Spec me: Sound Insulation Please

crispy_wafer

You've got a chance to spend my money for me.

Need about 50m2 of sound insulation for my stud walls.  Thoroughly confuddled, I don't want to end up chasing marginal gains at the expensive end of the market, but likewise It would be nice to see benefit from the effort involved with cutting and fitting.

Typical wall build-up

95mm timber stud, faced on 1 side with 18mm ply + 12.5mm plasterboard on and 12.5mm plasterboard t'other side

and

90mm metal frame with 18mm Ply + PB on one side and PB

The ply is there because it was kindly donated...  So making use of it for it's fixing properties rather than having to think about future placement of tv's and fitting extra noggins.

Most of our commercial jobs separating offices and even bedrooms on Student accommodation use 25 mil and 50 for 300 mil party walls 

It’s simply to stop the sound bouncing around 

For rooms where you’re actually concerned about acoustics, why not also use sound block plasterboard too? Not much more money for belt & braces, and only needs installing on party walls (between habitable spaces) if you want to conserve funds. 
Me personally, I’d put SB boards on every internal wall, and white on ceilings of FF, but again I’d revert to SB on ceilings of GF.

• Thanks 1

Beware if there is a chance of the walls being tested.

It only occurred once for me because there was a certification needed for use.

It failed my target but fortunately was ok because i had overestimated the requirement.

The testing expert said that we cannot rely on the lab published test results because they are for optimum conditions, and a sample panel not a real wall.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, crispy_wafer said:

You've got a chance to spend my money for me.

Need about 50m2 of sound insulation for my stud walls.  Thoroughly confuddled, I don't want to end up chasing marginal gains at the expensive end of the market, but likewise It would be nice to see benefit from the effort involved with cutting and fitting.

Typical wall build-up

95mm timber stud, faced on 1 side with 18mm ply + 12.5mm plasterboard on and 12.5mm plasterboard t'other side

and

90mm metal frame with 18mm Ply + PB on one side and PB

The ply is there because it was kindly donated...  So making use of it for it's fixing properties rather than having to think about future placement of tv's and fitting extra noggins.

The acoustic performance of the wall doesn't depend on the sound insulation - most on the market are pretty identical to each other in terms of both the frequency and absorption because the materials are so similar - what you need to do is go to the insulation manufacturer to get the performance of a specific build up design.

15 hours ago, SimonD said:

The acoustic performance of the wall doesn't depend on the sound insulation - most on the market are pretty identical to each other in terms of both the frequency and absorption because the materials are so similar - what you need to do is go to the insulation manufacturer to get the performance of a specific build up design.

Particularly good advice if...

23 hours ago, saveasteading said:

there was a certification needed for use

So you have some paperwork to support methodology & execution. Most BCO's will just be happy with that tbh.