Snipping steel neatly

Trying to cut this think steel trim .

Have these snips ( assume they are right for the job . But they bend / warp the steel and don’t seem to cut neat .

Better instrument for the task ? ( avoiding using the word tool ! )

D460DEFD-F7AC-4324-B9E2-984F53260127.jpeg

B11C9A17-0A0B-4F70-9B12-E24434A55C83.jpeg

Better to cut that cold if its coated in paint zinc or plastic .  Make a piece of wood that fits inside as a support and cut with a TCT chop saw or table saw. 

Hacksaw if its sharp but again a support block really helps.

• Like 2

BTW you can get little noddy stands for angle grinders that turn them into chop saws. Also cheap metal cutoff saws e.g. Evolution series.

If using power, be very gentle, clamp up very securely (the wood support idea above is good), and wear every bit of PPE you have :).

• Like 1

Snips if you have them. Otherwise I'd put a cutting diskc in my small dremmel. 

If you have to hand saw it you need a really fine tooth blade and plenty of support. I would find a block of wood to fit in the U channel and wrap it up in tape to stop bits vibrating.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Miek said:

Better to cut that cold if its coated in paint zinc or plastic .  Make a piece of wood that fits inside as a support and cut with a TCT chop saw or table saw. 

Hacksaw if its sharp but again a support block really helps.

Metal but plastic coated . Tried to cut with angle grinder - no good just burrs 

6 hours ago, saveasteading said:

Can a normal chop saw be adapted with a metal blade, and bundling the channel with a square of wood, and cutting through the lot?

Catch thin, unclamped metal with a big toothed blade and it can go horribly wrong. Ask me how I know, nearly lost a finger. I've known worse happen. 

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, saveasteading said:

Can a normal chop saw be adapted with a metal blade, and bundling the channel with a square of wood, and cutting through the lot?

got an evolution saw for cutting this sort of thing and even with a 60 tpi blade it snatches at the metal so you need to go really slowly. The evolution also seems to run slower than my Makita - would need to check if it’s perception though !

18 hours ago, Conor said:

fine 1mm INOX blade in a small grinder, low RPM.

Yes, an angle grinder is the second most useful tool in the box.

I have a new one to pick up later, my cheap little one gave up the ghost (the switch went faulty).

It did last 6 years though, and has more dusty usage than most.

27 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Yes, an angle grinder is the second most useful tool in the box.

I have a new one to pick up later, my cheap little one gave up the ghost (the switch went faulty).

It did last 6 years though, and has more dusty usage than most.

It's quite astonishing how good a 5" cordless grinder is. I had a load of rebar and mesh to cut (only 10/12mm) and bought a load of discs for the big grinder. Anded up doing 90% of it with the small one, only slightly slower but much easier and safer to use. Wouldn't be without it. Also makes most padlocks and chains totally redundant.

DeWalt (which I know you love), do nice 18V portable bandsaws.

The issue is they don't appear to come with a stand meaning you'd have to wield it freehand so to speak.

3rd party stands are available or you can DIY one.

Without, then it lacks the versatility and accuracy of say my Sheppach 230V one. 

FEMI do one on a stand I do know.

You've got to be comfortable using an angle grinder to then get accurate. I only ever use one now wearing full face shield like a Honeywell Bionic after a few near misses through getting over confident and getting swarf hit me in the face/neck despite wearing normal goggles. 

A bandsaw is relatively slow and won't burn the paint off. It's like a powered hacksaw tbh. Also has fine teeth that shouldn't catch or rip the work. 

12 minutes ago, Onoff said:

You've got to be comfortable using an angle grinder to then get accurate. I only ever use one now wearing full face shield like a Honeywell Bionic after a few near misses through getting over confident and getting swarf hit me in the face/neck despite wearing normal goggles

I imagine I am wearing safety gear. 

>>> I imagine I am wearing safety gear. 

And that protects you OK? A sort of mind over matter thing? :)

Yeah, I always get the full face shield out when wielding the angle thingy. I once cut through my own lead (well the grinder's) up on a roof somewhere - such a clean cut it didn't trigger the trip - so it left the dangling cable end live. I also have a permanent numb-ish finger tip after a bit of ally flew off the chop saw. And I'm quite careful really.

22 minutes ago, Alan Ambrose said:

A sort of mind over matter thing? :)

More a case of matter stuck in mind...

Most recent one I had was with a piece of thin stainless held in mole grips in my left hand. I was dressing it with a 1mm slitting disc holding the grinder in my right. Somehow the blade ripped the stainless out from the grips straight into my face shield. With plain goggles in it would have been my neck. Sobering!