Help - scary security situation

2 hours ago, Adsibob said:

Hopefully you are right.  Will do. Any thoughts on whether I need a “special” waterproof patch cable to connect up the external WAP?

Amazon sell ready made outdoor patch cables in various lengths. I bought a load to install temporary WAP's on my current project as the mobile signal was dire or non-existent. They have been stood on, left out in all weathers, and everything else in-between. Still worked after over 18 months of that.

6 hours ago, Adsibob said:

My query is whether the regular white patch cable is okay to use outdoors? It clearly states on the product page that it is only for indoor use. Am I better getting a patch cable rated for external use?

If it's underneath the soffit in shade I'd chance an indoor cable, otherwise I'd get an external one. The difference is in the cable sheathing and its UV resistance.

For a temporay tack-up your indoor one would be fine. [Edit: or permanent, so long as if it stops working in 10-15 years you want to get back up there and replace it]

Best of luck tonight.

Edited by Sparrowhawk

43 minutes ago, Adsibob said:

The reason I ask is that to find an outdoor rated (waterproof and UV resistant) patch cable that is already terminated, there are not many options. I probably only need 5m, but only thing I've found is 15m plus and costs more than £24. I also need it to be white.

How have others wired their external WAPs? @Iceverge, @Thorfun, @Dreadnaught and @joth any of you run ethernet cable externally?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/World-Data-Cat6-Network-Premium-Ethernet/dp/B002K75KCE/ref=sr_1_16?crid=1JPJOY1MI3C6E&keywords=5m+external+patch+cable+white&qid=1687196419&sprefix=5m+external+patch+cable+white%2Caps%2C86&sr=8-16

Just change it if / when it dies. Will probably last for years tbh.

2 hours ago, Adsibob said:

The reason I ask is that to find an outdoor rated (waterproof and UV resistant) patch cable that is already terminated, there are not many options. I probably only need 5m, but only thing I've found is 15m plus and costs more than £24. I also need it to be white.

How have others wired their external WAPs? @Iceverge, @Thorfun, @Dreadnaught and @joth any of you run ethernet cable externally?

2 hours ago, Big Jimbo said:

I am not any of the above people, but my cameras, poe. The wires have been outdoors for 6 years, just slung over the roof. Still working no probs.

I have a Unify WAP outside under the eaves of the existing bungalow that connects to one in the new house setup temporarily to get wifi in there so my Inverter and batteries can communicate with the world and I can monitor them. I have run cheap cat5a cable slung across a conservatory roof like @Big Jimbo says and has been out there all the last winter and it still works! you can get outdoor rated cable if you want to though. can even get armoured in case you want to reduce the risk of someone cutting it. also, don't buy pre-terminated cable. just buy the connectors and terminate it yourself. 😉 

Wrap some black tape around it or colour to match area it will be installed, will help it last from the UV but imagine you will get 10plus years out of it if twin and earth flung outside has anything to go by,

you could always sleeve with plastic kopex if it were a concern..

17 hours ago, Thorfun said:

just buy the connectors and terminate it yourself. 😉 

But then I need to buy a crimping too as well don’ti I? Hardly seems worth it for one cable

Edited by Adsibob

45 minutes ago, Adsibob said:

But then I need to buy a crimping too as well don’ti I? Hardly seems worth it for one cable

maybe one cable now....until the next one.....and then the next one. 😉

21 minutes ago, Adsibob said:

Would also need to learn how to use it, though this suggests it’s not rocket science: https://www.wikihow.com/Crimp-Rj45

definitely not rocket science!

but, if it is truly a one-off then probably no point. but i always seem to be needing a new length of network cable so having the crimpers has been useful.

38 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Conversely I would recommend going with factory made ends, as these will resist moisture etc better. The tool will costs as much as the ready-made cable ;)

This.

When making your own cables you can do it with cheap tools, but it's way easier (and IMO reliable) with the expensive (better made) ones. By which time you could've bought 50m of ready made ones and saved yourself the hassle :D

If you're doing a big project, can recommend https://www.cablemonkey.co.uk/. I've listed one of my leftovers in the marketplace but also have more.

22 hours ago, Adsibob said:

Afaik outdoor rated cable comes in any colour you like so long as it is black. You can either paint it, put it in some white conduit (and which point being outdoor rated is less of a big deal anyway) or just use indoor rated white patch lead. If it's 5m it should be easy enough to replace once every 20years or whatever MTBF is if abused like this.

The only cable I have externally is in conduit, or to CCTV. Both are black outdoor cable and not visible except one tiny bit to a camera which I painted over white.