Scaffold external then internal

Hello, so now thinking of buying scaffolding. The rear of the property is single storey so the brickie said a lift and a half and middle section is 3 lifts and the very front 4 lifts.

Inside the house upstairs the ceilings are valted so high there too. We will be doing a lot of the internal airtightness work ourselves (which is considerable) so if we owned it, the time pressure would be reduced. Brickie today suggested for me to buy it and get someone who is trained to erect it and sign it off. (The very experienced groundsman said he could do it easily but I don't think he has a licence so I would need someone else to check it). Block work estimated at 6 weeks then the carpentry/roof/solar panels/guttering.

What do you think? 

Edited by CalvinHobbes

I hired scaffolding again Simply for the peace of mind tgat it’s all signed off 

It’s cheaper to buy But if there’s an accident Your responsible 

I’ve purchased to Ally towers on wheels for the internal stuf as we have three vaulted ceiling’s Which can also be used for boarding plastering and decorating 

A 3.5m alloy tower was one of my best build purchases. Can see it being used for odd jobs for years to come.

The big advantage of hiring is that you've somebody that will pick up the phone and get that extra lift done or an extra bay. Ours put up a two lift bay in our stairwell for £50. No extra hire charge. If you have bought your own that kind of thing can be a pita to do if you don't have a fitting team at your beck and call.

BUT .. you will need the scaffolding for rendering, roofing etc. You'll need it for many months unless you have managed to get everybody lined up and ready to go. We waited two months for roofer, three more for the renders. Think our total scaff bill was £9k.

Edited by Conor
  • Like 1

The business case for self-build scaffolding (like Cuplok - other brnads available) is compelling.

I've had mine for eight years now. While we're getting rid of building kit slowly, I'm loathe to sell our scaffolding. We have two indispensable stillages made out of the stuff. And its in use today because we are  at last rendering.

Read @Conor's last paragraph immediately above. If you've mastered the trick of lining everyone up and you are ready to go - fine - hire. But if not, put a few thousand aside.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, CalvinHobbes said:

Hello, so now thinking of buying scaffolding.

What do you think? 

I bought mine, but it's not something to do lightly - you do need to know the rules to buy, erect and maintain it.

You also need to be prepared for when it turns up, with people to help unload (especially if it arrives loose) and somewhere to put it (scaffolders would erect it direct from the lorry, you'll need to unload it all).

23 hours ago, CalvinHobbes said:

Brickie today suggested for me to buy it and get someone who is trained to erect it and sign it off.

Potentially a good idea. You'd probably need them to specify what to buy too. There is also a requirement to inspect and record the state of the scaffolding at least weekly - more frequently if there has been adverse weather or if the scaffold has been modified - and to remedy any problems. I'd suggest getting yourself onto a scaffold inspection course if you want to pursue this.

Edited by Mike
  • Like 1

If you are going to buy scaffold, then buy one of the system scaffolds like Kwikstsge or Cuplock.  Whatever is available.  They are really a scaffold tower system where you can join as many towers together and build whatever height you are likely to need for a self build.  Very simple to erect and change about.

For inside use you can build a single tower and put it on wheels just like a scaffold tower and move it about.

It is so useful that at the end of the build, I did not sell it all, I kept enough to scaffold one wall of the house.  It is just so handy to have when you need it.

render_8.thumb.jpg.746d1f45f4dd53cb8b1fc3bdc8f336a3.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ProDave said:

If you are going to buy scaffold, then buy one of the system scaffolds like Kwikstsge or Cuplock.  Whatever is available.  They are really a scaffold tower system where you can join as many towers together and build whatever height you are likely to need for a self build.  Very simple to erect and change about.

For inside use you can build a single tower and put it on wheels just like a scaffold tower and move it about.

It is so useful that at the end of the build, I did not sell it all, I kept enough to scaffold one wall of the house.  It is just so handy to have when you need it.

render_8.thumb.jpg.746d1f45f4dd53cb8b1fc3bdc8f336a3.jpg

zero guarding, no bracing.

hope H&S lock you up.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Dave Jones said:

zero guarding, no bracing.

hope H&S lock you up.

The diagonals are bracing.  It could do with an additional horizontal rail at each lift and a toe board but not an immediate hanging offence and if I was the only one working on it I probably wouldn't bother.

On 25/05/2023 at 17:29, Dave Jones said:

dont do it. 

One thing risking  your own life on it but another for a trade.

not one of the corners to be cut.

I will be getting it erected properly and inspected every week with a ticket issued. Its just we will own the scaffold so the price is reduced.