What roof?

CalvinHobbes

Budget is a massive issue, architect put on a zinc roof on the plans lol. Short of winning the lottery that isn't happening. We have 3 weeks before a roof goes on. Architect directed us to another house with corrugated steel and it did look great. Lots of new products on the market and now at the confused stage lol. Any tips? 

On many projects where the planners wanted  a traditional looking roof, or where the original architect casually wrote down zinc, we used steel.

Choose a profile that can be called "wide pan, low profile" ( the magic words) and in grey or aluzinc. Saves a fortune.

Ie the crowns are about 35mm high at 330 centres.

Standing seam is an option too, but more expensive.

• Thanks 1

Have you had any quotes yet? There wasn’t difference in cost between zinc and Greencoat plx due to the rise in energy costs. There are loads of houses on the Scottish islands with corrugated steel roofs that look to be weathering fine. 

It took me more than 3 weeks to get quotes let alone get the roof fitted. I don’t know where you are but the two roofers I used are completely booked up until next year for example. 

• Thanks 1

On 30/09/2023 at 11:56, Dunc said:

10 years later rather rusty

Some level of competence and training is needed.

I'd have to see more closely but I think this is surface staining from swarf, created by steel particles from cutting, and left on the surface. 

Cutting discs should never be used, but they are. That spreads a dust of iron filings all over and also overheats the steel and the edges will rust.

Paraffin and elbow grease cleans thd surfaces. Damaged ends need painting.

So you need sheet from a recognised supplier. Beware agricultural quality.

Then it needs knowledge. A half decent builder can do cladding but needs to know about cutting. Or you hire the nibbler tool and make them use it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is ours 9 months after cladding. It won't rust or have swarf on it. It was done by our joiner who would have used a grinder but was instructed not to and watched. 

The hire companies didn't stock nibblers which shows how little they are used.

This wasn't intended to resemble a  zinc roof. If it had, we would have used a wider pan. I think £40/m2 probably covers it.

Re another current thread, that's a Lindab gutter on the new build and refurbished cast iron on the original.

20230826_125510.jpg

• Like 2

• 5 months later...