.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ProDave said:

No, that says to me, the water is only slowly trickling IN to the saniflo and the pump comes on when it gets enough to pump for a bit.

I would start dismantling the sink trap and pipework between the trap and the saniflo.

I would have thought if the saniflo was full and only pumping out very slowly, it would keep on pumping.

Yeah I suppose it could be the sink trap blocked .
I guess you are presuming pump would keep running if outlet blocked ?

The saniflo unit feels heavy ( as though it’s full ) . Tomorrow will dismantle trap and see .

Saniflo should put legs on unit so it’s easy to get a tray under to drain . Also a screw thread drain not a plug so controlled release of water .

2 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Would you not be better off (expletive deleted)ing of those gash saniflow and gravity feed to a proper twin pump station, that can handle pumping turds without blending it up into a poopie smoothie. 💩🥤

No room for a pumping station under kitchen unit . Do have a pumping station externally for below ground WC - but that’s another story . Which was added afterwards 😩🙄🙄🙄

Edited by Pocster

Call me particular, but things like rice like that, are solid waste as far as I am concerned.  That is what sink strainer baskets are for, so the solid wast goes in the dustbin.  That's me trying to be kind to me treatment plant.  I also try to avoid cooking oil going down the plughole.

I will send the consultancy invoice by email.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Does a dishwasher feed into same trap, I regularly clean both ubends as kids can’t be trusted to scrape or empty sink plug trap. 
dog food bowls are my nightmare. 
sometimes I’d rather just be left to clean dishes and fill dishwasher myself than clean out the ubends every couple of months. 

9 hours ago, Susie said:

Does a dishwasher feed into same trap, I regularly clean both ubends as kids can’t be trusted to scrape or empty sink plug trap. 
dog food bowls are my nightmare. 
sometimes I’d rather just be left to clean dishes and fill dishwasher myself than clean out the ubends every couple of months. 

A dish washer and washer do feed into it aswell . But not via the trap just direct into the saniflo unit .

Rice into compost bin or the council's food bin.  Training required. 

Cement.....? Training required.

I did find a solution  once to a dishwasher not emptying, to be tile grout and bits blocking the pipes. The owner's  relative who had offered to do it, had washed the equipment repeatedly  in the kitchen sink. It goes very hard at the trap and bends.

2 hours ago, Pocster said:

Yeah I was thinking about that . Any recommendations ? . Will chop up human remains ? ( asking for a friend ) 

We got the most expensive insinkerator brand one. Deals with bones just fine. Not tried teeth yet.

May I put in a strong vote for sustainability and against macerators. They are sending even more to the sewage works, ending up as sludge with bone in it. Meanwhile our LA food bins are turning it into methane and energy, and liquid fertiliser. 

Better yet to compost the vegetable matter if feasible. Its much better for the garden than bought in stuff.

I have a feeling that most people on here do think about sustainability as a generally good thing, not just a way of saving money. Maybe that's wishful thinking.