help which tile?

Hi, we are swapping from a standing seam roof because the budget is under pressure. 

I have been told to use tile and that good ones don't discolour. That slate is WAY more expensive and you need nearly twice as many.

If thats the case, what tiles do you recommend? Then I can chase down the best price.

57 minutes ago, Dave Jones said:

fake slates are cheaper and very hard to tell they not the real ones.

Also tiles that look like multiple slates. I saw them at the bm and they looked good. Because they are big, there is much less overlap. Apparently the planners are happy with them even if the drawing says slate (but check).

NB some are coloured grey, so check how long this lasts.

I recommend a trip to a roofing merchant ASAP to see the options.

In rising cost order?

I welcome  disagreement.

Screwed profiled metal

Membrane

Tile

Standing seam metal

Man made 'slate'

Slate

But make sure the roof is designed for tile or slate weights.

got my slates from Jewson. very good quality and a great price. from the same quarry as Siga slates apparently. I've posted on here before about them so a quick search should find my previous comments on the subject.

53 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

the same quarry as Siga slates apparently

Yes, for marketing reasons some slates are called Hastings , Ascot etc, but come from Spain or Portugal. Others from the same source have Iberian names

Lots of different quality levels which are noticeable up close.

Second hand Scottish slates are unwanted when selling and £3 each if buying.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

All the local tile companies, Lagan tegal  Northstone breedon etc will all have reps who will gladly call round to site with samples for you to look at. I got loads for mine and set them all out on the roof and then stood out on the street and made the choice. You would be surprised how little difference there is when your on the ground looking up. In the end I picked a flat concrete tile.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Declan52 said:

You would be surprised how little difference there is when your on the ground looking up.

This is the conclusion we came to as well. And there’s even less of a difference when they’re wet (I used the hose on them as it rains a lot in the UK I thought it was a good test to perform). So we went with the cheaper slate and our roofer was impressed with the quality and uniformity of them. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, saveasteading said:

Also tiles that look like multiple slates. I saw them at the bm and they looked good.

Plenty near us, 12 months later the slates look perfect, the tiles have started to get yellow moss, algea all over them.

• Like 1