Buying tiles. Discount to expect, comments on wood effect.

saveasteading

It is time to choose floor and wall tiling. 300m2+.

3 questions.

There are hints of very large discounts, if committing to the whole project. Perhaps suggesting close to 50%.

We could keep to a small range in large quantities, using the higher end ranges if the discount is enough.

Any experience, target, advice?

I dont like 'effects' but am over-ruled, and we are looking at wood effect porcelain. I especially dislike the repeat of prints of knots and shakes, which in life are unique,  and very especially if they line up due to identical tile prints.  

Has anyone overcome this?

I am thinking find a range with subtle (boring?) marking, a large range of patterns, and reversing half. Then we mix them rather than leaving it to the tiler. 

Do we favour realistic textures or smooth?

Why do you need such a large quantity. Is for several properties or just one?

Wood effect porcelain can look good if you go for the super expensive variety. But why not just lay real wood engineered boards? These days you can get very good oils which will make it very moisture resistant. 

Alternatively, Pergo do a laminate which is pretty realistic. Can't tell without touching it and even then the only tell tale sign is that it is slightly cooler to the touch than real wood.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Adsibob said:

just one?

Yes. It is a big refurb. Doing it in one is a large expense but the vat comes back just the once.

Thinking of holiday lets, there is turnaround cleaning....hence  brushable, washable floors, and dogs: whose claws damage laminate or vinyl. 

We went with textured wood effect porcelain tiles. We live at the end of a lane which for about 6 months of the year is a muddy lane. So far the porcelain tiles have proved indestructible especially when it comes to mud and stone being walked in. The dog is the worst offender, he refuses to wipe his feet. After a quick wipe over with a steam mop the tiles are like new again. 

Repeated patterns would drive me nuts which I made the tiler aware of. I think he’s done a brilliant job. 

Most visitors think the floor is timber so I guess it’s ticking that box, the same tile continues outside onto the patio, they are twice the width and thickness. 

0354A34C-74AB-4FEA-8156-D1C875BD17D7.thumb.jpeg.5336b8bbedabd7fe01f4f6c1e2ff1bfb.jpeg

• Like 2

With similar misgivings I laid some for my son at his request. They looked quite ... OK. He was very happy with them and I guess I could learn to live with them! Ours were from Wickes, and I think I have a box over, so I'll take a look and report back on details.

The tiles are called 'Myspace Cinnamon', they cost circa £50/m2 including VAT after discount, way back in 2021 when the world was only mildly mad.

They are very hard wearing, our steel staircase was dropped and dragged a short way across the lightly protected tiles on its way to being installed. With trepidation I removed the protective cardboard to see a big black mark on one of the tiles which transpired to be powder coat abraded from the staircase, once cleaned off the tile was pristine.

• Like 2

Sorry, the above info is duff. That price was for the larger format 20mm thick exterior tiles. The 10mm thick interior tiles would have been less but I can't find the invoice.

Edited by Russdl

2 hours ago, Russdl said:

We went with textured wood effect porcelain tiles. We live at the end of a lane which for about 6 months of the year is a muddy lane. So far the porcelain tiles have proved indestructible especially when it comes to mud and stone being walked in. The dog is the worst offender, he refuses to wipe his feet. After a quick wipe over with a steam mop the tiles are like new again. 

Repeated patterns would drive me nuts which I made the tiler aware of. I think he’s done a brilliant job. 

Most visitors think the floor is timber so I guess it’s ticking that box, the same tile continues outside onto the patio, they are twice the width and thickness. 

0354A34C-74AB-4FEA-8156-D1C875BD17D7.thumb.jpeg.5336b8bbedabd7fe01f4f6c1e2ff1bfb.jpeg

I've seen them in the flesh and they are fab - excellent choice

51 minutes ago, nod said:

Ask your tiler to get you a discount 

I pay between 40 and 60 % of the shop price 

Stay clear of topps 

What is actually the pro with Topps Tiles? Do they make their own tiles and they’re rubbish? Do they sell other manufacturer’s tiles and they’re rubbish? Is if the service? The cost? Is it just a bad experience on your side or do others feel the same?

I've been ok with topps for some years  Quality good. Mostly buying their staple ranges or special offers.

Any problems are...the staff are helpful but know v little about tiles. The computer decides what price to offer.

I think with a formal enquiry if will go to head office for a price.

But I await Nod's reasons with interest.

Nod, don't say anything you would better not, in writing.

7 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

What is actually the pro with Topps Tiles? Do they make their own tiles and they’re rubbish? Do they sell other manufacturer’s tiles and they’re rubbish? Is if the service? The cost? Is it just a bad experience on your side or do others feel the same?

Over priced 

Pricing per tile to help fool diyers 

There sales approach is similar to one of the fast fit tyre and exhaust centres 

Most of there tiles are end of line 

Al Murad tend to be end of line 

But at least they are upfront about it 

The trade side of top's is fine 60% off 

Same with there overpriced adhesives 

£10 for 20 kg of rapid set should be fine 

• Thanks 1

I've found the tiles Russdl recommends online. I wasn't going to mention the price as is about £40, if he paid 50.  But now I can.

