Could someone tell me what are these electric radiators worth?

Hi, I have a few electric radiators in my flat which I'm looking to replace with modern, more energy efficient ones. These might not be too bad on energy consumption but there's better and they don't look too nice.

The bigger ones are very heavy, all of them are powerful and heat up quickly.

Does anyone have an idea of what type/ model they are and how much I might be able to sell them for? Thanks!

IMG_20230415_112657.jpg

IMG20230411101738.jpg

I think you have a mixture of Economy 7/10 storage heaters ( filled with heavy thermal bricks ) and lighter panel heaters ( heavy ones sit on the floor obvs ).

Search eBay / other to compare what these are selling for, but courier / transport costs will be a big issue for the storage heaters. Typically these go in the skip with me, due to the problem of getting someone to collect, even if offered up for free.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/145028123702?hash=item21c4598c36:g:9uUAAOSwEspkMyXP&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA4PtASZ4K3hdTX83c1pJc%2BTnpAk4atJHW5UHhKATkA1B%2FYG6lGgh6D5UChFNeVmkc25AbyE9foUnZB9ySSwVk67M4h%2Fl7K9Fs2L2NIJ%2BDqvdgs7ulgXbP8%2FOfHhOCRdUvYZe63AAN71mOUmtSeljwNmgak5ncdKS9fWSOwun%2BZFgslzQG9B9AxPuvdMv16xvu7TEVvJr5%2FmN%2Fz6oVGDyPGhAne%2FqknpoApxIEAmD3EMyJPhKu%2BqTGZJxeSOOJ7PrWjQsnr4uDIT3Y5oLSZdmsnyrN7kOjWSnqKjao6lwoZ%2FUy|tkp%3ABk9SR_jM6cjwYQ

• Thanks 1

I’ve just fitted 3 small  ones of these in my house to take advantage of cheap night time tariff I get for EV charging, Connect them to a 13amp plug and smart socket, instant smart time scheduled heating.  
helps keep the core of the Victorian property at a temp and the GCH for top ups 

5 minutes ago, TonyT said:

I’ve just fitted 3 small  ones of these in my house to take advantage of cheap night time tariff I get for EV charging, Connect them to a 13amp plug and smart socket, instant smart time scheduled heating.  
helps keep the core of the Victorian property at a temp and the GCH for top ups 

Of these what, exactly, panel heaters or storage heaters? Assume panel if off a 13a plug?

There might be reason to change them for something that looks nicer, BUT there are lots of BUT's

Anyone that tells you their electric heater is more efficient than another one is telling LIES.  They are all 100% eficcient, no more, no less, you put 1kW of electricity in, you get 1kW of heat out no more no less, the posh snake oil ones will be just the same.

The other but, is yours have old fashioned nice simple controls, if they break they can be fixed, they are easy to understand and easy for you to set them to operate how you want.  Modern replacements will have electronic controls thanks to an EU directive that we still seem to be abiding by even though we don't have to, so even if they are storage heaters, they will decide when to charge, whether to use peak or off peak electricity, not you.  And that is more to go wrong, harder and more expensive to fix.

Your choice, but please don't be scammed into buying something you have been assured will be "more efifcient"

• Like 5

Night storage heaters have zero value.

However for gardeners with a greenhouse, my tip of the week is this.

Salvage the thermal bricks and use them as plant supports. They absorb heat during thd day and release it in the evening, keeping the plants warmer.

Yesterday at about 5pm, they were about 5° warmer than normal masonry.

The principle may apply to other circumstances too.

Excuse being slightly off topic.

On topic again.  I have known very clever people be conned into  buying these exprnsive new heaters for the wrong reason.  I checked out the adverts and they imply better efficiency through being scientific, but the actual explanation is quick acting, with timers so they are on only when needed.

• Like 1

Folk keep coming up to me on the public exhibition shows, fresh from IR panel sales patter etc, and tell me they want to add solar PV to offset winter heating costs :D 

I ask if they have a small football field or similar to install 120 panels in. They say, "No". I say "exactly". 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nickfromwales said:

IR panel sales patter etc

There is such a lot of, let's say inaccuracy, at those shows. I challenge as appropriate and usually find that the rep's know very little.

IR example is not cheap to run, but I do recommend it at work stations.

5 hours ago, ProDave said:

Anyone that tells you their electric heater is more efficient than another one is telling LIES.  They are all 100% efficient, no more, no less, you put 1kW of electricity in, you get 1kW of heat out no more no less, the posh snake oil ones will be just the same.

