Connecting soil stack to the existing sewer

pilgrim

I am struggling to find the right key words to find the bit I need to connect my new soil stack to the existing vitreous clay soil pipe in the ground. I assume an adaptor would be best here to ensure a good seal.

I have attached some photos of the existing pipe and a rough sketch for the new soil stack that I am planning to build.

Any help on this would be much appreciated.

PXL_20221201_072031186.jpg

PXL_20221201_102629433.jpg

PXL_20221201_102703898.jpg

PXL_20221201_102734015.jpg

3 minutes ago, MikeGrahamT21 said:

+1 for everything aside from concrete. Building control do not permit concrete to touch drainage, it should be surrounded in 10mm pea gravel. My new drainage had to be shuttered so the concrete foundation came nowhere near it

Opposite here. Anything with less than 300mm cover has to be encased. Also standard practice in the water industry for shallow cover pipes of all types. 

Other than concrete, @pilgrim, make sure the pipe above is well supported and protected from movement.Hence the suggestion of concrete. 

Screenshot_20221201_125228_Drive.jpg

Thank you for the links to documents and the advice @Conor @crispy_wafer. I will check with my building control guy whether he would like the new joint encased in concrete or not.

I have to cut the concrete against the wall back and put in a french drain so I will also cut around the connection and see what I find when I dig down. 🤞

• 3 weeks later...

@Nickfromwales @Mr Punter That standing water was actually caused by a blocked sewer, after I read these messages I lifted the man hole and the level was only a few inches below the cover. Ive had it unblocked now and the water is gone, it was just an elbow.

Ive now started the process of installing the french drain and digging out the old pipes. 

PXL_20221211_144233806.jpeg

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, pilgrim said:

@Nickfromwales @Mr Punter That standing water was actually caused by a blocked sewer, after I read these messages I lifted the man hole and the level was only a few inches below the cover. Ive had it unblocked now and the water is gone, it was just an elbow.

Ive now started the process of installing the french drain and digging out the old pipes. 

PXL_20221211_144233806.jpeg

Happy days. 

• 3 weeks later...

Back to the digging today, there was no concrete or shingle protecting the old soil pipe.

Do you think it would be worth digging out all the way to the manhole/inspection chamber and replacing all the old pipework with some shingle?

Also weirdly this hole is slowly filling with water, bottom left in picture, this level is above the level of the communal sewer and the water smells clean. There are no rivers or ponds nearby so im surprised to see the water seeping into the hole.

PXL_20230104_162448159.jpeg

6 minutes ago, pilgrim said:

Also weirdly this hole is slowly filling with water, bottom left in picture, this level is above the level of the communal sewer and the water smells clean. There are no rivers or ponds nearby so im surprised to see the water seeping into the hole.

The brickwork the rising from the foundation also looks wet. Is this a suspended floor? I'm wondering if there was a puddle in this corner that's now able to seep out.

8 minutes ago, pilgrim said:

im surprised to see the water seeping into the hole.

Unless Suffolk is different, the ground will be saturated and water will seep in from all around. It doesn't look a lot.

I agree to leave that lovely old pipework in place, unless it looks damaged. Put shingle round and over it.

25 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Why are you wanting to replace all the old pipe?  It looks okay to me?

The old bathroom waste had the toilet connected to the furthest pipe and the bath draining into the open drain, now putting in a new soil stack that I want to also connect the bath into, also putting in a downstairs toilet just a bit further out of the top of the shot, to all link up.

So I was thinking of cutting the pipe just below the Y joint and using a coupler to join the plastic pipework, just wanted to make sure I wouldnt be causing any future problems with movement or different materials causing issues down the line. Plumbing is still new to me!

25 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

Unless Suffolk is different, the ground will be saturated and water will seep in from all around. It doesn't look a lot.

Hopefully it is just ground water, just seemed odd it only happened in this area, hopefully it wont be any fuller in the morning!