What am I doing wrong? Trades going AWOL

So, after building most of the house entirely myself, I finally succumbed to getting some trades in to help finish things off. Main items were a chippie and electrician.

I agreed start dates and scope of work with chippie, ordered all the interior doors and then the day before he was going to start he asked if he could reschedule for the following week. I said okay and then the follwing week he texted in sick and I haven't heard from him since.

Next the sparky. He was coming in a day or two per week. Has done 1st fix downstairs ring main, kitchen and a few other things. Now needs to to ring for upstairs and then lighting circuits. I've paid him promptly and just let him get to doing the work. Now I haven'r heard from him in a few weeks and he hasn't returned my calls.

I don't treat my customers in this way and am totally bemused. Am I doing something wrong and if so what could that be?

I'm now starting to wonder if I need to do the electics myself and pay building control for sign off.....☹️

Edited by SimonD

8 minutes ago, TonyT said:

Are you hanging over them all day, ‘supervising’

That can be a tad tiresome,

clockwatching lunch breaks?

No definitely none of that. I'm mostly running around doing my own stuff and out to work myself. I just leave them to it! Never clock watch just allow the progress to happen as it happens too and trust them to do what needs to be done.

• Like 1

Ever heard of a hospital job it could be yours, Through various trades I heard this spoken often as the tradesman would take the job on and use it in emergency s only i.e: if  they were let down on their current job with materials being late or other tradesman not finished so they couldn't do their work or a rain stops play work day then it would be lets go to that job and keep him happy for a day .

On a serious note I feel for you and its not good practise when they don't even contact you.

23 minutes ago, markc said:

On a serious note it’s probably not you, most tradies have had it too good and gotten used to picking and choosing what jobs they work on. 

I do wonder about that. My sister said the same thing, but the electrician dissappearing is mostly what's confounding me as I even did him a full day's work trenching as a favour when he was let down by a ground worker he'd employed.

2 minutes ago, Discoeye said:

Ever heard of a hospital job it could be yours,

I know it well, I'm in the trade too nowadays hence my reference to treating customers. You could very well be right on that.

• Like 1

I "lost" a steelworker. Never found out whether he didn't like the site, the prompt payments, or met with terrible accident. Fortunately found a new one. It's why I specify the work to be done and when I expect it to happen by( if that is a reasonable ask). If neither happen, I state it will be considered a breach of contract. No, the first steelman never got his final payment 🙂 

1 hour ago, HughF said:

Yep, unless you're brown/blue colourblind just do it yourself and pay BC for a sign-off...

Have you done it yourself? I'd be interested to know any experience of the BCO process of this

Your experience is normal.

The term Good Tradesman means:  good at BOTH the job as well as being a good communicator.  A straightforward manner helps too. On our job, most were excellent. One or two weren't. But you always think that you are the one at fault and not them. I'm very lucky in as much as the locals who walk past our site to whom I chat, have exactly the same moans and groans about exactly the same trades people.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, SimonD said:

Have you done it yourself? I'd be interested to know any experience of the BCO process of this

I've done loads of illegal electrics over the years :D

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, SimonD said:

I did all the circuit design, first and second fix myself. The BCO told me they didn't do electrical certification so I sorted beforehand for my son in law's friend to carry out the required checks after each stage and issue the Part P Certificate.

• Thanks 1