can someone share a Howdens account?

hi all,

a bit of a weird request, but we found a local Howdens who will, in principle, sell me a kitchen as long as I have a trade account. is there anyone happy to share theirs? we already have good quotes from other suppliers (DIY Kitchens, Wickes, Magnet etc.), but I prefer Howdens if I have the choice.

thanks!

When I applied for an account (before I retired) they did not want much to prove I was in the trade, when after I retired my mate wanted a kitchen and I went with him (different town) and told them I used to have an account and was fitting a kitchen fir my mate and they opened an account fir him/me.

1 hour ago, johnhenstock83 said:

how? I'm not a trader...

is there a trick where you can get away with being a DIY builder?

It doesn’t matter 

Just put Jim’s kitchens 

There trade accounts are as real as Trust a trader references 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, johnhenstock83 said:

how? I'm not a trader...

is there a trick where you can get away with being a DIY builder?

yep 

Think up a trading name, set up a suitable gmail and then tick the sole trader box, they will then credit score you against your home address and an account will follow 

• Like 1

As above just tick the sole trader box , I set up an account this way . Rep had been to visit my home more than once and knows full well I not in the trade but he has sold me doors ,door handles , skirting,architraves, utility and he hopes a kitchen.  

Good prices on most things and free coffee and biscuits. 

Just be aware that technically speaking business-to-business contracts don't have the same legal protections as business-to-consumer.

I'm not certain how the Consumer Rights Act would handle a situation if you actually are a consumer but had told the supplier you were a trader. But I suspect they could at least try to argue you should only have b2b rights.

Obviously you'd hope a well-known brand would be keen to resolve things through goodwill anyway, so it may not have any practical impact. But just be aware.

I have a Howdens account as a sole trader.  As they advertise "Trade Only" you would lose any battle claiming you bought as a consumer.  But what rights are you worried about as a consumer?  I had no problem getting a kitchen appliance repaired under warranty.

Also had no problem submitting the VAT receipt and getting that refunded as part of my VAT claim.

If you really don't want to do that and you know someone with an account, there is nothing to stop someone buying stuff for you and selling it to you at cost price, but then the VAT receipt would be in their name so you probably would not be able to claim the VAT back.

2 hours ago, ProDave said:

I have a Howdens account as a sole trader.  As they advertise "Trade Only" you would lose any battle claiming you bought as a consumer.  But what rights are you worried about as a consumer?  I had no problem getting a kitchen appliance repaired under warranty.

Wouldn't say I'm worried, just worth being aware of the status.

My understanding is the majority of the automatic rules around fitness for purpose (especially over time), faulty products, minimum warranty period etc are only enforceable for consumer contracts.

For business to business the assumption is the customer has the knowledge to agree a contract they're happy with and the ability to sue for breach of contract if required. There's much less option to get e.g. trading standards or similar in to enforce anything as a statutory right.

As I said, in practical terms with a reputable retailer I'd imagine it would make no difference especially in clear-cut disputes. Not least as a lot of retailers have discretionary returns/warranty policies that go beyond statutory minimum anyway.

So I wouldn't expect it to be an issue with Howdens but in more general terms would just keep in the back of my mind that one reason trade prices are lower is that the supplier is carrying less liability. And that it is more important to read the actual T&C's of any quote/contract.

Probably wouldn't matter to me, but might to some people.

At the start of our project I had to drag my son-in-law in to the local builders merchant as they are alien places to the public, and there is a fear of being embarrassed using the wrong terminology.

He ended up with a very comfortable relationship, very professional and helpful service and mostly unbeatable

prices, always including delivery at a modest sum.

Ditto Howdens.