What cable for 200m run to Electric gates

SamSmith

3 minutes ago, FuerteStu said:

Will the intercom need a hardwired connection? 

200m is a long way for wireless. 

While you've got a trench open. Makes sense to drop in a multicore cable alongside the 230v one

Good shout, although be careful of separation distances between power and data to avoid interference. 200mm (I think) for unshielded cables.

10 minutes ago, FuerteStu said:

I've put in a gate supply before, we ran a 12 core 2.5mm in the same trench. That gave them options for remote opening, lighting controls and a digital audio 2 way system.. 

You shouldn't mix voltages and data in the same cable like that. 

23 minutes ago, FuerteStu said:

Depends entirely on the voltages... 

All signals were <24 volts and had appropriate circuit protection. 

Doesn't just depend on the voltages, but on whether some signals are for SELV or not. SELV and mains (or anything >50V) must not be combined in a single cable.

Hence why Dali data lines are not considered SELV and must be treated as if they carry mains, despite being 24V, just as one example.

37 minutes ago, FuerteStu said:

Depends entirely on the voltages... 

All signals were <24 volts and had appropriate circuit protection. 

I stopped listening when you said 25mm2 tbh.

Plus you should take it as 5% not 3.

12 minutes ago, joth said:

Doesn't just depend on the voltages, but on whether some signals are for SELV or not. SELV and mains (or anything >50V) must not be combined in a single cable.

Hence why Dali data lines are not considered SELV and must be treated as if they carry mains, despite being 24V, just as one example.

The data and control cables were all compatible to be in the same cable.. 

The contactor arrangement for switching was recommended by the gate manufacturer. 

2 minutes ago, Onoff said:

I stopped listening when you said 25mm2 tbh.

Plus you should take it as 5% not 3.

That was me, I hoped I’d caveated it enough with 

1 hour ago, LiamJones said:

All depends on how many amps over how many meters.

but clearly not

I'm pretty sure I've seen cables for household car charging points being advertised with the power and data cores in the same cable....

https://www.cef.co.uk/catalogue/products/5243696-3-core-6-0mm-cat5-ev-cable-black-cut-length-sold-by-the-mtr?gclid=CjwKCAjwvfmoBhAwEiwAG2tqzKXgR2l1fhLNZr6BMSCtxQOX5knV9vbL1mAtyUlgWK_NRyrDdYrD_xoCV-YQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

not sure how these work...

1 hour ago, Marvin said:

I'm pretty sure I've seen cables for household car charging points being advertised with the power and data cores in the same cable....

https://www.cef.co.uk/catalogue/products/5243696-3-core-6-0mm-cat5-ev-cable-black-cut-length-sold-by-the-mtr?gclid=CjwKCAjwvfmoBhAwEiwAG2tqzKXgR2l1fhLNZr6BMSCtxQOX5knV9vbL1mAtyUlgWK_NRyrDdYrD_xoCV-YQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

not sure how these work...

Specifically designed with extra protection, both mechanical and shielding on the data side.

To my gate I've a bit of 2.5mm2 3 core swa in a bfo DNO duct (60mm dia?), then two 20mm flexible conduits inside that for camera, gate release etc. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, FuerteStu said:

Will the intercom need a hardwired connection? 

200m is a long way for wireless. 

While you've got a trench open. Makes sense to drop in a multicore cable alongside the 230v one

If you've got a trench open, put in a couple of conduits with drawstrings rather than extra naked cables.

The house to the gate is exactly the tope of place you will have need for a new run at least once in the next decade eg if something like a phone cable or an old data cable breaks, or if you need a new one.

The prices of bigger rolls of conduit falls so sharply that the extra cost is minimal.