Low profile power cable

Adsibob

15 hours ago, Adsibob said:

I have a very thin (essentially flat) cAT 6 Ethernet cable, and it made me think that if it’s possible to power stuff through this using PoE, it should be possible to get a flat 13A power cable.

Googling around, I found this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Koumeican-thinnest-world-Flat-Code/dp/B00SNK6AG2/ref=pd_aw_ci_mcx_mh_mcx_views_0?pd_rd_w=EHXab&content-id=amzn1.sym.f2aca063-8a8b-49d1-9be7-42a31a3f7e53&pf_rd_p=f2aca063-8a8b-49d1-9be7-42a31a3f7e53&pf_rd_r=196GYCZWK2WTPQM3SKW4&pd_rd_wg=62WQa&pd_rd_r=ab9ee858-7c2f-45c7-b427-c63193ed2f93&pd_rd_i=B00SNK6AG2

Apart from the extortionate price, is this too good to be true? Safe?

No Earth in the cable?

Insulation must be extreemly thin if it's only 0.9mm thick overall.

11 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Just use an LED lamp or LED strip in the light fitting, and then the cables to it will be SELV, so all you'd need to do is not short them out. The cables can then be the super flat speaker cable types, job done.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/sommer_cable_tribun_240.htm?glp=1

Thank me with beer and pie.

+1

Perhaps the super thin cable in the OP could be used. Eg Cut off the plugs and use it between transformer and lamp.

The spec says it's ok for 1500W which at 240V is about 6A. So should be fine for 6A @12V or about 70W. Plenty for an LED.

Perhaps fit a suitable fuse on the output of the transformer.

18 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Should have just fitted ceiling lighting

but absent a time travel machine, that’s not possible. Not without cutting into my expensive bits of Cornwall spread beautifully onto my ceiling anyway.

I also continue to believe that ceiling lighting, can ruin most spaces. We have very little of it in our house, preferring a combination of wall lights, recessed lights and table and floor lamps. But it does require much more thought and planning to do it this way, and we clearly made a mistake in not fitting a floor socket here.

Edited by Adsibob

1 minute ago, Adsibob said:

expensive bits of Cornwall spread beautifully onto my ceiling

Well that is true.

There are no cheap bits of Cornwall on ugly ceilings,  or beautiful Cornwall on expensive ceilings.

Cornwall is rainy today, so really horrible.  

Some LED floor standing lamps similar to this one have the transformer in the plug. Sould be easy to insert that flat cable between the plug/transformer and the inline dimmer. Just check the output current from the transformer is less than about 6A. Should be written on it.

https://www.lampandlight.co.uk/design-floor-lamp-black-incl-led-5-lights-sixties-trento?gclid=CjwKCAjwitShBhA6EiwAq3RqAxrQv_uHGA7xh7eJau_drOi1TLmbuqe7-_emfq462tk7ppOMRcMqixoCTj4QAvD_BwE

Edited by Temp

10 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Screenshot_20230411-171844.thumb.png.ac95927497974df24b2383a559996265.png

Too easily dissipated by intervening structures e.g. people! The wireless power transfer I built (in the video above) uses purely magnetic coupling at around 1mHz so goes right through most stuff that's likely to get in the way. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Radian said:

Too easily dissipated by intervening structures e.g. people! The wireless power transfer I built (in the video above) uses purely magnetic coupling at around 1mHz so goes right through most stuff that's likely to get in the way. 

So yours is two Induction loops?

20 hours ago, Onoff said:

So yours is two Induction loops?

Yes, the self-oscillating power driver is incredibly simple (a couple mosfets, capacitors and inductors) and the same circuit can synchronously rectify at the receiving end. In fact, it's totally bi-directional - you can put DC in at either end and get it out at the other!

Great for wirelessly charging drones which could also drop-off power at another station.

If you notice there's another passive loop sitting on the floor 0.9m below with a blue LED. That's also receiving power.

The CD case loop uses copper foil but that's a bit more lossy than the copper tube. The optimum coupling distance is in the order of the size of the transmitting loop so a wall-sized loop could light a floor lamp from a few m away.

18 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

Milli Hertz ?

My bad. Megahertz.

On 10/04/2023 at 22:21, Adsibob said:

We have a large open plan lounge that has very atmospheric lighting; in other words, it’s a bit dark. There is no ceiling lighting, just wall lights. In the middle of the lounge there is a large L shape sofa.

I would like a floor lamp or possibly a table lamp on a small side table, to be able to read more comfortably on the sofa. To achieve that, I either need a battery powered lamp as suggested by @Mike(which is an option I’d entertain if I found one that I liked which had decent battery life - Lots of searching had not yielded results for me yet) or a way of concealing a cable. There is an area of the floor to the right of the sofa which is about 1m wide and acts as a sort of passageway. A rug/runner would work quite well there, and there is also a wall socket I could plug the light into on the other side of the passage. But I don’t want a trip hazard, hence wanted to conceal the cable under a rug.

Could you add some uplighting around the perimeter with good floor standing lamp with a good upward light component to flood the ceiling with light turning it into a huge reflector? Or do you have furniture or cabinets you could hide some fairly ugly, but functional uplight?

Or mount some directional lighting (like retail lighting but nicer luminaires) to get light where you need it?

https://professional.flos.com/en/global/subfamily/architectural-spotlights-find-me/