Wife says ashp doednt look good

14 hours ago, eniacs said:

We are planning an extension that would encompass that space... Its also more of a hassle for the piping there i think

Is there an opportunity to incorporate a position for the heatpump during your extension works? You'll be ripping stuff open and there might be a more suitable location. As some have said, wall mounting is an option. You've a garage, plenty of other walls... Front of the house would be worse case scenario for me.

Have you done / doing renovation / upgrade works? What's the context of the install? Digging a few trenches and some new pipework might be relatively small comapred to your bigger plans.

Some suggestions;

Green arrows - just behind that fence - cant see if it's doors or windows - assume worst case lift the existing flowerbed and put it there instead?

Yellow arrows - right hand side of the path @ 90 degrees to the house?

or on the front of that timber building?
or first floor near the back of the property?

Can you share more pics of the side of the house and/or plans for that area?

As much as there's nothing wrong with infrastructure technology; personally I wouldn't stick it by the front door. Obv. not my house so take that with a pinch of salt.

Screenshot 2023-06-11 at 09.35.19.jpg

6 hours ago, RichardL said:

Some suggestions;

Green arrows - just behind that fence - cant see if it's doors or windows - assume worst case lift the existing flowerbed and put it there instead?

Yellow arrows - right hand side of the path @ 90 degrees to the house?

or on the front of that timber building?
or first floor near the back of the property?

Can you share more pics of the side of the house and/or plans for that area?

As much as there's nothing wrong with infrastructure technology; personally I wouldn't stick it by the front door. Obv. not my house so take that with a pinch of salt.

Screenshot 2023-06-11 at 09.35.19.jpg

HI Richard,

Thanks for taking the time to help.

The green arrows are a good place, but under a bedroom window there and would block the alley space between garage and house too much. The bins live there and we run a business from the garage so access is pretty important. Stock is often stored here too.

Mounted on top of the roof or to the house wall would shade part of the solar panels fitted here. 

The yellow arrows to the right are a good spot, however only undesirable because of the long pipe run. Adding probably 2x 10m bits of pipe to be buried.

I've ordered some black wrap to test wrap one of the steel panels. Possibly this will make it stick out less like a sore thumb... Im inclined to leave it and see how we get used to it. LIke you say with infrastructure, its necesary and usually ugly. Like the myriad of grey/green/black street boxes with various BT gear in and the huge poles they put up everywhere to hang wires from. 

7 hours ago, Conor said:

Is there an opportunity to incorporate a position for the heatpump during your extension works? You'll be ripping stuff open and there might be a more suitable location. As some have said, wall mounting is an option. You've a garage, plenty of other walls... Front of the house would be worse case scenario for me.

Have you done / doing renovation / upgrade works? What's the context of the install? Digging a few trenches and some new pipework might be relatively small comapred to your bigger plans.

HI Conor, Its possible it would be a better location once the extension is done, however its years away i think.

Weve done a complete replumb inside of the heating system, all new fan coil radiators and large bore piping. No other refurb of the house at the moment, it was refreshed about 8 years ago so mostly ok.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ReedRichards said:

Personally I would dig up that flat featureless lawn and make a flower bed with an evergreen shrub in front of the heat pump so it isn't visible unless you are right in front of it.

That's the best idea so far, hide in plain sight. Move it to the middle of the plain wall, near the green gateway, where the path is quite wide, so should get away without changing that.  Make a slightly raised bed in the rounded off grass area get some evergreen shrubs, sorted. Do the bed first, then no-one will notice anything after.

On 10/06/2023 at 13:33, JohnMo said:

Don't you need planning permission to site at front of house? Not sure that location is classed as permitted development.

First I have heard of that. Mine is mounted to the front wall of the house under the kitchen window but will be screened from the road by shrubs when the landscaping is finished. Nobody mentioned planning requirements to me when siting it, and it was part of a major extension project with planning officers' involvement.

Edited by Bob77
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bob77 said:

First I have heard of that. Mine is mounted to the front wall of the house under the kitchen window but will be screened from the road by shrubs when the landscaping is finished. Nobody mentioned planning requirements to me when siting it, and it was part of a major extension project with planning officers' involvement.

Bob I doubt anyone will care in your local neighbourhood, and if anyone does care, they wont know its against planning. I will just be putting mine in the front garden and moving it if forced I think. I will disguise it a bit so it doesn't look so bad.

9 hours ago, AChristie said:

Don't ASHP have to be a min of 1metre from neighbouring boundary??

They do for installation under permitted development, but I don't see the OP is at risk of violating that

On 15/06/2023 at 16:11, Bob77 said:

So long as it's not a listed building, conservation area or world heritage site, there's no restriction on placing it in front of the house / towards a highway under PD.

There's a general PD rule that siting should minimise impact on external appearance and amenity so far as practicable, have fun interpreting that.

3 hours ago, joth said:

They do for installation under permitted development, but I don't see the OP is at risk of violating that

So long as it's not a listed building, conservation area or world heritage site, there's no restriction on placing it in front of the house / towards a highway under PD.

There's a general PD rule that siting should minimise impact on external appearance and amenity so far as practicable, have fun interpreting that.

@AChristie 1m from the boundary not from any neighour, I doubt in this example that the front of the house is within the boundary.

• All parts of the air source heat pump must be at least one metre from the property boundary

https://www.planningportal.co.uk/permission/common-projects/heat-pumps/planning-permission-air-source-heat-pump

4 hours ago, joth said:

world heritage site

Having been put into one of these, the restrictions are quite onerous.  Not at if Cornwall really needed yet another mining, fishing or art museum.

Makes me want to live in Milton Keynes again.

1 minute ago, saveasteading said:

My favourite bits in Poldark were when they hit a new shoal in the pilchard mine, or spotted seagulls over a seam of tin  out at sea.

Fish mines, I am told by the oldies, are going to be bigger than tourism again.

No (expletive deleted)ing tourist museum.

2 minutes ago, pocster said:

Nobody lives in Milton Keynes ; they simply exist .

Say a man that has probably never been there.