Sockets and switches

Ann

I'd appreciate any recommendations for sockets and switches before making a decision for a whole house rewire. My preference would be white metal sockets and switches throughout (possibly brushed chrome in the kitchen), but I'm not sure about Knightsbridge and MK is too expensive. Alternatively, which good quality white moulded sockets and switches have you used and would recommend? Thanks in advance!

Scholmore Click is my favourite range.

Decorative  https://www.toolstation.com/electrical-supplies-accessories/decorative-switches-sockets/c806?brand=Click+Deco

White  https://www.toolstation.com/electrical-supplies-accessories/switches-sockets/c660?brand=Scolmore+Click

Never had trouble with the Click fittings good quality for not much money.

Schneider is another make that gets good reviews.

I have not personally rated MK as "quality" for a long time.

• Like 1

Is there a danger that you might be overthinking this? We have used brushed nickel throughout in the belief that some white moulded sockets may discolour over time and also the brushed nickel ones enhance the qualities of our other fittings etc.

The reason I say what I did at the start is that although like most things, you can pay an unlimited amount for things which in essence do the same thing. Surely electrical sockets fall into that bracket. There are plenty of suppliers on the internet all with competitively priced products. They all look the same and all do the same job so why over invest when there isn't a need to do so?

Click or Schneider Lisse are fine. Not sure anyone makes white painted / powder coated switches and sockets in anything but flat plate and they have the downside that they scratch and aren’t easily repaired without it showing. 

6 minutes ago, Redoctober said:

They all look the same and all do the same job so why over invest when there isn't a need to do so?

Agree they all look approximately the same and largely do the same thing but you need to ensure that you can get all the functionality you need from the range available. We are just going through this and in three locations I need 4 double boxes and a  single to achieve what I need (2x13A, 2xCAT6, 1x5A, 1xTV aerial and 1x twin Audio plate) depending on range I can combine some of these or not and then there is the switches. Makes a difference to the socket real estate and so the range choice you have. EG MK do not do a Wifi controlled wall socket and have no plans to make one. Scolmore 'new media' has every sort of plate except white so while I should be able to achieve a smaller config with that it won't match white switches. Its more of a mine field than it first appears.

• Like 2

Click is the best value for money and reliability. I must’ve fitted 10’s of thousands of their accessories. Very few failures. Schneider ultimate if you’re going screwless flat plate. Click Definity is poor imo. 

There is a vast difference in quality between the better brands like Click or Hager etc and cheap rubbish like LAP or BG. You’ll get loads of issues with that stuff in my experience. It’s not worth saving a few pennies a socket for. 

• Like 1

We used Schneider Lisse in our last build and were happy, so we are going to use them in our current house, when I rewire it. I like the built in, loop in, connection on the light switches, so you don't have to use a Wago.

• 3 weeks later...