Boardwalk ideas

Right OK, this may turn into another motorway crash barrier idea but we need some kind of boardwalk/path between the patio terrace and the pergola. It's about 8 metres in length.

20231004_095851.thumb.jpg.4214c971c4324c5e216a88ed03fafa61.jpg

Bungalow as you look at it from pergola area (needs some softer planting etc we haven't long laid turf and about 40 tonne of topsoil to get it relatively even).

20230929_135510.thumb.jpg.a4acb6a9618ad68c20857888653ce105.jpg

We do like mixing colours and textures and we liked the look of Trex composite decking but it's very expensive (over £2k and the cheaper decking samples we have had look naff). 

We don't want more porcelain and we want it slightly raised and then I came across this. Thinking some nice gravel underneath, edging and planting with succulents or ferns to give some character. Can get it fairly cheap second hand too.

Thoughts....

Screenshot_20231004_111337_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20231004_105001_Chrome.jpg

Edited by canalsiderenovation

It’s all looking very good, well done, as a lover of old things (cottage etc) i was surprised that I like the look of the metal grids with gravel under/around to grow stuff in, yes need some shoes/slippers, but very long lasting (not like wooden decking).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, joe90 said:

It’s all looking very good, well done, as a lover of old things (cottage etc) i was surprised that I like the look of the metal grids with gravel under/around to grow stuff in, yes need some shoes/slippers, but very long lasting (not like wooden decking).

Yes I found a few more ideas. The thought of Trex decking costing about £2k plus for just the materials is just ridiculous.  I reckon with some soft planting this could look pretty good. I think my dad knows where to get it second hand.

Screenshot_20231004_115632_Chrome.thumb.jpg.1b0b39310cef67e05fbf1dd72606d800.jpg

Screenshot_20231004_120010_Chrome.thumb.jpg.cb6fd16b5dc76392f5ede608e816d85c.jpg

10 minutes ago, canalsiderenovation said:

Wouldn't you have shoes on anyway regardless? 

I would but some people don’t (my daughter loves walking bare footed),  also grow thyme through the grids and smell it every time you walk on it 👍

Edited by joe90
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, joe90 said:

There is a lot of that stuff up here, there is even a bridge over the river made from it.  Galvanised steel walkways that probably originated on an oil rig or a ship.

the pontoons at our harbour are made from it as well.  TIP: if you need to kneel on it to tie mooring lines, take a bit of wood with you, otherwise it is like kneeling on a cheese grater.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 20/10/2023 at 17:39, joe90 said:

@canalsiderenovation any developments 🤷‍♂️

Sorry had a new phone after dropping mine in a bucket of oil and didn't get alerts as I wasn't signed in.

No developments.... focusing on getting the garage sorted and watertight and driveway planning and quotes.....  I think we are back to getting the path in porcelain but perhaps a different colour. Until spring we have sort of abandoned it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Back on this.... we are trying to break up the porcelain as we have such a lot of one colour. I'm thinking of something along the lines of this to create a path between the patio and pergola area but using wood effect porcelain and rather than just on grass use some kind of edging (metal perhaps so the paving can be staggered) and then fill with some kind of aggregate with some planting in between aggregate to soften .... presume the porcelain would still need to be laid on mortar and primed etc...

Anyone done anything similar. I am really struggling.

Pic for general idea but these are just laid into grass

Screenshot_20240125_091406_Chrome2.thumb.jpg.e8c1316fb044a86a203a08f15aa655db.jpg

Edited by canalsiderenovation