Looks poor to me, but is it?

StevenM

When checking my contractors work I usually go by a simple rule, “If it looks like poor workmanship, then it probably is.”

The majority of my extension involves a suspended timber floor. When the contractor got up to DPC I noticed the lack of air bricks. When I brought this up I was told they were to be notched in later and cavity trays will be installed as they move up.

The contractor is halfway up to GF wall plate and he has started to notch in the air bricks. Outside looks fine, with cavity trays and weep vents. Internally, to me anyway, it looks a complete mess. I also feel the internal load bearing skin has now been compromised (when compared to a non notched wall).

what do you guys think? I feel like I need to now insist on small 65x100 lintels.  Only two pictures but there are 6 openings, all of the same quality internally.

5D08DD9A-DF75-4EDB-BA5E-AB070992DA76.jpeg

27D10FEE-86BA-4D83-A097-16F6D47DA9EB.jpeg

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, StevenM said:

Thought so. Getting a new contractor is easier said than done unfortunately.

This is not the first time I’ve asked them to redo work. Again, I’ll ask them to redo but with a stark warning.

thanks all

Wasting your breath. 
Continuing with these clowns is a suicide mission.

If you’re happy with these idiots then on your head be it sorry. You’re being given sound advice here, what you do with it is up to you. 

Pretty much why I instructed my clients in Leicester to sack their ‘builder’……

complete buffoons of an order of magnitude. Causing more harm than good, and covering it over hoping it wouldn’t get seen / discovered. Even staged ‘photo shoots’ for BCO then didn’t carry on with the same standards. Far from it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I do agree. But I am not sure what to do. If I sack the “builder” (which is the right thing to do) how long before I find another. I’m living in rented accommodation whilst the work is on-going so it will cost.

I’ve paid the builder up to DPC level.

Just thinking out loud here. Might have to bite the bullet and let them go.

thanks all

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StevenM said:

I do agree. But I am not sure what to do. If I sack the “builder” (which is the right thing to do) how long before I find another. I’m living in rented accommodation whilst the work is on-going so it will cost.

I’ve paid the builder up to DPC level.

Just thinking out loud here. Might have to bite the bullet and let them go.

thanks all

You’ll thank yourself later. Cost of a months re t to find another contractor would soon pale into insignificance when retrospective repairs either stopped you moving in anyways, or cost several thousands to correct whilst you were living in it.

Bite the bullet, not great news I know, but these guys are just crap. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, StevenM said:

When the contractor got up to DPC I noticed the lack of air bricks. When I brought this up I was told they were to be notched in later

He clearly forgot or didn't know the void should be ventilated. Got to question what else he doesn't know or will forget.

• Thanks 1

I would look at your contract as that little picture shows a fair old mess, appreciate that you might find difficulty in getting another builder but if you continue down this route what else will they mess up, and you will have spent more money on them and then on further trades to rectifying issues, which is generally destructive work.  Best to get it right the first time.

• Thanks 2

When are telescopic air vent required? I can’t understand why he needs to use them as the external air brick is under the suspended floor level. I have been reading they are only required when external ground floor is above internal
floor height

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StevenM said:

When are telescopic air vent required? I can’t understand why he needs to use them as the external air brick is under the suspended floor level. I have been reading they are only required when external ground floor is above internal
floor height

You are correct. If the floor level is high enough no need for the periscope type vents. There are straight through sleeves for air bricks..

https://www.manthorpebp.co.uk/wall-floor-ventilation/underfloor-ventilation/cavity-sleeve

9 hours ago, StevenM said:

When are telescopic air vent required? I can’t understand why he needs to use them as the external air brick is under the suspended floor level

If so then your external ground level must be very low compared to your internal finished floor level?

why didnt they just build them in as they went ? It's more than double the work to do it they way they have so there must be a reason. Ask them what it is ? 

Show a picture of the brick side, insisite on a 4" lintle over their cut.

Has building control been out yet ?

6 minutes ago, Dave Jones said:

why didnt they just build them in as they went ? It's more than double the work to do it they way they have so there must be a reason. Ask them what it is ?

I’ve just got off the phone to them………

Answer: Because they are a bunch of cocks ;) 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, Brickie said:

If so then your external ground level must be very low compared to your internal finished floor level?

Yes, there is a step up to my front door. Not very high but high enough to allow a direct vent as opposed to telescopic

10 hours ago, Dave Jones said:

Show a picture of the brick side, insisite on a 4" lintle over their cut.

Has building control been out yet ?

Don’t believe I have a brick side pick, I’ll take one tomorrow.

I’ve sent the same pictures to building control 

10 hours ago, Dave Jones said:

Because they forgot and are not covering their tracks with bullshit!

When my builder forgot a step, at least he had the decency to admit it. It only happened once in a 20 month build, but it was pretty important. We forget to put a cavity closer in either side of the opening for the sliding door. Had to cut the bricks and put one in. Not terrible, as sliding door was deep enough that it covered the mistake.

Update: I’ve just had a site meeting and sacked the builder. It was the right thing to do.

I now need to find another tradesman. Not sure if we are allowed to provide recommendations on here.  There is a hell of a lot of work to do.

• Like 1