Grand Designs 2023

MR10

That turned out to be one expensive house, that was nearly double their "all we can afford" estimate at the start.

They had no concept of how to save money, e,g I would have made a habitable home in the existing building and saved building the new wing until you could have afforded it.

I think they said they could have bought 3 houses for the cost of building this one.

I agree, shocking amount of money to spend especially when they had to borrow most of it. Can’t understand how they can afford the mortgage. No concept of value for money. I did like most elements of the build but not worth what they spent.

They borrowed a lot of money and I hope they're not forced to sell in a year or two to pay off their debts as I don't think they'll be able to sell that many sweets.

They wanted the best concrete finish for the areas on display and the areas covered up, expensive kitchen, didn't consider doing bits themselves.

Affordability aside though, the finished house was very lovely.

Just watching it. Land for next to nothing. Got bequeathed a house. Already budget blown. A death. A pregnancy. No actual obvious source of income to service the loans other than selling sweets on-line. Award winning architects. Contractors that don’t like it. Great start. 😂 

The architect sounds like my wife’s departed architect father. He also quoted is the Frank Lloyd Wright line that a home should be off the hill not on the hill. Ours is on the hill although we cut some of it out! 

Edited by Kelvin

I’ve had my own stresses this week. Started fitting the gutters to discover I’ve been supplied with too many of the wrong brackets and too few of the right brackets. Frantic phone calls, 4 hour round trip to Highland Industrial Supplies in Inverness and problem solved. Not sure I could cope with being 100s of thousands in debt and over budget. 😂 

Kev’s a nob

Other things to add to grand design top trumps .

Excessively costed feature ( e.g curved roof , cantilevered feature )

Despondent music as project looks like failing before commercial break 

Upbeat music after commercial break as filming is now in spring 

Excessive rain on non water tight structure 

Kev’s expert contradictory view “ A medieval castle “ aka “ a monolithic mess “

Camera pulls back and up as Kev emits a meaningless sound bite to the camera in the final seconds of the episode . I always then tell him to get (expletive deleted)ed . 

The water tank episode was horribly painful to watch. I'm sure Grandad wouldn't have wanted her saddled with all that debt. The episode this Wednesday (Scunthorpe) was much better.  A single dad with 300k and a free plot brought the build in for £375k and had a fantastic house to show for it. It could have been simpler and cheaper with less junctions (and I have my doubts about those heat panels) but he seemed happy with the end result. It was a pretty good price considering he did very little of it himself.