Gerband Air Tightness

iSelfBuild

Hello All,

Just about to order the air tightness membrane and tapes. I'm going with Passive House Systems, I met Sean at a show I was exhibiting at last year and their products seems great and found some decent reviews on here!

The wall build up is as follows (outside in) - Siberian Larch, 25mm batten space, Breathable felt, 50mm batten space, 75mm EPS, Tyvek Dupont, 18mm OSB, 200mm studs full filled with rockwool) then another 18mm OSB on the inside.

Plan is to add the air tight membrane inside with 25mm service battens and plasterboard over.

That's all standard build up right? Anything special needed around the windows? We were going to carefully tape the air tight membrane around the reveals to the window then cover the tape with the plasterboard reveals. 

The cheapest membrane I could find was the Protect Barriair at a shade under £100 per roll.  I bought most of my air tight tape from Germany or from ebay to get it well under £20 per roll. But still spent what seems a silly amount on tape.

For window reveals you need the tape with the split backing paper like the Airstop stuff I recently bought. You can do it with the normal tape but it's hard work to get it neat with just a small amount of tape on the window that will get covered by the plasterboard.

I've used Siga Corvum tape around the windows, with a 48mm/12mm split. Very easy to use and the plasterboard reveal hides it. You do have to be fairly patient and careful.

I ran short by about one metre and got given a few feet of a different (non split)tape by a neighbour. Much, much harder to use!

• 6 months later...
On 6/30/2017 at 08:35, ProDave said:

The cheapest membrane I could find was the Protect Barriair at a shade under £100 per roll.  I bought most of my air tight tape from Germany or from ebay to get it well under £20 per roll. But still spent what seems a silly amount on tape.

For window reveals you need the tape with the split backing paper like the Airstop stuff I recently bought. You can do it with the normal tape but it's hard work to get it neat with just a small amount of tape on the window that will get covered by the plasterboard.

About to fit 160 sheets of 11mm OSB3 to inside of walls and roof, can you recommend any airtight tape.

Happy with the Protect Barriair as well?

7 hours ago, JamesP said:

About to fit 160 sheets of 11mm OSB3 to inside of walls and roof, can you recommend any airtight tape.

Happy with the Protect Barriair as well?

Following as i am needing some tape as well....... 

44 minutes ago, jamiehamy said:

I've got a big surplus of Tescon Pro Clima, mainly 100mm tape. Think I have two or three rolls.  If any one is interested happy to sell for much less than it cost? (I think it was expensive). 

Could have done with a roll last week ..! How much ..?

And I use the Gerband stuff from Passive House Systems And been really impressed with it as bought the 88/12 and the 50mm stuff too 

4 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Could have done with a roll last week ..! How much ..?

And I use the Gerband stuff from Passive House Systems And been really impressed with it as bought the 88/12 and the 50mm stuff too 

I'm about to head up to the house - will check how much I have and get back to you later. 

j

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Cpd said:

Following as i am needing some tape as well....... 

Just as I said in June.  The Protect Barriair membrane was the cheapest I could find, I got it to order from Jewson and the Tescon Vana tape from a German ebay seller way cheaper than any of the UK sellers.

One thing I would caution. The Barriiar membrane has in built tape down both edges so that is supposed to be the air tightness tape to join adjacent strips. BUT I found in places where the taped joint did not line up with a stud (and hence service void batten) it had a tendancy in places to come unstuck.

So, what I did was everywhere there was a joint not ending up underneath a batten, I screwed an offcut strip of OSB over the joint to hold it together, just in case.

It might be better to tape the joints in the Barriair with Tescon Vanna rather than rely on the inbuilt adhesive strips.

• Thanks 1

I used a cheap airtight membrane (prodomo) for €70 or circa £60 for a 1.5x50 meter roll (75sqm). I had an existing blockwork wall which I used this over and then a batten service cavity and plasterboard over. It wasn't a reinforced membrane and easier to tear but I though against a blockwork wall was fine. If it was a timber frame and had to hold in cellulose I'd be a bit worried.

