What fixings do you prefer to hang 12kg from plasterboard fixings

SWMBO wants various things hung from the ceiling (me excluded, luckily).

These seem to have good reviews, but no weight rating:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/plasplugs-heavy-duty-plasterboard-fixings-10-x-36mm-30-pack/2760K?tc=IB2&ds_kid=92700048793290424&ds_rl=1249413&gclid=CjwKCAiA8OmdBhAgEiwAShr40xywzOESgMBqJ4BnKUJAhH7L4r7Yk2tSNcDrug0VXpmtvha1Djg58xoC1xkQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Instinct tells me something made of metal would be stronger. This has good reviews, but seems too good to be true (apart from price):

https://www.screwfix.com/p/rawlplug-tap-it-plasterboard-fixings-screws-metal-30mm-25-pack/7610P?kpid=7610P&ds_kid=92700048793290424&ds_rl=1249413&gclid=CjwKCAiA8OmdBhAgEiwAShr409x0A0KQRpDV3Vm6fBfLR6BUwrmnsNpMqIVWZGIBB4Z6uZ9kxICB4RoCRAoQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds#product_additional_details_container

Or this product called bullfix, which might be overkill and is crazy expensive at almost £1 a fixing.

Or this one, which is even more expensive at £2 a fixing (but sold on Amazon so probably cheaper elsewhere.

1 hour ago, Mattg4321 said:

The 'ideal for double thickness Plaster board' bit gives away the pull through issue you might experience with single layer stuff. 12Kg is probably too much for a single point on a single layer of PB. @Adsibob you are probably going to have to spread the load. When I needed to do this, although my need was only a couple of KG, I cut a slot in the PB slid a piece of plywood in over the place I wanted the load, secured the ply with PB screws from inside the room, fitted the 'hook' and then made good the slot with easyfill. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MikeSharp01 said:

12Kg is probably too much for a single point on a single later of PB. @Adsibob you are probably going to have to spread the load. When I needed to do this, although my need was only a couple of KG, I cut a slot in the PB slid a piece of plywood in over the place I wanted the load, secured the ply with PB screws from inside the room, fitted the 'hook' and then made good the slot with easyfill. 

Well the bull fix is rated something stupid, like 110kg. I don’t believe that for a second (surely it would rip through the plasterboard) but clearly they are very confident in the product.  

unfortunately there is not enough space to fix anything behind the plasterboard now. It is a very narrow bit of ceiling, only 10cm wide, and the void above is probably only 8cm deep.

The butterfly fixing I linked to spreads the load better than gripit imo. The downside compared to gripit is that you have to use the machine screw provided (or same size), and you can’t leave head proud of ceiling/wall for keyhole type fixings. 

Ideal for double layer may come from the longer length (standard is 50mm). I don’t bother with 50mm as if you have anything thicker than a few mm to fix through the butterfly won’t open properly. I’ve probably fitted a 4 figure amount of these over the years! Don’t think I’ve ever had one pull out unless the plasterboard got wet or something. 

Just what 25Kg load do you want to hang from a ceiling?  I would want at least 2 fixings into a joist.  e.g. when designing the kitchen and knowing we would have an island cooker hood, the noggins and supports for it were built in before the plasterboard went on.

I didn't like hollow wall anchors because of the way they spun and ripped plasterboard, until i discovered setting tools. Like a rivet gun.

The anchors can be 70mm long, maybe more. 

Used for very heavy duty eg toilet cubicles where the supplier denied all responsibility fof wall fixings. Very successful...so much so that the tool didappeared. 

content://com.android.chrome.FileProvider/images/screenshot/1673180082309677399860.jpg

Ceiling?...in theory yes but a noggin has to be favourite.

Edited by saveasteading

Thanks everyone for your responses. I agree it would be better to attach to a vertical wall, rather than a horizontal ceiling, but unfortunately, unless anyone knows of a tiny drill that can be used for awkward angles, that’s not a possibility. Here is a cross section of the recessed LED light:

9BCFB93F-4037-45F8-9B18-3E5AAA8D045F.thumb.jpeg.9ba383c3ec2a905976c30f86c34058d4.jpeg

in the top left of the cross section is an LED tube. In the top right is where we want the hook. Functionally, the hook would still do the same job if fixed to the wall, rather than the ceiling, but I very much doubt there is a drill that can get into that awkward angle? I would like the hook hidden, so I can’t go down any lower down on the wall, without it becoming visible in the room.

12kg is me over estimating. These hooks will mostly be used to hang hanging pot plants and paintings, so more likely in the 6kg to 9kg range, but always worth over engineering these things.

Wall is tiled, I have the drill bit to drill through into it. That’s not the issue, it’s just access, although I’ve just seen online that there are right angled drill bit adaptors that might help convert my drill into a right angled drill.

The pelmet is plasterboard that has been plastered in a special clay based plaster from Clayworks. In theory could be patched up, but I rather not as it was a special finish that I’m unlikely to be able to recreate. I raised this issue with the guys on site before the installed the pelmet, and was told “don’t worry, you can hang stuff from the ceiling part”.

5 hours ago, Mattg4321 said:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/easyfix-spring-toggles-5-x-80mm-20-pack/7168x

These, although not suitable for all applications for various reasons. 

These have a major weakness IMO: If you need to temporarily unscrew the fixing then the back butterfly invariably drops down the back of the PB, so you need to insert another fixing.

I would also personally avoid the Fischer self drilled type as overtightening can cause these to ream out a bloody great hole in the PB.

I find the ballooning types such as this Fischer one and this Timco one for high load / vibration tolerant applications such as shelving. 

22 hours ago, Adsibob said:

Or this product called bullfix, which might be overkill and is crazy expensive at almost £1 a fixing.

Or this one, which is even more expensive at £2 a fixing (but sold on Amazon so probably cheaper elsewhere.

Crazy expansive? :D  Yes, that's absolutely bloody ludicrous!! ( NOT ). How do these people sleep at night?

Would you prefer something in the 8p range? Finance available?

Tight-arse.

• Haha 2