ICF How much more expensive ?

19 minutes ago, Dave Jones said:

there is no way timber frame is cheaper than brick and block.

A lot (all?) of the housing developers are wrong?

Savings come in speed and internal works.

Plumbing and electrics are through an open skeleton.

No chasing.

The internals can proceed before the outer skin.

Non load bearing stud is cheaper than block.

Etc.

Excluding the cost of time, there isn't so much in it.

Perhaps also depends a bit on the local cost and availability of decent bricklayers.

1 hour ago, Dave Jones said:

tf is at least double the cost of brick and block so your table isnt right.

I have used every method of my table apart from ICF, which I tried to make work on a few projects. But that was as a professional.

The order changed according to dimensions, function, appearance.

Perhaps too a prejudice against brick, or the layers thereof.....if I could, then bricks were out.

As an amateur diy builder I think the order changes, esp according to skills. Few could do brickwork.

There's no bricks left.

When did you realise we were getting low?

There's no bricks left.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, saveasteading said:

Has anybody suggested bolting your footings to the rock?

Depends on the depth of course, but there is little point in breaking out granite and replacing with concrete.

I'm sure when the final spec comes back from the certifier there will be rebar in the rock, I'm unsure how they think  around 45T of concrete can be blown of its foundation of rock but that's what they said, the detailing of the radon becomes more and more difficult 😔

41 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Can you put a sump and air blower in?

It's only a low risk area so only require barrier, but rebar connections from footing to bedrock and footing to ICF mean I'll have to seal the barrier and rebar🙈

12 hours ago, saveasteading said:

Has anybody suggested bolting your footings to the rock?

Depends on the depth of course, but there is little point in breaking out granite and replacing with concrete.

I'm sure when the final spec comes back from the certifier there will be rebar in the rock, I'm unsure how they think  around 45T of concrete can be blown of its foundation of rock but that's what they said, the detailing of the radon becomes more and more difficult 😔

3 minutes ago, Jenki said:

but rebar connections from footing to bedrock and footing to ICF mean I'll have to seal the barrier and rebar

An interesting engineering problem.

I wonder if you could cast/encapsulate the appropriate parts in an airtight resin.  I think radon barriers are thick polyethylene, which is a bugger to adhere to, but there is generally a way around joining dissimilar materials.

I am only thinking aloud, and not knowing the details it is hard to imagine the problem.  But it is only an engineering problem, and as Ken Tyrell said "An engineer is only someone that does for a penny what any damn fool can do for a quid".

10 hours ago, Jenki said:

I'm unsure how they think  around 45T of concrete can be blown of its foundation of rock 

It will be overturning rather than lift-off. 

Still seems wrong, but let's await your design.

I have seen rock being broken out for concrete. Not a design error, just rock encountered early and nobody stopping to think.

Radon barrier.   I expect there will be a stage where this will be easier than directly onto the rock. On top of hardcore probably, also acting as your dpm.

Direct venting, if necessary, would not require fans, just ventilation.....you have enough wind.

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/05/2023 at 17:42, JohnMo said:

Did it myself, with the wife as additional labour.

IMG_20230501_174123.jpg

did you require rebar in this build ? 

Edited by Nic

Yes at each corner, above and to side of each opening and in middle of rear wall.  Your structural engineer needs to design the rebar. Every build is different. Loads of rebar in foundation also.