No manufacturer or dealer appears to mention the problem of repeats.

However, Russdl's tiles are by NovaBell. Their pictures don't seem to have any repeats, and they say 'infinite' layout. I wonder if they have a digital computer with hundreds of m2 of timber photos on it  and every tile is different....or is that wishful thinking...

Unfortunately there are no showrooms nearby so we will have to forget them.

4 hours ago, saveasteading said:

Yes. It is a big refurb. Doing it in one is a large expense but the vat comes back just the once.

Thinking of holiday lets, there is turnaround cleaning....hence  brushable, washable floors, and dogs: whose claws damage laminate or vinyl. 

Pergo won’t be damaged by dog claws. One of the premium Pergo ranges is completely water resistant. Much cheaper than installing tiles.

10 minutes ago, nod said:

Nod, thanks. I appear not to have fallen for that, as the floor tiles we used twice are still there after 5 years. Similarly metro wall tiles.

But some specials were really that and long gone.

I just got annoyed, as you say, that extras were expensive...1 more bag of adhesive was £20 whereas the first 4 were £40 total. Ditto trims.

They will either quote to us as if a contractor or lose the lot.

Edited by saveasteading

40 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

I just got annoyed, as you say, that extras were expensive...1 more bag of adhesive was £20 whereas the first 4 were £40 total. Ditto trims.

What do others do?

My supplier, who is mainly trade, lets me buy take complete packs of tiles (unless it is a special) or complete bags of adhesive back - as long as it is within a day or two.

So I just buy a couple of extra of each to make sure I am covered.

Ferdinand

6 hours ago, saveasteading said:

It is time to choose floor and wall tiling. 300m2+.

Are you getting that "twitchy feeling"

and we are looking at wood effect porcelain

I'm making a bit of progress on my own house, the big part of the job is done internally, now moving onto master bathroom downstairs.

Lucky here as my wife is pretty strong on the interior design side.

Anyway this bathroom has a suspended timber floor with UFH so it is going to move about a bit. Wife has spied some large format tiles but I'm saying.. hey last house I built with UFH the floor tiles cracked.. very embarrassing as it was in the bathroom that every visitor used. When I say cracked it was cracked!

Thus large format tiles 1200 x 600mm are proposed for the walls, smaller for the floor... tonight!

Design is a journey although fun.

With the lastest tile printing technology we are looking at wood effect printed tiles in a smallish format. If they crack then I maybe can replace them.. hopefully not as will be using a decoupling mat.

Any experience, target, advice?

I know you know @saveasteadingbut for all ask are the tiles and substrate compatible with under floor heating.

Target advice.

I reckon if you pitch in with a 300 sqm order then you'll hold the whip hand. Also do you want to include a decoupling matt. What about adhesive and trims / threshold bars. Also what about the shower rooms etc. It is all these things that can make or break a good deal. Yes you may get a good deal on the tiles but it's always been the "other bits" that make a good deal a real deal.

Remember when Topps set up in Edinburgh.. they knew how to sell even to the "pros"

Problem is that when you're in the heat of battle doing a big renovation you struggle to find the time to do it all and still do the day job.

At this area you are talking about, and I think you said you have a good few bathrooms to do, then you are into the teratory of saying.. a pallat of tile adhesive.. xxx amount of packs of tile trims in these sizes and types.

I know it will take a pile of work to do a material list for all of that.. the trims and gestimating how much adhesive you need is a big challenge..

@nod can you help?

Edited by Gus Potter

1 hour ago, nod said:

Over priced 

Pricing per tile to help fool diyers 

There sales approach is similar to one of the fast fit tyre and exhaust centres 

Al Murad tend to be end of line 

But at least they are upfront about it 

The trade side of top's is fine 60% off 

Same with there overpriced adhesives 

£10 for 20 kg of rapid set should be fine 

Thanks. Always good to know why! Means we can go in with eyes open. 👍

So here is the plan.

I will do a schedule of areas for floors and walls.

We will suggest tiles that we like but won't love them

Also an estimate of trims, door thresholds, hardybacker, and any other odds.

Supplier can propose the adhesive and grout quantities.

Tools too as there will be at least some diy.

From that we get closer discussion with one or more supplier with big discounts.

They agree to hold more of the same batch, or take back surplus. All adhesive etc as required,  at the agreed price whenever we choose.

Then we talk detail on delivery and price.

Adhesive: professionals will want rapid set....amateurs slow set so it will be as required.

Wasteage. I am shocked to see 10% quoted by all suppliers.  

3% is still a lot of expensive hardcore.

19 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

Wasteage. I am shocked to see 10% quoted by all suppliers.  

I think it's a far do at 10%

Take a bathroom. Do the floor tile joints need to be symmetric with the wall tiles?

It's a steading.. the floors will not be square so can't have slivers of tiles running to zero at the skitings as it will look crap.

In the round though.. if it's a forever home it's a big ask to get it all right straight off the bat even if it is your day job.

I would live in it a bit, do the main rooms and then finish once you have got to grips with how you are actually using it from day to day... that is part of the fun of moving into a rural location.. new friends.. new way of life.