Cleaning cement mixer for 2nd batch of mortar

Does anyone know if it is necessary to clean the cement mixer prior to mixing a second batch of mortar ? 

Creating concrete doesn't require cleaning the concrete mixer except a quick slosh of water. However when making mortar, some of mortar sticks to the inside of the barrel. 

Any leftover mortar or concrete will, at some stage come loose. It shouldn't mix with new stuff.

Clean it.

A bucket of water to kill the cement. Then 1/4 brick or some aggregate to rub off the rest

Typically a brickies' labourer will clean it without being told. They don't want lumps in their mix, regardless whose machine it is.

Edited by saveasteading

In 40 years of bricklaying the only time we have cleaned a mixer out between batches is if we change the mix. The residue of the previous mix should be of the same ratios as the next mix so why would you want to clean it out. 

14 minutes ago, Canski said:

why would you want to clean it out. 

So it doesn't become a hard lump in the mix, or contain cement that no longer performs chemically. A small proportion but no different to using  spent  winded cement

What is your view on the  outside of the drum? Clean it or bang the hard stuff off later with a shovel.

For clarity I don't mean between every  batch necessarily but at the end of the day.

Between batches? Well how far apart are they? It can be set over lunch break

1 hour ago, saveasteading said:

So it doesn't become a hard lump in the mix, or contain cement that no longer performs chemically. A small proportion but no different to using  spent  winded cement

What is your view on the  outside of the drum? Clean it or bang the hard stuff off later with a shovel.

For clarity I don't mean between every  batch necessarily but at the end of the day.

Between batches? Well how far apart are they? It can be set over lunch break

Obviously it needs cleaning out at the end of the day but not during the day which is what the OP seemed to be asking. The outside of the drum is of no use to anyone so let it look like it wants to. They only get cleaned for the first day in real life. You may have guessed I have Triggers mixer😜 I’ve had it 30 years though it’s had one new drum 2 new stands,  one new motor and a new switch and one new wheel. I have had a belle petrol for 7 years now and have never even changed the spark plug. It’s runs like a dream. 

Thank you for all the reply's.

I think it would be a good idea to idea to clean the drum before mixing a second batch. It only takes me about 10 - 15 minutes using a hose, a dish washing brush and a 40 litre bucket. 

Never heard of a brickies labourer before. Must be a considerable help for the pro brick layers who lay 100's of bricks per day.

9 hours ago, smart70 said:

Never heard of a brickies labourer before

You'll never see anyone work so hard. Usually servicing 2 brickies.

He brings bricks to exactly where they want them*, plus mortar as required ( brickies shouts Pug, Muck, Stuff or the local term.)

Cleans the mixer on completion.

First thing in the morning he gets out of the van, running, to get the mixer going.

* which might be up a ladder with a hod.

9 hours ago, smart70 said:

Never heard of a brickies labourer before.

A dying breed I recon, you don’t see hod carrier's anymore, on a lot of sites muck (mortar) is delivered ready mixed in big tubs lifted onto scaffolding with a telehandler along with the bricks 🤷‍♂️.

IMG_0165.jpeg

• Like 1

18 hours ago, smart70 said:

Never heard of a brickies labourer before. Must be a considerable help for the pro brick layers who lay 100's of bricks per day.

My best one is 63 and has been with me 22 years. He has destroyed so many younger lads in his time. He used to keep 4 Brickies going and now in his older years 3.  He drives the forklift, points up, rakes out, fixes the insulation and we never wait for anything. He is an absolute God send.  If I asked him to wash the mixer out 10 times a day I don’t think that I would see him ever again. 

1 hour ago, jayc89 said:

I've had a mixer on all day for a screed floor, no time to clean in between mixes. No problem. Clean out between mixes and after the last mix. 

Is it just me that’s confused here ?

Never once cleaned a mixer out between mixes in all my years. Unless you're going from a grey to a coloured mortar your only wasting water.

Having been a brickies labourer it's a very physically demanding job that is way harder than it looks. How much the brickies and you earn is all on you. If they have to stop to stack bricks, put scaffolding up etc then they aren't laying bricks so aren't making money. It's as simple as that. You job is to keep the bricks stacked, mortar boards full and the next wall loaded out. Their job is to keep a trowel in hand, lay bricks and make the money. 

• Like 1

When the labourer is getting the first mix on and distributing bricks, the brickies are in the van eating bacon rolls.

I found brickies labourers  generally had pride in their work. I always assumed, and hoped, they got a bung at the end of a good week.

• Haha 1

I had an old school builder and his lackies come do some work for us. He must be in his late 50s and the rest were pretty young 20-30. The job was done over a couple of days and whenever I was around he was the only guy doing any of the work! They'd dumped a load of left over cement onto our existing rubble pile and on the last day I found him breaking it up so it's easier for us to get rid of. 

Proper top bloke, but think he needs to learn to delegate more 🤣

1 hour ago, joe90 said:

Or TEACH ?

He's certainly a teacher, think he's actually some sort of lecturer in his spare time. Our house is pretty old and when he's been around he can stand chatting for hours about random building facts, last time was brick bonds, 

• Like 1