Digger ran over generator lead

Sheesh so the digger ran over the cable so the hire company will invoice me for it. I will keep the damaged one, I take it the safest thing is to just lose the part that was severed and move the plug to the new end? Like joining it even covering with heat shrink tubes would be a bit crap?

lead.png

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CalvinHobbes said:

Sheesh so the digger ran over the cable so the hire company will invoice me for it. I will keep the damaged one, I take it the safest thing is to just lose the part that was severed and move the plug to the new end? Like joining it even covering with heat shrink tubes would be a bit crap?

lead.png

You should be able to re wire at the socket (reel) end, thus only loosing what looks like 600mm of cable, if you haven't told the hire company I'd be surprised if they notice, but I didn't say that 🙈

• Like 1

Not something i would ever hire, this being one of the reasons.

Unless you need it on a reel, it is cheapest to buy the  cable and the ends.

Cables, string lines, marker pegs and tapes are invisible to plant operators.

• Like 1

I think it is a feeling of power and importance, sitting up there.

They also seem to know a lot more about Engineering than I do.

Did you know for example, that rollers are unnecessary and it it is ok to put in 500mm of fill as long as it gets tracked over? And that all drains go at 1 in 60, or " just off the bubble" regardless what a drawing might say....and that he can judge that by eye from his cab......and it is ok to refill an overdug trench   and.....etc.

• Like 3

And it’s fine to backfill a wall the day after it’s been built and track it in. The brickies must have built the wall curved anyway. We can cavity fill afterwards 🙄🙄it’s only happened about 20 times since I have been laying bricks. 

• Haha 1

Thankfully we have a no b/s groundman who I really do have total faith in.  Tbf the digger driver is very good too, I keep getting told it by contractors.

I fessed up immediately to the hire shop. Right will do as you say and will save the spare bit. Much appreciated.

4 hours ago, saveasteading said:

I think it is a feeling of power and importance, sitting up there.

They also seem to know a lot more about Engineering than I do.

Did you know for example, that rollers are unnecessary and it it is ok to put in 500mm of fill as long as it gets tracked over? And that all drains go at 1 in 60, or " just off the bubble" regardless what a drawing might say....and that he can judge that by eye from his cab......and it is ok to refill an overdug trench   and.....etc.

He should write a guide to building with those skills!

• Like 1

I have told staff to expect the operator to try these things on. They can be convincing. But the Engineer gives a 12 year warranty and the driver will never be seen again.

Then I hear back that they did, indeed, try to lay fill in 300 layers and not even run the roller over it. 

At the risk of being preachy, because some first timers will get this bs:

The whole point of a caterpillar track is to spread the load over a large area, and to not sink. So the pressure is about the same, perhaps less, than under a wellie. They are putting a light crust over loose fill. It may settle under completed paving or floor slabs to expensive effect. 

I fear it must be common.

Put the pressure explanation to the reluctant  operator  ( think on why you have tracks rather than wheels) and see a momentary blank, then a slight self doubt, then a return to cockiness...."I've been doing this for years."

"OK you aren't getting paid until you dig it out and do it properly" they do understand.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, saveasteading said:

The whole point of a caterpillar track is to spread the load over a large area, and to not sink.

Exactly, I drove a 1.6T machine over freshly dug soil yesterday, the machine, obviously, sinks in a bit, but it rides up over the freshly dug soil, I step out and my foot sinks into the soil deeper than the machine has sunk, this tells us that we would be better walking over material to compact it! 

4 minutes ago, Carrerahill said:

we would be better walking over material to compact it! 

Better yet a flock of sheep.

I always liked sheepsfoot rollers, because you could see it was working, and when it was complete. Also it has grip. 

image.png.1f99f8dd69de1888cf17d266bc1dbec4.png