This! You can find heaters that look better or take up less space, but they're not going to be more efficient.

• Like 1

I just had a look at the lot20 stuff because I might also need to replace some in a flat.

Talk about confusing. They appear to consider electric heaters about 33% efficient (perhaps because ASHP have a COP of 3?) and then allow you extra % credits for having fancy controls like open window detectors. I wonder what jobs worth thought this scheme up.

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/04/2023 at 14:08, saveasteading said:

There is such a lot of, let's say inaccuracy, at those shows. I challenge as appropriate and usually find that the rep's know very little.

IR example is not cheap to run, but I do recommend it at work stations.

My work colleague had one at his station ( mini-home office ) and had to bin it as his eye-lids were drying out and his skin was breaking up.

Horrible things IMO.

The rep's are just pre-programmed commission seekers in most instances, but there are a few on the shows where they are impartial and open / honest and I have passed / received work with these accordingly, with great results. There is snake oil everywhere, and will be for the rest of time.

11 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

My work colleague had one at his station ( mini-home office ) and had to bin it as his eye-lids were drying out and his skin was breaking up.

That is an interesting observation.

Was an environmental monitoring done.

We hear a lot about how 'electric' heating makes the air dry. Very rare to see data that backs it up.

If I remember, I shall try and take some pictures of the thermometer and hygrometer I have at work.

Keep them! 

Anything newer will require Bletchley Park codebreaking skills to turn on and off. I have actually given up on some of these newer heaters. Impossible to decipher. 

If you're looking at anything cheaper to run you'll need a heat pump.

This will use about 1/5 of the electricity but needs a professional install really and space for the outdoor unit. 

IMG_20230429_091428.thumb.jpg.a784206ec48c7f945b28311759be86e4.jpg

It something like this for about £700 and it'll use about 1/3 to 1/2 of the electricity but is easier to install.

IMG_20230429_091812.thumb.jpg.f6002fc0927206e9f92f5af783fdee3d.jpg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

That is an interesting observation.

Was an environmental monitoring done.

Nope, just a friend who put one up and used it whilst in his home office. Decided it was 'terrible' and swapped back to his oil-filled convector radiator, iirc.

Would be good to get feedback from people who have fitted these throughout for 'central heating' on the advice of "experts".. :/ 

I've got one on a patio, and it works really well at extending the sitting out period after an outside meal. No complaints.

Have now enclosed the patio and it gives instant comfort when required.

But it is a lot of power. The benefit being entirely the instant effect.

That may have been the issue for the dried up friend ...simply too powerful for the proximity, blasting one side?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

simply too powerful for the proximity, blasting one side?

I wonder if that is a physiological effect. It may be a case that warmth only needs to be felt on a small part of the body and the whole body reacts as if it is warm i.e. starts perspiring, increased blood flow, hair standing on end.

Physiology is not my area of science at all. Like most of the medical sciences, there is so much variation between studies that it seems to invalidate itself very quickly.

Edited by SteamyTea

1 hour ago, SteamyTea said:

warmth only needs to be felt on a small part of the body and the whole body reacts

That is my opinion based on our heater. 4 people sat around a table, with the rays reaching fronts/sides/backs, above table height only, all feeling cozy.

5 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

all feeling cozy

Not what I was getting at.

A small part of the body may be at a reasonably comfortable surface temperature, the rest may be well below. 

Usually when the body is under stress, it starts to shut down non vital elements to conserve energy i.e. numbness.

If the small warm part tricks the body into thinking all is well, when it isn't, there may be unknown effects.

Probably not a problem in the UK, but maybe in other places in the world.

As I said, not my area of science, so I may be talking bollocks, but I have never been happy with the often quoted correlation between direct electrical heating and dry air causing medical problems.

The fundamental physics does not back it up, and data seems to be lacking in this area.

3 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

the rest may be well below. 

No, that is what i meant. I hadn't thought on it before, but the IR is hitting only about a sixth of the body, including one half of the head. 

Btw I notice that all IR heaters appear to be made to glow visibly recently.

(Mine is black, with a few tell-tale spots of red where the coating is thin.)

Marketing i expect, but it does remind you to turn it off.

Noted: not for everyone.

I rather like the ir heaters that are built into a picture frame, so it gently warms the desk or sitting area.

Also saw a  few years ago, an electric wall paint. Low voltsge to opp corners of the wall, and the paint emitted low heat. 

I saw it as useful in corridors or work stations in big workshops or warehouses. Haven't heard any more about it though.