Led panel ceiling lights

Well, things are cracking on a pace with my build and we want some led panel lights for the kitchen and maybe other places,  I bought some led stick on lighting strips for my garage and already ( a couple of months) some of the leds are flickering and failing ?. Can anyone recommend a supplier ( ebay?) of decent kit, and especially with shrouded power supplies ( I have read Jeremy's comments about RF interference). Any info welcomed.

I have actually installed around 45 18w warm white LED panels bought from eBay. Bought them in three tranches. After each tranche, the seller I bought from disappeared :o so I had to switch supplier - not a good sign generally. Having said all that, there hasn't been a single failure in three months. Quality is acceptable throughout.  (Note I can't speak for the RF interference - I don't know how I would experience that). 

It was also recommended to me that for the bathrooms, 'natural' is more appropriate than warm white. To get 18w natural - had to buy from China (and wait two - three weeks). They worked fine also (and I would agree that natural is a good idea in the bathroom).

I can only speak from experience. But buying them in this way turned out to be less risky than I would have expected.  

(Names I bought from include 11supperman; Boaofactory; UIK_Very_Good_Seller btw. There's also Hartington Heath based in N.London as opposed to China. You will pay a premium with HH but if goods are faulty, they will replace, and they were still in business last time I looked)

The ones I used in the outside toilet are still going strong after a few months of use. From this seller:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LED-RECESSED-LIGHTING-PANEL-CEILING-DOWN-LIGHT-ULTRASLIM-ROUND-SQUARE-DOWNLIGHTS-/291235836793?var=&hash=item43cf023379:m:mX_qswwaJIIPGwheFr67isg

I would imagine the vast majority for sale on eBay are coming out of the same Chinese factories?

If you're going to use these unbranded generic ones then perhaps the answer is to have a good handful of spares? 

That's who I sourced all my LEDs from, and 6+ months on, so fa so good.  eBay had £10 off for every £100 spent at the time vs the sellers own website. I bought a good number of spares in case of failure (in part buying extra to get the discount).

1 hour ago, Fallingditch said:

(Note I can't speak for the RF interference - I don't know how I would experience that). 

Get yourself an old AM radio and tune it to the low end about 535kHz so you're just hearing static. Bring it near to your LED lamp and turn the lamp on. You should hear any EMI (electromagnetic interference). It'll vary with how far the radio is from the source and with any dimming action. Better suppressed lamps will cause less interference.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stones said:

Should add, no radio interference on the I-lumos panels I bought.

Isn't I-Lumos the brand @jamiehamy got the switch / socket samples for but his sparks wouldn't touch, all the instructions in Chinglish etc?

2 hours ago, Onoff said:

Isn't I-Lumos the brand @jamiehamy got the switch / socket samples for but his sparks wouldn't touch, all the instructions in Chinglish etc?

Yes,  but most did feel pretty well made. He was maybe being over cautious. I got quite a few different items as samples - the led wall light that had three settings was good quality - touch switches less so. 

24 minutes ago, daiking said:

Just don't let some Terence H F***wit install them like this.

IMG_20170804_075927817~2.jpg

Did you have Stevie Wonder Electrical fit them ?!?

You could have cut them neater with a chainsaw. :(

Is that the 6w one? Can you fit the 9w one so it fills the existing hole, or is that one of many in the same view?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Is that the 6w one? Can you fit the 9w one so it fills the existing hole, or is that one of many in the same view?

There are 5 x 9w lights here . The other 4, are mercifully, only badly fitted instead of horrifically fitted.

Unfortunately, this is 50mm insulated PB and above that there is 25mm then 100mm PIR so a suitable repair is not easy. Some hired spread we've found just wants to muck the light fitting in but I'm trying to come up with a more refined solution.

3 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Depending on the make you should be able to get concealer / converter rings to sort this type of fubar:

https://www.downlights.co.uk/hole-concealer-jcc-fgled.html

What make are they btw? 

(Should have got the bloke who laid the lawn to fit them! :) )

These are Enlite units. I rather suspect the hole is bigger than these concealer rings and the hole the fitting requires is bigger than the hole given.

I could get thin acrylic laser cut but I don't think I want to put flammable close to the light

I could get aluminium laser cut and painted but wonder if there is an earthing issue?

Either solution is bad for draughts if it is left in its current state underneath.

32 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Wow! Actually?! 

37 minutes ago, daiking said:

These are Enlite units. I rather suspect the hole is bigger than these concealer rings and the hole the fitting requires is bigger than the hole given.

I could get thin acrylic laser cut but I don't think I want to put flammable close to the light

I could get aluminium laser cut and painted but wonder if there is an earthing issue?

Either solution is bad for draughts if it is left in its current state underneath.

Get the Aurora spec for the light then look for something like this:

https://www.fastlec.co.uk/au-ap600w-aurora-85mm-145mm-downlight-adaptor-plate-white.html

14 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Get the Aurora spec for the light then look for something like this:

https://www.fastlec.co.uk/au-ap600w-aurora-85mm-145mm-downlight-adaptor-plate-white.html

Not sure they do them. The cutout on the 9w unit is 133mm the overall dia. is 145mm and clearly this fubar is about 160mm.

As Nick says, the least work option is to go bigger but I don't think the 12w light is big enough. I'd need to go to 18w and there's 4 more of these lights all in an L-shape on the ceiling.

Get ali rings cut and have them powder coated with say Interpon HT or similar temperature resisting coating?

Either that or some very careful cutting to make plasterboard "Polos" to let in and skim flush.