HSE

nod

Tell 'em to sling their hook:

https://www.hse.gov.uk/construction/cdm/2015/summary.htm

Summary of duties under Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 2015 (CDM 2015)

** CDM 2015 applies if the work is carried out by someone else on the domestic client's behalf. If the householder carries out the work themselves, it is classed as DIY and CDM 2015 does not apply.

1 hour ago, nod said:

I’ve just had a visit from HSE

Why are we working on a steep frozen roof and to cease immediately 

Correct if I’m wrong But I didn’t think HSE had any right to come on a private build 

Did you tell them you we're practicing for the winter Olympics and there are no other ski slopes locally?

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

I am surprised they visited.  Normally only after an accident or grass up.

If it is only you and Mrs @nod skidding about it has nothing to do with HSE.

Yes 

Just my son and me loading onto the scaffolding 

Far to dangerous to be on the roof 

1 hour ago, nod said:

Correct if I’m wrong But I didn’t think HSE had any right to come on a private build 

You are correct.

Tell them

'.... I am a Domestic Client under CDM 2015.... Please tell me the name and contact details of your line manage so I can submit a complaint about your interference on a private site....'

And then a cheerful Prestonian Bye  Bye....

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ToughButterCup said:

You are correct.

Tell them

'.... I am a Domestic Client under CDM 2015.... Please tell me the name and contact details of your line manage so I can submit a complaint about your interference on a private site....'

And then a cheerful Prestonian Bye  Bye....

Things started to go down hill when my son told him to get a proper job 😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

That reminds me of a job we were doing in Milton Keynes, first day crane on site the local HSE guy came to tell us he passed this site twice a day. Needless to say everyone told to be squeaky clean. One day he came onto site and the bell was ringing on the crane (kato truck cranes all did this whenever boom was below 30 degrees) but instead of telling the guy this, crane driver said “please don’t phone my gaffer” and why is that? Because he’s always told me to turn the bell off if I’m doing anything dodgy! 🙈 let’s just say we didn’t get much done over the next few days

• Like 1

Playing Devil’s advocate. He’s driven past your site by happenstance (let’s assume) he works for the HSE and sees two builders on what looks like a building job on a frosty day. What’s should he do? Drive on by or check what’s going on? He doesn’t know if you are a keen DIYer not bothered by H&S or a builder taking a chance or a contractor being coerced to work when it’s not safe. Seems fair enough to me for him to check given that the construction industry has the highest number of people killed in the workplace than any other albeit the agricultural industry has the highest rate of death per capita. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Moonshine said:

i thought they have the right to get on a site at any time.

They do not have the right to access private property - without express permission. At the time, Gary was acting as  a Domestic Client. Not a professional builder. The only way a mistake might have been made (by the Inspectors) was if @nod had not shut his HERAS gate behind him. 

HERAS is at one and the same time such an annoying bloody pain, and so essential. 

1 hour ago, Kelvin said:

Playing Devil’s advocate. He’s driven past your site by happenstance (let’s assume) he works for the HSE and sees two builders on what looks like a building job on a frosty day. What’s should he do?....

Behave politely. Give @nod the chance to explain himself, politely apologise for the understandable but  unwarranted intrusion, and then leave.  

I suspect that inspectors get more than their fair share of abuse - and so go in with both feet first and (not) apologise later.

Which is why I thought that Gary should consider putting in a complaint: a shot across their bows might improve their general approach to people on worksites.

18 minutes ago, ToughButterCup said:

They do not have the right to access private property - without express permission. At the time, Gary was acting as  a Domestic Client. Not a professional builder. The only way a mistake might have been made (by the Inspectors) was if @nod had not shut his HERAS gate behind him. 

I know that he does a lot of the work himself, but its not clear in his original post it was him and an unpaid individual(s) and not him and employed roofers / other trade.

Also how does a external person know that situation from the road?

Y

11 minutes ago, Moonshine said:

I know that he does a lot of the work himself, but its not clear in his original post it was him and an unpaid individual(s) and not him and employed roofers / other trade.

Also how does a external person know that situation from the road?

Yes it was me and my son 

To cold for plater Not much going on on the sites last or this week 

One of the largest building companies won’t get us heaters or allow us to use our own Health and safety risk 😁

15 hours ago, Kelvin said:

Being told to go and get a proper job doesn’t tend to always be the best approach. 

The whole sector could do with improved communication. A healthy dose of Emotional Intelligence wouldn't go amiss either.

Every single issue we faced on our site was caused by failures in communication: builders being rude, my lack of confidence at dealing with poor workmanship, one plumber's mendacity was particularly memorable, phone calls unanswered. And builders (now personal friends)  tell me of nightmare customers, pointless customer insistence on a wrong specification, non-payment, rudeness. Building Control Officers (not personal friends) tell me stories that would make anyone shake their head: corruption, backhanders - good old plain lies. Illegal behaviour:  ecologists tell of farmers killing wildlife a year before a planning application.  (Examples of all the above in plain sight from our own plot)

Being barked at by an over-zealous HSE Inspector - small beer. And he would have expected the response he got because he's had worse.

17 hours ago, Kelvin said:

the construction industry has the highest number of people killed in the workplace than any other albeit the agricultural industry has the highest rate of death per capita. 

Have you seen when farmers start building stuff?

Had they been working on the pyramids they'd be thrown off site or some of the carry you'd witness. 

1 hour ago, Iceverge said:

Have you seen when farmers start building stuff?

Had they been working on the pyramids they'd be thrown off site or some of the carry you'd witness. 

I grew up working on a farm and currently live on a farm. When I was 17 I fell through a roof into an open slurry tank although fortunately it was empty. 😂 

I also got kicked in the plums by a calf. The vet was debudding the horns and asked me and another guy to hold on to it. I’d helped the vet a lot so knew what to do. The other guy was a first timer so didn’t realise how the horns are debudded (gas tong things) As as the vet started the other guy immediately let go of the front end and the back end hoofed me right in the stones. 

Edited by Kelvin
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, ToughButterCup said:

Here, they start by killing the wildlife. 

Sadly yes. 

I built a slurry pit last year, covered by slats so no falling in hopefully.

As I was in the 3m deep excavated hole discussing something manly and concretish with the contractor I spotted a lone frog hopping around forelonely. 

I picked it up just as my surly concrete man accosted me and mounted a bloody robust verbal defence of the frog. He relaxed and smiled when I told him I was going to put it back out on the grass. He thought I had murderous intent. 

Not all of us are bad I'd like to think. The system unfortunately encourages maximum production with scant regard for the rest of the living world. 

@Kelvin roofs are terribly dangerous. In the last 18 months 2 men have been killed in separate falls from shed roofs near me. Very sad.