I'm sooo tempted not to repay this .... but....

ToughButterCup

February's bill landed on 'the mat' this morning.....

Balance1.thumb.jpg.6f22cca2df148fe40771c4e620d9b879.jpg

Alternative Fuel Payment ...... in an all electric house ? 

Digging around a bit and .... gov.uk says ....

Scope1.thumb.jpg.c932d09d395df249b864a91b3b3cada3.jpg

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1130933/domestic-alternative-fuel-payment-scheme-suppliers-guidance.pdf

Downloaded 28th Feb 2023 

So I'd better pay it back.

Whassa betting it'll take a dozen phone calls and emails to get it paid back?

There was something on the local radio last week about this.  In short, the way the payment has been set up (for speed of payment rather than accuracy) they are using simplified data to determine areas that are not connected to the gas grid, and therefore alternatively fuelled.

You can't repay it.  you could donate it to a charity of your choice if you wish.

Well at least it seems for me the government has paid for the cost of my new chainsaw to prepare my "alternative fuel"

The Alternative fuel payment was automatically paid to any house in a postcode that does not have mains gas and where the census data says the majority of houses uses something other than electricity as their main heating.    I wasn't expecting it but in view of the debacle of the price cap falling but bills rising announcement will gladly spend it for them.

1 minute ago, ProDave said:

Well at least it seems for me the government has paid for the cost of my new chainsaw to prepare my "alternative fuel"

Now that is an idea. I had to get some forester contacts out at the weekend to cut up a fallen oak. He had a new STIHL with 36" bar on it that caused a bit of chainsaw envy.

They could take a good stab at it from your electricity consumption.

Consumption over say 2x the 2900kWh in the price cap and no rebate as you either use electricity for heating or don't need the rebate.

Of course then someone with an EV will pipe up that it's unfair on them and it starts again.