Solar install with G99 fast track help (Phase/Neutral Loop Impedance)

bullishbroker24

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

Has anyone done a G98 or G99 application recently?  The rules were supposed to change about now so most cases the customer does not have to pay for any necessary network upgrades.

About to do one. G98 is still quite limited, but there are now three flavours of G99 fast-track which I think will cover most domestic installs.

https://connections.nationalgrid.co.uk/get-connected/solar-and-wind/fast-track-g99/

SGI-2 and SGI-3 are both before-install applications, but in theory, it's a 10-day response time.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Also going to Tigo everything, but prob only one optimiser per 2x panels vs 1x per panel.

Have been doing some research into panels and optimisers for my planned PV and there seems to be a view now that, unless you have some really bad shading issues, optimisers don't help output that much (and can reduce it) as modern panels and decent inverters (e.g. your sunsync) are very good at managing shading now.

Apparently there's also been some major firmware issues with some Tigo optimizers which causes issues. Blog here.

24 minutes ago, Dan F said:

there are now three flavours of G99 fast-track which I think will cover most domestic installs

The process depends on your local DNO.

For mine, where UKPN are the DNO, they have an online process which will give you automatic approval for install and inform for anything up to 5kW. Higher and it is an application and wait for approval process.

Another classic case of making things inconsistent across the country!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rob99 said:

The process depends on your local DNO.

For mine, where UKPN are the DNO, they have an online process which will give you automatic approval for install and inform for anything up to 5kW. Higher and it is an application and wait for approval process.

Another classic case of making things inconsistent across the country!!

I will simply do this based on the inverter being dialled down to the requisite for fast-track, and then ( as it's a hybrid ) I can bolt on as many panels as I like, and same with batteries. Soon find out what WPD have to say!!

1 hour ago, Rob99 said:

Have been doing some research into panels and optimisers for my planned PV and there seems to be a view now that, unless you have some really bad shading issues, optimisers don't help output that much (and can reduce it) as modern panels and decent inverters (e.g. your sunsync) are very good at managing shading now.

Apparently there's also been some major firmware issues with some Tigo optimizers which causes issues. Blog here.

I have to, as there will be 4 separate 'arrays', with a fragmented mix of SE / SW / SSE and E to give me as long a solar day as possible.

I'll look at that blog, thanks, appreciated.

2 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

I have to, as there will be 4 separate 'arrays', with a fragmented mix of SE / SW / SSE and E to give me as long a solar day as possible.

Ah yes, makes sense otherwise you'll need 4 seperate strings and AFAIK inverters tend to come with 2 MPPT max

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Why not 2, 2 string inverters?

Then split up as you were going to.

44 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

I will simply do this based on the inverter being dialled down to the requisite for fast-track, and then ( as it's a hybrid ) I can bolt on as many panels as I like, and same with batteries. Soon find out what WPD have to say!!

Be interested - assume you'll report back.  I've got 1 string of ours functional, so under the 4kW limit but will hopefully have the 2nd string working in a week or so - the last panle on the pallet was smashed, so trying to get a replacement....

Simon

On 25/02/2023 at 10:33, ProDave said:

Wait until after April.  If your test comes out worse than 0.18 ohm, then they will likely say you need a network upgrade.  If you applied for that today, there would be a cost.

But it looks like after April you may not have to pay for network upgrades.  See this thread:

I will be watching for how people find this situation after April, I would like more PV myself but don't want to pay for a network upgrade that I don't think I actually need as I have no intention of exporting anything.

Is 0.18 still a requirement?  We're at 0.22 from the electrical certificate from the build.  So quite a bit above 0.18.

Simon

2 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

Why not 2, 2 string inverters?

Then split up as you were going to.

Twice the fecking price, that’s why lol!!

I’ll be north of 12.5kWp but as it’s fragmented I can push the 8.8kW inverter to 140% without issue. Doubt very much I’ll ever see as much as 10kW at the inverter at any one given time. 

• 3 weeks later...