Tight Utility Kitchen design - is 3000mm sufficient?

puntloos

So - most kitchens have units of 600 or 450 width. But - my utility is exactly 3000mm wide. (at least, in current design).

Will this actually work? Can I put 5x600 units wide in there with e.g. a cheap Ikea/Wren kitchen? Or will I need some buffer - say 3030mm to be sure I can fit 5x600 and not have to worry about things? 3100mm? 

Or should I give up on 5x600 and assume 4x600 and 1x450? 

Also, my current kitchen is quite messy, some units have a separator between the unit (plank of about 15mm on each side), some units are packed side to side. 

If your walls are straight, you should be able to fit 5 x 600 (or 6 x 500 or any other combo that adds up to 3000), but you might need to plane a few mm off the edges of the outer units.

DIY kitchens also do 300mm wide, 400 wide, 800 wide and 900, and for some of their more basic units you can call them up and all if they will do a special width. Something like a cupboard with no drawers will certainly be bespokable to 580, for example. If you do that, it becomes much easier. DIY kitchens is also very well regarded. I’ve had three kitchens from them, good service every time.

25 minutes ago, Kelvin said:

They should beat B&Q dunno about Ikea. Our utility is coming from DIY kitchens. 

Since they list prices online it's probably fine to share - may I ask how much your utility cost (cabinets only and/or complete?)

15 minutes ago, puntloos said:

Since they list prices online it's probably fine to share - may I ask how much your utility cost (cabinets only and/or complete?)

I’ve not got that far yet. I’ve only done a cursory quick design as too many other things to do and we’re months away from needing it. It’ll be relatively inexpensive. 

6 hours ago, puntloos said:

So - most kitchens have units of 600 or 450 width. But - my utility is exactly 3000mm wide. (at least, in current design).

Will this actually work? Can I put 5x600 units wide in there

If the drawing states 3000, you are very unlikely to finish at that after building tolerances, plaster etc. If you want 5x600 units, you need to start with 3100.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Bonner said:

If the drawing states 3000, you are very unlikely to finish at that after building tolerances, plaster etc. If you want 5x600 units, you need to start with 3100.

We are having a wall cabinets in an alcove that’s 3075mm. If will be made up of 4x600mm cabinets and a 400mm for this reason. We’ve allowed for spacers to make up the gaps. 

I used this site.

I paid the $5, and cancelled the subscription straight away. I then had a month to download to my heart's content.

In practice, I found that to 'wiggle' stuff in and out I need a few mm either side - hence a 600 machine really needs 608 to 610mm.

And if you need to insert fingers down the side of a machine, then 15 additional mm per side is needed.

See that's why I love you guys (m/f) ;) I figured as much but all these DIY sites straight up claim you'll be fine with 3000 :)

I'm thinking I'll just turn one 600 into a 450 cabinet and be done with it... 

15 hours ago, puntloos said:

most kitchens have units of 600 or 450 width

IKEA do 800, as well as 400 and I think there are units with pull out internals narrower than that.  Check out the on-line configuration tool.

If you want 600 tall units at either end, with a sink in counter height units with wall units above, then you will need cover panels as you switch from full height to the middle section. From memory, these are 18mm and would need to be accommodated.

Simon