Creating temporary track for HGVs - Plastic Gravel Grids?

I need to create a small track for delivery vehicles to reverse down off an existing tarmac road and then be able to turn in the opposite direction (crude calculation of area maybe 120m2 allowing for large turning circle). It is currently a grass field and will need to be removed afterwards. I'm trying to do it fairly cheaply/ easily (ideally myself). I was thinking of using a 50mm plastic gravel grid filled with MOT type 1. There is one by Ecodeck selling on ebay for less than £10 per m2. I was thinking that once it has served it's purpose I can either re-use for my driveway or maybe sell the used grids on ebay.

Does anyone have any thoughts/ experience?

Thanks

49 minutes ago, MarkW1979 said:

I need to create a small track for delivery vehicles to reverse down off an existing tarmac road and then be able to turn in the opposite direction (crude calculation of area maybe 120m2 allowing for large turning circle). It is currently a grass field and will need to be removed afterwards. I'm trying to do it fairly cheaply/ easily (ideally myself). I was thinking of using a 50mm plastic gravel grid filled with MOT type 1. There is one by Ecodeck selling on ebay for less than £10 per m2. I was thinking that once it has served it's purpose I can either re-use for my driveway or maybe sell the used grids on ebay.

Does anyone have any thoughts/ experience?

Thanks

Is there any mention of a crane, or just heavy vehicular traffic?

If its HGVs do it properly, 400mm thick with the roll of plastic grid you get (for the life of me can't mind the name) A few bulker loads of type 1 and you'll be sorted. 

I have so far put over 1000t of stone in my plot. 

Don’t use plastic grids They will get chewed up within days Dig it out and get a couple of loads of large stone topped off with Mot 

Most of the larger sites are jet washing lorrys wheels off before before they leave site to prevent muck being tracked on to the tarmac 

• Like 1

Those plastic grids will last about 30 seconds. 

Options you have. 

Hire in something which will cost you, but at the end no cost to remove and reinstate. 

Tempory Road way, which is aluminium sheets that lock together, or bog mats, these are huge slabs of timber bolted together. 

Ive used both in my case it was cheaper to buy the bog mats and throw them on a bonfire at the end, I had them on a job for over a year. 

Get an excavator tor’s in and dig out,  then a ground reinforcement membrane, then lorry loads of large 75mm or bigger stone, topped of with type 1. 

When you remove this you can use it around the house. 

Gravel grid cells are too small for type 1. Needs to be 20mm down stone to fit. Hence gravel in the title, but grit is better. It has to be full so that the weight is on the stone. It isn't good for heavy vehicles, especially turning, and needs a strong base.

Better in your case to design in stone and add geomembanes to suit the ground and loading.

If you cut too many corners you may end up endlessly topping up.

4 hours ago, twice round the block said:

hiring in metal deck.

Perhaps we will hear from you again when you get a quote for it.

I went to a National Trust place today and saw their parking surfaces. On most they had gravel, which must be on a very good base.

nearer the property gets most use and wear, and they had plastic grid, but was full of earth.

Another extensive area was covered with plastic boards made for the purpose, and they had moved a lot and were trip hazards. So the moral is that the NT are still experimenting.