Damaged UFH pipe

richo106

I have started installing my UFH pipes and typically on my longest and most complicated run I put the worlds largest kink in it that I not happy with. It’s only 5m from the manifold

I have read on here that people have repaired there UFH pipes with a straight coupler

Would people take the whole loop out and replace it or replace a small section with a coupler? If so could you recommend any at all? Would plumbers merchants sell them? 

It’s for my first floor heating and is the fix from below method on spreader plates 

13 minutes ago, Conor said:

Pressure test it first. A kinked pipe might be stronger than a coupler.

It’s literally bent at 90 degrees and slightly twisted, it’s right on a bend and I’ve tried to straighten it but as soon as I bend it again it kinks really bad in the same place.

1 minute ago, richo106 said:

It’s literally bent at 90 degrees and slightly twisted, it’s right on a bend and I’ve tried to straighten it but as soon as I bend it again it kinks really bad in the same place.

You could try a cold forming bend and then pressure test.

Just now, richo106 said:

I haven’t got the equipment to pressure test and my plumber who I use is away for 2 weeks from yesterday 🙈

The only safe way to proceed is test and or replace, I couldn't sleep knowing that might come back in the future and cause problems. Feel your pain

4 minutes ago, richo106 said:

Do I just bite the bullet and replace it!?

Yup, if you’re not comfortable with repairing it without your plumber?

Short cuts typically create 3x as much work, so just pull it out, sooty the pain with beer, and thank yourself afterwards. 

Found a pic.  Obv would have restricted the flow.

The screed was next day, I found this, and another like it.

the plumber wasn't interested in coming out to help. It straughtened nicely* and I trust this more than a splice. The ufh has run for about 3 solid days subsequently so seems OK.

* removed the clips and eased it to a smooth curve. Then crimped the dent back to tube shape . Eased the curve some more then clipped it down.

IMG-20220903-WA0002.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, saveasteading said:

Found a pic.  Obv would have restricted the flow.

The screed was next day, I found this, and another like it.

the plumber wasn't interested in coming out to help. It straughtened nicely* and I trust this more than a splice. The ufh has run for about 3 solid days subsequently so seems OK.

* removed the clips and eased it to a smooth curve. Then crimped the dent back to tube shape . Eased the curve some more then clipped it down.

IMG-20220903-WA0002.jpg

Ouch…. Hope you weren’t paying the labourers who laid that 🤣

1 hour ago, Nickfromwales said:

Pert pipe, so basically like a garden hose

The pipe was really hard  not like a garden hose. Although I guess it was pressurised.

I did the reforming with the vice grips myself as nobody else had confidence to do so.  I was surprised how well it went back to shape, and with no signs of damage 

This photo was of a twist through incompetence I think. The rest was better and could be walked on.

Should we be concerned?

Presumably the choice of pipe is fit for purpose, but  not the best.

1 hour ago, Alan Ambrose said:

it's built to withstand a bit of mishandling on site.

And now it is encased in screed. Its OK.

My main concern is that the plumber allowed it...an insufficiently skilled oppo used to lay it, then no inspection. And a lack of concern when  informed.

If undetected, it would have been like a valve almost turned off.

I checked the whole layout, ( i am hardbittten)whereas our family on site used to assume that all contractors were skilled and cared. Especially the nice ones. No longer.

9 hours ago, saveasteading said:

The third division staff sent by the plumber, who's performance otherwise has been v good.

It changes the relationship from total trust to a level of doubt.

How does the labourer even manage to tie his shoes in the morning if he can't see tha ta kink like that is a fail?

Probably too busy thinking about skirt, or doing another line of gear in the van :D

6 hours ago, saveasteading said:

The pipe was really hard  not like a garden hose. Although I guess it was pressurised.

It’s single wall pipe, vs the multi-layer. 
All ‘fit for purpose’ but if I posted you an off cut of the other you’d immediately see the difference.

The bottom line is, this will be 10 bar capable and rarely see more than 1.5-2. I’d say you can sleep soundly tbh. ;)  

• Like 1

I’ve replaced that loop now so can sleep easy now.

one other question do to my layout and pipe runs there is a couple of sections where they run close together and some may even touch, I’ve read on BH that people lag/insulation them near the manifold?

Can any one recommended any lagging to use? Need to be able to be added after and it’s just to ensure no pipes touch when going through a hole etc

Thanks again 

3 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

It’s single wall pipe, vs the multi-layer. 
All ‘fit for purpose’ but if I posted you an off cut of the other you’d immediately see the difference.

The bottom line is, this will be 10 bar capable and rarely see more than 1.5-2. I’d say you can sleep soundly tbh. ;)  

pex-al-pex really is fantastic stuff. I've hammered it flat, drilled a hole through it, then used a winch to pull it through a tortuous duct before. Amazing stuff, I love it.

I didn't have enough to do my recent UFH so went with some Continal that I had in stock, seems robust but a bit more springy.