ASHP standby power consumption, monitoring, turn off and back on because of power cut.

Marvin

Further to @Temp's reply in @joe90's topic  Can we keep the lights on this winter?

Our ASHP has it's own main electric meter with nothing else connected. Testing over hours, it appears that my previous estimation of the standby power consumption is about right.  The results for our ASHP on standby is a rate of about 82-84 watts, so total used for 24 hour standby is  1.968-2.016kWh assuming no power used for the heat protection of the ASHP. This was measured with an outside temperature no lower than 8.8C over the last 24 hours and no lower than 9.9C during the period of measurement.  

Bearing in mind that the ASHP compressor must be warm enough to work without causing excessive wear, and requires 12 hours of standby after the outside temp achieved rises above 5C, this may mean that we cannot turn the ASHP back on for 12 hours after a power cut! 

I hope every ASHP owner with the same compressor requirement is aware of the dilemma of either having no heating for 12 hours or risking excessive wear of the compressor. 

Marvin

• Sad 1

At 2 kWh a day, that is, at current rates, about £250/year.

Now I have no idea what you could realistically get for your ASHP on eBay, or how much a new one with a decent compressor would cost.

But I would be considering it at today's energy prices (though I think they will come down).

17 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

At 2 kWh a day, that is, at current rates, about £250/year.

Now I have no idea what you could realistically get for your ASHP on eBay, or how much a new one with a decent compressor would cost.

But I would be considering it at today's energy prices (though I think they will come down).

Yes... 

However nothing these days seems that simple....The ASHP is not on standby all the time because it is used now and then. During the year when the average 24 hour temperature is above 16C we don't need the ASHP on.

7 minutes ago, JohnMo said:

Put it on weather compensation so it runs all the time, set the flow temp as  low as you can, should give a good CoP and no standby.  At setback 2 degrees.

Doesn't address the OP issue that after a (regular, planned) power cut you somehow need to lock out the ASHP from operating for 12 hours or risk excessive wear on the compression.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dpmiller said:

where has it been stated that a 12h warmup is needed?

For mine, I checked with the manufacturer to understand why on page 27 it says to 'ensure power is on ahead and heating at least 12 hours for crankcase'

So it looks like the Carel inverter is looking after crankcase heating, but I can't see any adjustable setpoints. As well as the enable in User Mask, there is a line in the inverter setup screen for auto/manual, and another showing current. Unsure whether this is a band heater or injecting into the motor coils tho...

I'd opine that the 12h is very conservative, bearing in mind that the unit is rated for down to -20C, and also  the Sprsun manual makes NO reference to this necessary delay.

24 minutes ago, dpmiller said:

So it looks like the Carel inverter is looking after crankcase heating, but I can't see any adjustable setpoints. As well as the enable in User Mask, there is a line in the inverter setup screen for auto/manual, and another showing current. Unsure whether this is a band heater or injecting into the motor coils tho...

I'd opine that the 12h is very conservative, bearing in mind that the unit is rated for down to -20C, and also  the Sprsun manual makes NO reference to this necessary delay.

Would it be the Carel or some form of low temp heater in the unit? Hence the ~90w an hour power usage?

38 minutes ago, dpmiller said:

:unsure: , I'm going to look into it

It's wired on output NO6 from the Carel pCO - a switched 230 output. Easy enough to disconnect if it's an annoying parasitic load.

Edited by HughF
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, HughF said:

It's wired on output NO6 from the Carel pCO - a switched 230 output.

in which case it's under active control. I'll try to get a look at ours early in the morning if it's cold overnight and see if it's on, and if the run current is displayed.

Certainly the PVE lubricant required for the panasonc compressor specced is less demanding of heat than earlier POE oils

Just now, Marvin said:

Hi @dpmiller.  Just a thought. I assume you know our model is a Cool Energ inverTech Air Source Heat Pump CE-iVT9 with a Carel interface. 

I noticed you wrote about a Sprsun manual, which I had to look up to know what a Sprsun was.

M

Yes, the manufacturer is Sprsun

• Thanks 1

I am struggling to find out if my Aeromax ASHP (carrier) has the type of compressor that needs heating to stop wear as I was planning to put it on a timer to benefit from PV during daylight hours, any pointers please 🙏

3 minutes ago, joe90 said:

I guess so, I bought it on EBay as a punt, works very well but wondered if anyone else had found out about theirs?

I think the issue has only just arisen because of:

Suggested power cuts in the UK in Jan/Feb.

Enquiries regarding other, ASHP's instructions stipulating 12 hour on standby before firing up.

Me being a mean sod wondering why my ASHP uses 2kWk a day on standby.

I think it was expected that ASHP's in the UK would be left on at least standby all the time especially during winter for frost/freezing protection.

• Haha 1

Just to add, the Nibe installer menu says this for the F2040 models:

image.png.729b91b26d0c86dc6d36fbe9d6212e78.png

You can also see that the 8kW model uses approx 30W in crankcase heater mode.

Even in the middle of summer I've not often seen my system use anything less than the 30W, and Nibe won't confirm what conditions must be met for the system to enter standby or thermostat off mode.

I have only ever seen power usage drop when the outdoor unit air temperature exceeds 42C (In the sun during the heat wave)

image.png.64e8348627d020a90dc6506fca315dfb.png

Edited by Luke1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, joe90 said:

+1, I must get a clamp to see what it is drawing on standby, I guess that will tell me.

You can use one of the ones I left there.

Just need to clamp it around the L or N to the ASHP and then keep an eye on the display. Will be close enough to let you know what is being drawn most of the time.

Leave it in a day, week or month and it will give you those numbers.

It may need a new battery as it has been at yours for a few years now.