In the attic area I used Pro Clima Intello which I bought online from Germany for 2-3 times the price of the above cheaper stuff but was still another 2-3 times cheaper than my local BM. This was supporting insulation and I'd have electricans and MVHR people going through the attic so wanted something stronger. Bought various tapes, mastic for fixing to blockwork, etc online from Germany too.

I'd a huge area with all high ceilings so went through a lot and needed to make savings. I think with airtight membranes you have to consider where they will be and what stress will be on them and can then buy accordingly to save money.

Edited by Dudda

On 30/06/2017 at 08:35, ProDave said:

Whats the airstop stuff like Dave? Read some bad reviews about it not sticking, as I was going to buy some for my windows.

If anyone is wanting breathable airtight membrane, rather than an AVCL, Tyvek Supro (i.e. Roofing Membrane), is actually airtight to 50pa (I think), so should be suitable and is reasonably cheap on ebay.

http://www.dupont.co.uk/content/dam/assets/products-and-services/construction-materials/tyvek-building-envelope/Documentation/Technical-Datasheets/TDS-DuPont-Tyvek-Supro-and-Supro-Plus.pdf

Resistance to penetration of air EN 12114 m³/(m² h 50Pa) - - 0,25 (Maximum)

Compared with a true air barrier:

Air Permeance EN 12114 0.01m3/m2/hr @50Pa

Kingspan Nilvent is also classed as airtight. They all claim airtight at normal building pressures 50pa. I plan on using this under the floor boards to save me the nightmare of having to seal every little bit between the joists, and then lap up the wall, and bond to the wall itself, it'll then get covered up by plaster and skirting board.

Edited by MikeGrahamT21

10 minutes ago, MikeGrahamT21 said:

Whats the airstop stuff like Dave? Read some bad reviews about it not sticking, as I was going to buy some for my windows.

It is a lot less nice to use that the Tescon, in particular the backing is fiddly to peel off. It is not as "nice" in that the adhesive tends to ooze out a bit.

But at £9 per roll for the few I bought I am not complaining.

Also to add to the above.  The Barriair membrane is not reinforced with a woven web but it is very tough and won't tear easilly.

If you want cheap, a recent grand designs appeared to be using ordinary damp proof membrane as an air tight layer.

1 minute ago, ProDave said:

It is a lot less nice to use that the Tescon, in particular the backing is fiddly to peel off. It is not as "nice" in that the adhesive tends to ooze out a bit.

But at £9 per roll for the few I bought I am not complaining.

Wow, yeah £9 a roll is very good, I'm guessing thats not a price we can all pay? lol

6 hours ago, ProDave said:

If you want cheap, a recent grand designs appeared to be using ordinary damp proof membrane as an air tight layer.

Yep - we used green VCL for £13 a roll from Screwfix ..! Also used Gerband adhesive tape along with the 88/12 split that was fantastic around windows. 

43 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Yep - we used green VCL for £13 a roll from Screwfix ..! Also used Gerband adhesive tape along with the 88/12 split that was fantastic around windows. 

This green stuff? 

SAM_0378

Surprisingly tough I've found. Made the mistake of trying to join it at the overlap with Visqueen DPM tape. FAR too thick and not that sticky! Ended up foil taping the joints and hoping for the sandwiching effect of of the pb up against the join.

This on ebay.de which works out at £15.00 a roll inclusive. Do you know if I can claim back VAT?

www.ebay.de/itm/Tescon-Vana-Dampfsperre-Klebeband-Pro-Clima-PREMIUM-Allround-30m-x-6cm/201991241078?hash=item2f079dbd76:m:miILfCmA5AIiZc77NhPSq7A#shpCntId

44 minutes ago, JamesP said:

Did you tape both  the OSB and VCL?

Originally the design was for the OSB joints to be taped and the OSB to be the airtight layer, but I decided a proper air tight membrane was better.  Some of the OSB did get taped first before I made that decision but I consder that a waste of tape.