How to hide manhole covers in garden

Modern houses have a shocking amount of drains, manholes, valves and gubbins that are all strewn about the property. 

I have one very prominent manhole that is sadly fairly annoyingly positioned in my upcoming garden. It's the access to the pipes, pumps and similar devices that lead to the underground water tank. 

Does anyone have suggestions on how to hide these?

Assuming for a moment it will have to be 'hidden' in plants, how would you do it?

- Fake grass could work but isn't super nice.

- Real grass needs soil, so won't work unless I raise the entire grass at least 100mm which is a pretty serious lift

- A plant bed with a shrub that grows wide might work? 

- Could create a slight "hill" style feature?

#1 - not a problem I think, probably paving

#2 - annoying, but can be sunk fairly deep, I think grass can grow over it. (and in case of access we'll need to dig it up)

#3 - probably a garden feature (plant beds) there anyway

#4 - This is the problem. Needs to be accessible "fairly regularly" 

There will (likely) be a shed in the far corner - the white toilet roughly - so I imagine we could create a slightly awkward path (tiles) to there and put the manhole in the path.

Open for suggestions

image.jpeg.978d399b21ab2bf586e8f11757478a73.jpeg

14 hours ago, puntloos said:

Modern houses have a shocking amount of drains, manholes, valves and gubbins that are all strewn about the property. 

I have one very prominent manhole that is sadly fairly annoyingly positioned in my upcoming garden. It's the access to the pipes, pumps and similar devices that lead to the underground water tank. 

Does anyone have suggestions on how to hide these?

Assuming for a moment it will have to be 'hidden' in plants, how would you do it?

- Fake grass could work but isn't super nice.

- Real grass needs soil, so won't work unless I raise the entire grass at least 100mm which is a pretty serious lift

- A plant bed with a shrub that grows wide might work? 

- Could create a slight "hill" style feature?

#1 - not a problem I think, probably paving

#2 - annoying, but can be sunk fairly deep, I think grass can grow over it. (and in case of access we'll need to dig it up)

#3 - probably a garden feature (plant beds) there anyway

#4 - This is the problem. Needs to be accessible "fairly regularly" 

There will (likely) be a shed in the far corner - the white toilet roughly - so I imagine we could create a slightly awkward path (tiles) to there and put the manhole in the path.

Open for suggestions

image.jpeg.978d399b21ab2bf586e8f11757478a73.jpeg

better planning at the design stage.

@Dave Jones True, but shit happens, and this is resolvable, we are human and self builders at that!  We often have other day jobs, and not everything we tackle is done with loads of knowledge, history and hindsight.  Layouts change, and even the best laid initial plans over time become obsolete, and as the structure goes up we start thinking 'what if' or someone says ' it would be nice if'.  👍,  hell, I've pretty much redone all my external soil and grey water runs because what looked acceptable on paper, looked cack in real life.

Anyway, i'd go with what Conor says, recessed and filled with your topping of choice.  Over time it will become less noticeable.  Get or paint a green lid, or grass topped one - C-11 GrassTop Recessed Manhole Cover, 450 dia - Grass Top Covers

• Like 1

16 hours ago, jfb said:

I set a couple below the surface of the lawn. I know where they are if I need to get to them even if it probably wouldn’t pass building control!

Does lawn grow properly over it though? I'm told you need a good amount of soil for grass to take?

3 hours ago, puntloos said:

Does lawn grow properly over it though? I'm told you need a good amount of soil for grass to take?

Well depends how low you go. I think mine are about 150mm below the surface

5 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

+1.  Fill with soil and turf over level with the rest of the lawn.  The grass seems to grow fine.

Put your microwave on the access chamber . Apart from the beep no one will know it’s there .

• Haha 1