Velux (roof window) options

richo106

Hi all

We are having a 780 x 1180 roof window in both our bathrooms on a pitched roof.

We will be having MVHR installed and have specc’d no trickle vents in my other windows in the house.

Is it as simple as getting a triple glazed velux window? Or is the extra cost not worth it?

Centre hung or top hung? Does this matter? 

My budget is really taking a hammering so really considering every decision regarding cost and worth it etc

Any information much appreciated 

I did a "cost / benefit" analysis on a 2G vs 3G velux and decided the extra cost of 3G was not worth it for the tiny energy saving.

That was the wrong thing to be thinking about.  That en-suite window is the only window in the house that gets just a little condensation around the edges on a very cold day.  I wish I had spent the extra on 3G to lessen the chance of that.

Re trickle vents, I objected to the principle of paying extra not to have something fitted, and in the case of velux windows, the vent is built into the handle / opening mechanism, and when shut is a very good seal, so not paying extra to have the vent omitted was the right choice.

Centre or top is personal choice.  I chose centre, I am uneasy at a dirty great big spring built into the top hung versions to counter the weight of the sash. 

How the window is hung is entirely up to you and how it will be used. Think about cleaning, top hung would have to be cleaned from outside where centre can be done either in or out

the decision to go triple is down to how far you want to push thermal efficiency, are you trying to obtain any certification?

I have both double and triple velux, the doubles I bought first when I didn’t know better, there is a huge difference in the temperature the glazed units reach in both winter and summer, so think carefully! Especially as the summers are getting hotter, 2G gets to around 70C but the 3G only around 38C in full south facing sun.

also as prodave suggests, condensation is less likely/almost never on 3G

Edited by MikeGrahamT21

Good timing for me also I hadn’t thought of the condensation in the bathroom. We have one in our bathroom now but it’s nearly always on vent and it’s very high ceiling. I wasn’t thinking about the solar gain as they are on the north side and they are there for ventilation to pass part O. 
Nice to hear your thoughts @ProDave on 2G and 3G I had been concerned about them only being 2G but feel better in my choice. 
I like the way you can open them with a pole mine will all need a 1.5m pole to open them at least.   Have you @richo106 found any other makes you like?

We went for Fakro as their 3G unvented units were cheaper than the equivalent Velux, 2 are motorised to allow for cross-ventilation. 
The motor in them is slooow relative to the  Velux ones we had in a previous house, but the rain sensors work well. One of the motors stopped working a year after we moved in, but slightly over the  2 year warranty period since they were bought. It had been used less than 20 times in that period. Fakro’s technicians were great over the phone trying to find the fault, but once it was determined to be FUBAR they came back with a quote for replacing the motor of £600 - £300 each for parts & labour!! I pushed quite hard to get this reduced, the only ‘concession’ I managed to get was that someone would talk me through fitting the motor myself as it is apparently a simple operation. 
On the basis of my experience with their product support I would not recommend them. 

15 hours ago, richo106 said:

Thank you @ProDave @MikeGrahamT21for your comments these have been perfect for me.

Any suggestions on the best place to buy a 3G centre hung velux window?

Mine came from https://www.roofgiant.com/ who claim to not be beaten on price, but they were already the cheapest. I think from memory you can sign up to a newsletter and get some money off too. Check prices once you've decided on your model code, as they effectively all come from Velux direct anyway.

5 hours ago, Nick1c said:

The motor in them is slooow relative to the  Velux ones we had in a previous house, but the rain sensors work well. 

@Nick1c

We have the Fakro ones as well, and the motor is slow, however the manual for the motor does suggest there is a programmable parameter to change the speed.

NC 814-GB_ZWS12_19.08.06_FAKRO mobile (gofakro.com)

image.thumb.png.4a2823e4fda95157664ab1afcbdd7561.png

manuals-backend.z-wave.info/make.php?lang=en&sku=ZWS12 RU&cert=ZC10-18036065

Tried to sort this out when we installed, but never really got on with sorting out programming the controllers, only adding the blinds, as we had other jobs to do like... finishing a house !!

Maybe I will take another look.

Stuff I don't understand from another forum

Indigo Domotics • View topic - Fakro Roof Windows - Zwave Function

Edited by Blooda

39 minutes ago, Blooda said:

Tried to sort this out when we installed, but never really got on with sorting out programming the controllers, only adding the blinds, as we had other jobs to do like... finishing a house !!

Interesting.

We installed a Fakro roof light with electric opener during construction in 2015. It worked with the supplied remote control when first installed, but as soon as we tried to get the hardwired Z-wave module to work with it (and our home automation system), everything including the remote control stopped working.

We put it to the side and I've never actually gotten around to sorting it out. As a result, it's never been opened since we moved in!