Completely new to all of this - some planning advice on self-build in Scotland please!

MrB

I contacted the planning department local to the plot I was interested in, it already had a PIP for it.  There appeared to be some specifications of the style of house that was permitted, I'm interested in building a Scandanavian style log house from a kit since it's environmentally friendly (has already carbon captured in it), and it would be quick to assemble.  To my surprise I was told a particular architectural style in keeping with the area was all that would be permitted (unless I could find a local precedent for this type of house).  I could understand it if the plot was surrounded by architectural gems but the nearest property would surely be considered an eyesore by most people since the roof has literally collapsed.  There is a local amenity building close by that is  clad in corrugated metal - definitely not a listed buidling!

Who comes up with these ideas? Will I run into these restrictions with every build plot in the Highlands?  I could understand if this was in some sort of preservation area, but it's only a field full of sheep s##t!

This is one of the disadvantages of applying for PIP.  Because usually you are not specifying details of the house, it allows the council to impose a set of standard requirements.  

We had this, but the ones I objected to we succeeded in over ruling.

You could always offer to buy the plot subject to getting the house style you want approved, and then submit a planning application quickly.

There are several houses near here of various timber designs, just look around your area for something similar to what you want as examples.

In our case the PiP said much the same about a house in the local style 1.5 storey. Draw a big circle around the plot and find every house in the area. Take pics of all the different styles. Then go onto the planning portal and search for every new dwelling approval going back a couple of years. 

• Like 1

There is a Highland council new build guidance booklet (pdf) can't find the link🥺. It's good, and although they do ideally want rectangle, 2 gables, max 1.5 high. There's scope in there for alternatives.

Is this what you're thinking of @Jenki?

https://www.highland.gov.uk/download/downloads/id/22985/self-build_guide.pdf

My initial conversations with a local designer suggest that a lot of the PiP can be "boilerplate" text and is open to "reasonable" negotiation.

For examle our PIP says gable ends and white render....but the houses on either side of our plot both have hipped roofs. The one opposite is timber clad, one is bare stone. He's fairly confident that some changes will be acceptable.

On 27/03/2023 at 22:17, MrB said:

To my surprise I was told a particular architectural style in keeping with the area was all that would be permitted

That's pretty much the starting point for 95% of plots. There are a few places where they have deliberately allowed a mixture of modern styles but a log cabin might even look out of place there.

The normal advice is to find a plot and then see what you can build rather than setting out with any particular style of house in mind. Otherwise you will likely spend a long time looking for plots.

On 27/03/2023 at 22:17, MrB said:

There appeared to be some specifications of the style of house that was permitted, I'm interested in building a Scandanavian style log house

Do you have any details of the type of house proposed already. Drawings/sketches would help but don't forget to de-identify your name and location please. 

Two aspects to low carbon building.

Firstly sort the energy use of the house in use.

@Marvins AIM APE sums it up. 

Airtight

Insulation

Mechanical Ventilation with Heat Recovery (MVHR)

then

ASHP (heat pump)

PV (solar electric)

EV (electric vehicle)

Log homes can often be poor in terms of Airtightness detailing and insulation values. Do you have a spec or link to the product you fancy? 

Secondly embodied energy. This only real make an impact over the life of the building if you sort out the heat loss in use first .

As  mantra just build out of stuff that used to be plants. Log houses are good here. 

Wood, cellulose, hemp, straw. 

Avoid energy intensive materials. 

Cement, steel etc. 

The Highland document linked here shows 5 pics of examples, of which 4 are timber clad and one is white render.

The document is brief and perhaps superficial. The guides by Moray and by Aberdeen give more specific examples of what is considered good design, and sometimes why. I think the principles are transferable.

They also say that "exemplary modern" may be acceptable.

I wonder if the ubiquitous white render is driven by cost. It will be the cheapest way to build in a way that is likely to be acceptable. But it seems that timber cladding is well received, but that most developers prefer  the render....for cost.