Cupboard Door - Top of Stairs

richo106

Hi All

I just wondered if there is any regulations regarding doors at the top of the stairs etc..

BC have had my plans but not mentioned anything. 

I have messaged my BC officer last week but no reply and no delivering.

Please see attached pictures, I just wondered if anyone could advise on here before I fix the frame in properly.

Many Thanks 

IMG_1203.png

2 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

The door blocks access and fire escape.

can you quote the building regs that specify this as i cant find it ?

Same logic could be applied to any bedroom door or bathroom door opening out into the landing blocking anything downstream etc

Only regs I can see regarding cupboards next to stairs refer to the bottom of a flight not the top.

Doors which swing across a landing at the bottom of a flight should leave a clear space of at least 400mm across the full width of the flight

This is yet again where the Scottish system is better.  You would not get a building warrant until all details like that are agreed, and then you know if you build what has been agreed on the plans, there should be no nasty surprises.

Do English building regs not check the drawings properly before saying go ahead?

1 minute ago, ProDave said:

This is yet again where the Scottish system is better.  You would not get a building warrant until all details like that are agreed, and then you know if you build what has been agreed on the plans, there should be no nasty surprises.

Do English building regs not check the drawings properly before saying go ahead?

depends, if you go for 'full regs' where a plan check is performed (costs more 8 weekish lead time) or building warrant where zero checks are done.

Reality is for most people building a house they employ an architect, the buck should stop with them but as well all know in the real world they are next to useless.

33 minutes ago, Dave Jones said:

can you quote the building regs that specify this as i cant find it ?

Same logic could be applied to any bedroom door or bathroom door opening out into the landing blocking anything downstream etc

Only regs I can see regarding cupboards next to stairs refer to the bottom of a flight not the top.

Doors which swing across a landing at the bottom of a flight should leave a clear space of at least 400mm across the full width of the flight

This is the only thing I can find

I think I might have to give the BC office a call to clarify 

37 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

Or locate the door in the bedroom.

Not sure about the regs to be honest but I would have thought th ecupboard door would hav ebeen better placed in the bedroom, behind the bedroom door. The amount of times it woul dbe used perhaps, may suggest it wouldn't be too much of an eyesore or inconvenience? 

I don’t see why that door is against regs (unless someone can quote them), however I would hang it the other way so if it was open and you rushed to go down the stairs (fire alarm) it will get pushed closed rather than block the top of the stairs. (Fire scape doors open outwards).🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

You need a full landing at the top and bottom of a staircase - you can have a cupboard opening onto it but you need 400mm space between the doors and the top step - you can’t achieve this unless you open the door into the store.

17 hours ago, ETC said:

You need a full landing at the top and bottom of a staircase - you can have a cupboard opening onto it but you need 400mm space between the doors and the top step - you can’t achieve this unless you open the door into the store.

wheres it say this in the regs ?