Buying tiles. Discount to expect, comments on wood effect.

saveasteading

6 hours ago, Gus Potter said:

think it's a fair do at 10%

I've done quite a lot of tiling. The waste is generally a strip of 50mm in the centre and there is 5% of the 10% to keep as spare or take back to the shop. Big tiles worse of course.

Perhaps if it is the day job there isn't time to save and sort the offcuts for reuse.

I helped an amazing tiler once, who didn't use spacers, but a very rapid set adhesive on walls, He held each wall tile in place for 15 seconds while preparing and placing  the next tile with the other hand.  5 time as fast as me and worth his £350/day ( which his fixed price worked to).

On a complex floor layout I handed him the next shape to save breaking his rhythm.

I sorted  the offcuts for reuse and his convenience.

With tiles at £20 the wastage isn't as bad as at £50 of course.

On 31/10/2022 at 14:53, saveasteading said:

It is time to choose floor and wall tiling. 300m2+.

I dont like 'effects' but am over-ruled, and we are looking at wood effect porcelain. I especially dislike the repeat of prints of knots and shakes, which in life are unique,  and very especially if they line up due to identical tile prints.  

I have decided to buy environmentally friendly wood-effect laminate flooring made from wood pulp  - Egger Aqua+ (plus). This is the only one of the Egger flooring products which has a life-time warranty and at least it should see me out as I am already over the hill. What's more? It's affordable for me on a tight budget and you know what they say about the Scots?

15 hours ago, saveasteading said:

I helped an amazing tiler once, who didn't use spacers, but a very rapid set adhesive on walls, He held each wall tile in place for 15 seconds while preparing and placing  the next tile with the other hand. .... worth his £350/day ( which his fixed price worked to).

Where is this brilliant tiler nowadays?

20 minutes ago, Gow said:

Egger Aqua+ 

Supposedly  "more resistant to water swelling than standard laminate flooring, making it the ideal choice for kitchens, bathrooms, hallways and commercial areas" and alas I am not getting commission, for promoting this product...

9 hours ago, Gow said:

I have decided to buy environmentally friendly wood-effect laminate flooring made from wood pulp  - Egger Aqua+ (plus). This is the only one of the Egger flooring products which has a life-time warranty and at least it should see me out as I am already over the hill. What's more? It's affordable for me on a tight budget and you know what they say about the Scots?

how well does that work with UFH?

28 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

with UFH?

The underlayer can be the woodpulp board that has rather low insulating properties.  But it won't be as conductive as tiles, you are right.  Bedrooms only?

The ad does go on to say that wellness moments can be in other rooms too.

• Like 1

I have contacted the Italian company that makes the MySpace tiles recommended by Russdl.

We would have to see a big sample. The suppliers have promptly responded, that suppliers  (having told them Inverness) are in Chichester, Bedford and St Albans.

They ignored my question on repeat patterns.

£40/ m2 is to be found on websites, which is over budget.

14 hours ago, Thorfun said:

how well does that work with UFH?

https://support.egger.com/hc/en-us/articles/360019247658-What-is-Aqua-technology-

Aqua+ provides a cost effective alternative to real wood or glued and grouted ceramic tiles. Easy to fit, it is also suitable for use with underfloor heating and can be steam cleaned.

EGGER’s state-of-the-art Laminate with Aqua+ technology offers reassurance for both private and commercial interiors that require a moisture resistant floor. It comes with a lifetime guarantee for residential use and five years for commercial applications.

To find out more visit egger.com/aquaplus 

😄

I'm on holiday in Spain  and popped into the big DIY to look at tile quality and variety, so as to discuss quality with the family on site.

As we looked at one display this man came along and reduced the prices.

12 Euros /m2 for decent tiles. Inside they got more expensive...about E18 average. Exchange rate 1.14. So I'm thinking 60% discount should be easily OK in UK, even allowing for transport of Italian or Spanish tiles, and  priced at £50.

On the other hand, real timber laminates were silly expensive. 

20221102_162443.thumb.jpg.a470897fb2e318bf4246f5d59f931f1f.jpg