Sliding bathroom doors?

jayc89

Our en-suite is pretty tight, I wouldn’t fancy a standard door opening either into it, or the wardrobe at the other side.

Any recommendations for sliding doors? Are they any good? Preferably frameless, glazed (frosted) and one that can be locked.

1 hour ago, jayc89 said:

Are they any good?

If you can afford high-end hardware from a premium manufacturer, maybe. Otherwise no. Due to the running gear they're not quiet (which is especially a problem in a bedroom) and they often don't close properly. If it's a pocket door there are additional issues of access for cleaning, maintenance and repair.

The room's approx 4.5 x 2.5. The door is on the longer wall, so a pocket or slider would work. There is to be nothing within the stud wall other than sound insulation and the UFH controller for the bathroom, which I can fix at the opposite side. In fact a pocket might be nice as it could took away behind what will become the shower area in the bathroom, so otherwise wasted wall space. 

Any recommendations on decent manufacturers I should look at?

Looks like they come in 2x sizes. 100mm to fit a 3x2 stud wall + 12.5mm PB each side or 125mm to fit a 4x2 stud wall with 12.5mm PB each side. Also seen people suggest lining with ply first.

Should I go for the 125mm frame and use 4x2 and PB straight over, or 125mm frame with a 3x2 stud wall and a layer of ply before PB?

@pocster seems like you’ve had fun with these frames before?

45 minutes ago, jayc89 said:

Looks like they come in 2x sizes. 100mm to fit a 3x2 stud wall + 12.5mm PB each side or 125mm to fit a 4x2 stud wall with 12.5mm PB each side. Also seen people suggest lining with ply first.

Should I go for the 125mm frame and use 4x2 and PB straight over, or 125mm frame with a 3x2 stud wall and a layer of ply before PB?

@pocster seems like you’ve had fun with these frames before?

Oh Jesus ! Oh Christ ! Please , please don’t make me cry 

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

What is wrong with a Poundland shower curtain.

They are made from a special plastic that not only instantly clings to a naked, soapy body, but also saps all the heat out of you.

Ever considered a job in sales?

35 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

What is wrong with a Poundland shower curtain.

They are made from a special plastic that not only instantly clings to a naked, soapy body, but also saps all the heat out of you.

Ah! That's where they are from!

5 hours ago, jayc89 said:

So …..

yes ! But (expletive deleted) me ! 8 instructions - you choose the ‘right ‘ one - or give up and experiment….

Then apparently you should have built the ‘pocket’ before you built the room . I spoke to the guy at Eclisse and he was a prick - it’s all my fault ( that I bought their product ! ) .

The quality is excellent - support is (expletive deleted) you ; you (expletive deleted)ing install it you thick worthless shit bag (expletive deleted) .

So yeah ; buy by all means ….

1 minute ago, SteamyTea said:

Yes.

I walked out of a sales job because the company was so dishonest I did not want to be associated with them.

Was it buildhub ‘sales’ bimbo job ? . Down  in (expletive deleted) wall where you live ?

Edited by pocster
I hate spell check bs

7 minutes ago, pocster said:

Was it buildhub ‘sales’ bimbo job ? . Down  in (expletive deleted) wall where you live ?

No Bristol, rentals to desperate people.

Was a right (expletive deleted) who liked to cheat his tenants.

Had a place in Florida and loved Apples.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

No Bristol, rentals to desperate people.

Was a right (expletive deleted) who liked to cheat his tenants.

Had a place in Florida and loved Apples.

Think I know him . A right ball bag (expletive deleted) muther (expletive deleted)er rag ass 

On 14/06/2023 at 08:13, jayc89 said:

Our en-suite is pretty tight, I wouldn’t fancy a standard door opening either into it, or the wardrobe at the other side.

Any recommendations for sliding doors? Are they any good? Preferably frameless, glazed (frosted) and one that can be locked.

Will the en-suite get a lot of use? We have a sliding pocket door on one of ours. They are annoying to open and close frequently. Hard to do quickly without banging against the stops. If yours is between en-suite and walk through wardrobe perhaps it would be left open most of the time thecen-suite is in use? 

2 hours ago, Temp said:

Will the en-suite get a lot of use? We have a sliding pocket door on one of ours. They are annoying to open and close frequently. Hard to do quickly without banging against the stops. If yours is between en-suite and walk through wardrobe perhaps it would be left open most of the time thecen-suite is in use? 

It's for the master suite so will be used daily. Having said that, the current en-suite door is left open the majority of the day unless someone's in there.

2 hours ago, crispy_wafer said:

bought one, looked at it and thought feck that, altered the design slightly to escape from having to mess about with it.  Bifold door can work in some circumstances, they aren't for everyone though so may or may not work.

What changed your mind? Looking at the YouTube videos, the Eclisse ones at least, look pretty easy to assemble. 

Think ours is an Eclisse. Its been awhile since we did ours but I think the end result is fine. Important things...

Bear in mind the open width will be less for a sliding door because the whole door doesn't dissapear into the pocket. So you might want a bigger door?

Pick a door handle early on because it's position and dimensions are needed to set the door stop. Eg to prevent the handle squashing your hand against the frame when fully opened.

Use the right screws to fix the plasterboard to the pocket/frame. Don't over tighten. This is to avoid the pointy ends going in too far and scratching the door when you open it.

If you can choose a light weight door. Easier to accelerate and decelerate it.