Cutting glass tiles

Stones

We've finally settled on mosaic tile for our kitchen splashback, something similar to this:

https://www.mosafil.co.uk/glass-mosaic-tiles-white-glossy-25x50x4mm.html?gclid=Cj0KEQjwkZfLBRCzg-69tJy84N8BEiQAffAwqijfA-IcMiA0uC7pe8mNh6Bxt0eeHuuZoj1st1r2hJUaAiYM8P8HAQ

I'm going to have to cut some of the tiles in half to form a straight edge. Given the small size of the individual tiles, and the fact they are glass, what is the best method / tool for cutting.

I'm going to be doing this job myself, and currently do not possess any tiling tools.

46 minutes ago, Stones said:

We've finally settled on mosaic tile for our kitchen splashback, something similar to this:

https://www.mosafil.co.uk/glass-mosaic-tiles-white-glossy-25x50x4mm.html?gclid=Cj0KEQjwkZfLBRCzg-69tJy84N8BEiQAffAwqijfA-IcMiA0uC7pe8mNh6Bxt0eeHuuZoj1st1r2hJUaAiYM8P8HAQ

I'm going to have to cut some of the tiles in half to form a straight edge. Given the small size of the individual tiles, and the fact they are glass, what is the best method / tool for cutting.

I'm going to be doing this job myself, and currently do not possess any tiling tools.

Mark with a fine sharpie marker then scribe with a decent oil filled glass cutter and snap across a flat edge such as a metal rule laid flat. They will cut very easily as long as you don't try and cut them to say 10mm

7 hours ago, jamiehamy said:

How odd - that's exactly the question I was going to pose here shortly! I await more responses - we need to cut sockets out. The other half will be mighty pleased if it can be done easily! 

It can imo. These people appear near to you.

http://www.jetcutit.com

It's the sort of place you want. Not on personal recommendation just found through searching.  (Must be 15 -20 years since I dealt with a fabricator in Scotland and that was in Edinburgh!)

Water / laser cutting is great. If you have rudimentary CAD skills they can likely cut it. From house signs to faux hinges in everything from MDF to 200mm thick stainless steel at one place I use. Cutting tiles in half of course wouldn't need a drawing! :)

I'm guessing though your sockets are already in place and you need to tile over them? Not so easy as having a batch of like tiles cut I'm afraid.

@Nickfromwales will be along shortly about cutting tiles I'm sure!

Edited by Onoff
  • Like 1

@Stones

Invert the problem and procure some of the 25mm x 25mm samples to fill in the gaps instead? Does that also give you the nice edge to the individual tiles rather than a cut?

https://www.mosafil.co.uk/sample-glass-mosaic-tiles-temple-white-25x25x4mm.html

That is not quite the right version of white, but they must have them surely?

They seem to cost about £2.20 for 6.

As far as I can see, you could actually use a contrasting colour as you would need them all the way down the vertical edges, to give a boundary zip.

Or have I missed something obvious?

Add: Think these are the right ones (?):

https://www.mosafil.co.uk/sample-ceramic-mosaic-tiles-white-glossy-25x25x4mm.html

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, PeterW said:

Mark with a fine sharpie marker then scribe with a decent oil filled glass cutter and snap across a flat edge such as a metal rule laid flat. They will cut very easily as long as you don't try and cut them to say 10mm

Thanks. A quick search gives a range of prices ( and presumably quality). Any particular cutter you would recommend?

1 hour ago, Ferdinand said:

@Stones

Invert the problem and procure some of the 25mm x 25mm samples to fill in the gaps instead? Does that also give you the nice edge to the individual tiles rather than a cut?

https://www.mosafil.co.uk/sample-glass-mosaic-tiles-temple-white-25x25x4mm.html

That is not quite the right version of white, but they must have them surely?

They seem to cost about £2.20 for 6.

As far as I can see, you could actually use a contrasting colour as you would need them all the way down the vertical edges, to give a boundary zip.

Or have I missed something obvious?

Add: Think these are the right ones (?):

https://www.mosafil.co.uk/sample-ceramic-mosaic-tiles-white-glossy-25x25x4mm.html

Ferdinand

I had exactly the same thoughts and conveyed the contrast colour / edge idea to SWMBO. Let's just say the look I was given rules that idea out. 

Using 25mm x 25mm instead of cutting would as you suggest save a lot of hassle. Again, looked at that option in store, but for some reason the two sizes, although nominally the same colour / finish, were different and ruled unacceptable. Sourcing elsewhere may well deal with that issue.

I have a Toyo as it was given to me by a glass artist friend and I treasure it - they are a little expensive but worth every penny. 

You can find them online - don't get the copies off eBay as they are rubbish ..!

http://www.creativeglassguild.co.uk/prod/toyo-super-glass-cutter-tc1?utm_source=Google+Shopping&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=Google+Shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpeSA_O6F1QIVw7ztCh0uZwB0EAQYBCABEgLgXPD_BwE

2 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

One begs to interject......will you need L shape cuts? I assume so unless your the luckiest man alive ? 

The tiles are only one inch x 2 inches, so I don't see that for a splash back (?)

Edited by Ferdinand

17 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Around sockets etc ? 

It was a bit I took out of my earlier post ... I would use sockets with dimensions of close to exact multiples of the tile spacing. I think that means avoiding doubles.

This is ia splash back, so sockets may not be involved.

Inthe last couple of kitchens I have done, I simply keep the sockets out of the tiles. Too much buggeration - snd I do not think the design suffers particularly. But I am the management 9_9.

F

Edited by Ferdinand

1 minute ago, jamiehamy said:

The mosaics we have don't fit the sockets in any way - if we go down the route, we have to cut them out. I can see this far enough tbh!

Cutting glass mosaics isn't an envious task. I can mark them in straight lines with my big ( 1200mm ) rubi cutter and use my big nibblers to break them but it's just horrible TBH. If your wet cutting with a good new blade in an electric wet cutter then the little glass shards and 'flyers', which go everywhere when dry cutting, tend to stay on the cutter where you can keep washing / hosing down ( I rarely cut inside with glass ). You can't rub the dust / shards off with your hand so you need a bucket of water to clean down, where the glass bits can collect at the bottom. 

Coloured glass mosaics start life as clear regular bits of glass which then have a coloured film / backer applied to create the illusion of the colour going right through. Not damaging that backer is very important so take care if your cutter isn't new / could damage it. ;)

Cutting slowly with plenty of water is my preferred method, and it's much more forgiving as you can shave a blades width off to give a cleaner edge if you so choose / have to. 

6 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

It has been tiles as a backing edge or splash back and (lots of) sockets above.

Ferdinand

Point conceded :)

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

A kitchen without sockets may be a rarity  ;). Not seen one yet :P

Mate went to one a few years back. High end kitchen fitted, all tiled and no sockets anywhere. Not apparently the case that they were even there and had been tiled over. Customer, foreign, refused to have the tiles damaged. The "sparks" had run around the outside of the kitchen extension and came thru the wall at multiple points with SWA! John (my mate) was only there to dismantle the units.:)

51 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

A kitchen without sockets may be a rarity  ;). Not seen one yet :P

I have no wall sockets in mine. Have the pop jobs in the worktop. Went this road as I will be getting the glass splashback so much cheaper if there are no holes to cut out 

I have a glass one piece glass splash back.

didnt want sockets cut out in it so I have them at the sides where I cut out holes in the units and they fit in between.

Im not describing in well, but it looks good, very happy with them.

I'll take a photo when I'm home 

• Like 1