Exterior Cladding on a renovation

SamSelfBuild

Hi there. I’m looking to clad 3 exterior walls of a house. Currently they are rendered block cavity walls. I’ll either batten and fix cedar to the sides or use brick slips. 

The thing is they built the front facade in stone, which actually looks fine so I don’t want to work on that. Also there are quoins on the corners that I would be happy to keep. 

My issue is whatever cladding I go with will bring the wall out from the quoins and the front facade. I could remove the render and fix to the block but I still don’t think that would leave me flush with the existing stone work. Certainly not if I went with the wood option which would mean a 25mm batten and probably a 15-20mm plank. 

does anyone have any experience with this or suggestions? I’m scratching my head a bit and thinking I might just have to accept either cladding method sitting off the stone work somewhat. 

7A8352FF-8487-43CF-991D-E2EFACC87A74.jpeg

My first question is why?

Give that render a good clean with a pressure washer and re paint it, job done, low maintenance external finish.

Cladding would make sense if it was part of an external wall insulation system to improve the performance of the building.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, ProDave said:

My first question is why?

Give that render a good clean with a pressure washer and re paint it, job done, low maintenance external finish.

Cladding would make sense if it was part of an external wall insulation system to improve the performance of the building.

Thanks Dave, it’s just an appearance issue for us. Not a functional one. It’s lower on the list of priorities so could still just go with the render. 

I’m having a survey done to assess whether the cavity is insulated or not. If not I was going to go with blown beads so the cladding will be purely for vanity reasons. 

1 hour ago, SamSelfBuild said:

Hi there. I’m looking to clad 3 exterior walls of a house. Currently they are rendered block cavity walls. I’ll either batten and fix cedar to the sides or use brick slips. 

The thing is they built the front facade in stone, which actually looks fine so I don’t want to work on that. Also there are quoins on the corners that I would be happy to keep. 

My issue is whatever cladding I go with will bring the wall out from the quoins and the front facade. I could remove the render and fix to the block but I still don’t think that would leave me flush with the existing stone work. Certainly not if I went with the wood option which would mean a 25mm batten and probably a 15-20mm plank. 

does anyone have any experience with this or suggestions? I’m scratching my head a bit and thinking I might just have to accept either cladding method sitting off the stone work somewhat. 

7A8352FF-8487-43CF-991D-E2EFACC87A74.jpeg

Are you on an earthquake fault zone??? I'm looking at the roof tiles.😆

I'm with @ProDave here. 

You'll need to extend the eaves to cover any cladding too.

I would chose a neutral paint complimentary to the colour of the stonework. A cream or light brown maybe. 

Another option for it to look fresher is to  power wash and paint the roof tiles. 

43 minutes ago, Iceverge said:

I'm with @ProDave here. 

You'll need to extend the eaves to cover any cladding too.

I would chose a neutral paint complimentary to the colour of the stonework. A cream or light brown maybe. 

Another option for it to look fresher is to  power wash and paint the roof tiles. 

Really appreciate your feedback. I would be fine retaining the render on both gable ends but the rear of the house facing the garden just looks horrible. 

Im going to remove the chimney as the flashing is in need of real work and we don’t really care for its function internally anyway. As such work will have to be done around the eaves. A loft conversion is also planned as the pitch works so there will be tiles following the velux installation to use if I had to. Currently there is a 100/120mm soffit, probably not that clear from the picture. 

on the rear of the building the fascia and guttering will need replacing, there should be room for brick slips to fit. The issue then returns to the slips being proud of the quoins. 

again, I reallly appreciate the feedback, I know I’m being stubborn regarding the render but I hate it. 

Picture's would help. especially of the quoins and soffits in detai. Lots of knowledgeable folk on here with a world of experience.  

You can get dedicated brick slip carrying insulation boards. It really would be a squandered opportunity to only do the brick slips without insulation. 

image.thumb.png.5cee426a2c263cce556da46b668d4867.png

A cheaper alternative might be to get a stencil and a good painter. 

image.thumb.png.7bad6988a21a01cab8d324021959a0b4.png

image.png.a78650526feed26194a2a896854d5dc3.png

https://www.cuttingedgestencils.com/blog/paint-a-faux-brick-wall-using-stencils.html

Thanks again, I’ll certainly post some more detailed images this week. 

I initially thought to externally insulate but that would definitely require extending the roof on both gables. The underside of the the verge has cement board that I’m pretty confident is asbestos so the idea was to fill the cavity to insulate and just clad the exterior in order to avoid asbestos work. 

Pic shows where my cladded gable meets a rendered elevation.  Obviously you’d have the stonework & quoins, not render.

Doing this on your house is going to be a problem due to roof overhand plus the chimney stack.  You might have to build out the roof out further to take another row of tiles. 

there are silicone based render systems designed to go over existing rough render, that might be a better option athletically.  

If you are insistent on timber cladding even the likes of PowerPoint can be used to cut and paste material palettes over photos.  I share 100% opinions of others that cladding not the best option, but it’s your house and money.  Planners might not approve it if it is not in keeping etc.

8C6E7FC8-575D-4574-A74F-FCA4CF4E358C.jpeg