Reclaimed Railway Sleepers

Hiya

We are waiting to do a raised border/bed due to some difficulty with levels in the garden. We are thinking railway sleepers. We want the old kind, the stuff that is unlikely to fall apart in 12 months.

So far we have been quoted £25 for hardwood and £28.50 for reclaimed (8ft). What the difference and anyone know of any cheaper?

I've seen the concrete ones too but no idea on pricing.

The proper reclaimed railway sleepers that really have seen previous use on the railways will have so much "stuff" impregnated in them, they will never rot.  They would be my choice if you can get them.

Cue someone else to come along and tell you how nasty all the stuff in them is and to avoid. 

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Cue someone else to come along and tell you how nasty all the stuff in them is and to avoid. 

Oh yes strongly carcinogenic and on top of that “train toilets”, but then again your not going to lick or eat them, it’s no wonder they last forever 👍 (it’s what I would use 😎).

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Oh yes strongly carcinogenic and on top of that “train toilets”, but then again your not going to lick or eat them, it’s no wonder they last forever 👍 (it’s what I would use 😎).

Yes and to add, if you want to use your raised bed to grow veg, don't use reclaimed in case that stuff leaches into the soil.

• Thanks 1

It obviously depends on quality control, but do not assume that simply because they are marinated in sh** reclaimed railway sleepers will be fine long-term, particularly if used in a retaining situation or as a raised bed. AFAIK railway sleepers in their 'original habitat' were bedded in free-draining ballast, which tends to draw the water away from them, where raised beds or retaining situations may tend to hold the water against the sleeper. I bought several, some of which still seem OK as a retaining wall with loose fill behind (again - drainage, not wet soil) and others which rotted out pretty soon.

• Like 1

I've used proper old ones to retain a veg patch. I lined the sides facing the soil with dpc. Hope it works as I've just done a raised bed right up against it.

20230709_111108

They do tend to leach tar especially in hot weather. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ToughButterCup said:

For God's sake Clive, please stop putting images on here such that SWMBO says pointing at your posts ....

"You know , like that .... "

I never let SWMBO see any posts - for my own safety!!

• Haha 2

Fab, we actually have some on the old railway sleepers on the embankment where our motorway crash barriers are. I suspect from the old railway that was dismantled in the 60s and the fact they are still there and intact (but partly buried in places) makes me tempted to go with the reclaimed ones.

The place we have seen them have sent pics of reclaimed and hardwood.

Screenshot_20230709-153034.thumb.png.5f622facde67f5edfed2dbdadfe8a7ef.png

Screenshot_20230709-153029.thumb.png.4707b05f7b7291fe2cf464d2da5d7e26.png

I got this lot for free on Facebook Marketplace. To be precise my nephew spotted them and we went down to Medway in his pikey truck.

Likely plenty in that locale,, what with Chatham Dockyard etc. 

The people were remodeling their garden and wanted shot of them. Some look very old, others newer.

20220505_193217

4 hours ago, ToughButterCup said:

For God's sake Clive, please stop putting images on here such that SWMBO says pointing at your posts ....

"You know , like that .... "

S'funny, my missus points at your house and says similar!

• Haha 1