Source of opaque diffusing strip for LED strips?

Fallingditch

I have a granite kitchen worksurface and a granite topped island.

An 11mm groove has been routed underneath the granite where it protrudes over cupboard doors and drawers.

10mm, 12V DC RGBWW strip has been fitted in the groove.

It is controlled by a wall mounted controller which causes the strip to illuminate either in a single adjustable colour, or to continually change colour (disco mode, as they call it).

All works really well:

IMG_20170715_220324.thumb.jpg.2f541c7860646945de694f119b227c4d.jpg

IMG_20170715_220310.thumb.jpg.85463bebde3bedf8fed63310d79e0d6c.jpg

However, seeing the individually glowing chips rather detracts from the experience IMHO!

Anyone know where I can source plastic diffusing strip? to stick over the groove and create a single band of coloured light?

Edited by Fallingditch
typo correction

I dismantled a couple of LCD tv screens from sets with broken screens (to recover the CFL tubes) They are made up of several layers of opaque plastic sheets for precicely the same reason, to difuse the light so it does not appear to come from a few CFL tubes.  That would probably easily cut into strips for what you want.

Not sure that helps unless you want to seek out a scrap a tv and start dismantling it.

7 hours ago, Fallingditch said:

I have a granite kitchen worksurface and a granite topped island.

An 11mm groove has been routed underneath the granite where it protrudes over cupboard doors and drawers.

10mm, 12V DC RGBWW strip has been fitted in the groove.

It is controlled by a wall mounted controller which causes the strip to illuminate either in a single adjustable colour, or to continually change colour (disco mode, as they call it).

All works really well:

IMG_20170715_220324.thumb.jpg.2f541c7860646945de694f119b227c4d.jpg

IMG_20170715_220310.thumb.jpg.85463bebde3bedf8fed63310d79e0d6c.jpg

However, seeing the individually glowing chips rather detracts from the experience IMHO!

Anyone know where I can source plastic diffusing strip? to stick over the groove and create a single band of coloured light?

downlightsdirect.co.uk      in the led striplights section

Edited by recoveringacademic
Inserted hyperlink
  • Like 2

As @lizzie said you can get the channels with the opaque covers but I'm not sure you'll want to take out your led's re-size the channel and refit.

How about just getting some 2 or 3mm opaque Perspex and bond it on or into the gap? 

This seller seems to indicate he'll do custom sizes:

Opal Opaque Acrylic Perspex Sheet Plastic LED Lighting Sign Diffuser Material

• Like 2

• 10 months later...

They are quite a good find! I've been scouring eBay as well and some good deals on there. I notice that they are 3062 LED chips, but only at 60 per metre. From my understanding the newer chips can be installed at 120 per metre, giving much better illumination levels. Depends what you want them for, of course!