I'm Steve a one time only self builder planning for the quiet life in West Wales

Having a good giggle at all the banter.🤣

I don't see how anyone could (he says) argue that burning wood is not carbon neutral but using it and reusing on site for other things, studs, wedges would be best. I'm not sure that transporting the off-cuts to the local Council for them to put it on truck to move it to a pulping factory of wood chip manufacturer is better. Building waste, especially if it's treated can't go to composting for instance due to the nasty chemicals in it.

I have worked for waste management at the Local authority so I have, on this occasion, an informed (semi) view.😉 but still open to corrections.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Big Jimbo said:

When we burn it, is all that released back into the air

Not or, as some becomes roots and leaves, of which some will rot to become soil, some CO2.

What is burned becomes a mixture of water vapour, CO, CO2, NOX ect.

The problem is that it can take decades for a tree to grow, but only a few hours, at best, to be released back into the atmosphere.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

Not or, as some becomes roots and leaves, of which some will rot to become soil, some CO2.

What is burned becomes a mixture of water vapour, CO, CO2, NOX ect.

The problem is that it can take decades for a tree to grow, but only a few hours, at best, to be released back into the atmosphere.

and in the meantime another 20000000 plants are growing.

google carbon neutral.

I wonder if waste wood could be readily turned into insulation.  I don't see why not. 

I can't think of any better long term use🤔. Burning it is great fun but not a tremendous use really, much like killing the hen rather than keeping her for a daily egg.

On 07/05/2023 at 06:38, SteamyTea said:

Welcome.

Your advice on trees and knotweed will be useful.

Rethink the PV.  Infact, design the roof around it.  With roof integrated, it need not cost any more than tiling/slating.

Eh? *Head swivels Just about to buy a roof was supposed to be standing seam (toss up between coated netal and trocal). Can we put on pv instead and minimise buying 'roofing' for roughly the same?

1 hour ago, CalvinHobbes said:

Eh? *Head swivels

You will have to compare the m2 prices of the different system.

Much of it does depend on how much you can get PV roof trays for, seems they can vary is price by a factor of 3 if you are not careful.

Have a search here for GSE stuff.  There may be cheaper suppliers.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

You will have to compare the m2 prices of the different system.

Much of it does depend on how much you can get PV roof trays for, seems they can vary is price by a factor of 3 if you are not careful.

Have a search here for GSE stuff.  There may be cheaper suppliers.

how does the angle of the roof affect this, what is the optimum slope for PV compared with the roof.

If your roof is too shallow then can you get away with having a tray and 'anglers' ? (not men fishing) to get this right

24 minutes ago, LSB said:

how does the angle of the roof affect this, what is the optimum slope for PV compared with the roof.

If your roof is too shallow then can you get away with having a tray and 'anglers' ? (not men fishing) to get this right

For any latitude there will be an optimal angle that can collect the greatest amount of incidental light (direct beam) over a year. This does not equate to maximum power. 

Fitting brackets may marginally improve the total energy collected, this is called insolation, but may, if it causes some shading to other modules, or reduces the amount of time the module can face the sun, cause an overall decrease in energy.

There is a meme that we should be fitting solar panels to all roofs before we build solar farms on agricultural land.

This often touted nonsense shows a lack of understand of basic geometry, economics and engineering practice.

Probably why the solar industry does not respond. Hardly worth the effort while they are installing PV at £45/MWh.