Building control

KTB

Building control have said they aren't doing any inspections and have asked me to upload them pictures of each stage of the build. Does anyone have a definitive list of what I should be photographing - And, Not? 

This is based on their Domestic compliance plan document.

Commencement

Foundation

Drainage/Substructure

Superstructure

Completion

Cheers 

Its the local council building control - Think they only have 1/2 officers, so they aren't doing any inspections. the reply so far has simply been "send us the photos", without specifying exactly what they want to see? I'm not happy about simply sending random photos without prior warning of what they're looking for.

I had this with Angus council . My contractor was supposed to be doing it and did not bother his arse. Luckily I had taken loads of photos saved to cloud storage so when they asked for the photos at the end of the build I gave them access. 

They were also a bit vague with exactly what they wanted just asking for detailed photos or video of 

• Foundations 
  • Superstructure
  • Drainage (Foul)
  • Drainage (Soakaway)

For superstructure I made sure included any steel work and trusses going in as well as windows. The issue we had is that they wanted to see insulation before the the pasteboard went on and as ours is closed panel so we had to get info from the manufacturer instead.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KTB said:

Its the local council building control - Think they only have 1/2 officers, so they aren't doing any inspections. the reply so far has simply been "send us the photos", without specifying exactly what they want to see? I'm not happy about simply sending random photos without prior warning of what they're looking for.

That’s really poor 

It won’t exactly keep your contractors on there toes 

• Like 1

Seems to defeat the purpose of having an external body monitoring what's going on? "Just make your own photos (Which can easily be doctored using Photoshop) and send us a random selection"

Bizzare 

25 minutes ago, KTB said:

Seems to defeat the purpose of having an external body monitoring what's going on? "Just make your own photos (Which can easily be doctored using Photoshop) and send us a random selection"

Bizzare 

Exactly 

I know most of the private BC do this 

But you wouldn’t expect this from LA BC 

Taking photographs is really a last resort by Building Control - not liked by officers and open to abuse. However lockdown necessitated the use of photographic evidence and the inspection notes would reflect this.

Im surprised that the BCO hasn’t asked for a video call - this is often a very useful exercise and a real-time inspection can give the BCO an opportunity to review and comment on the works before you proceed to the next stage.

If your BCO is asking for photographs I would suggest that they really don’t have the resources (at the moment) to carry out inspections to all properties.

I would suggest that you photograph everything - twice. I would also suggest the following:

Commencement.

A video is quite useful showing the commencement of any excavation in relation to the wider site. Again photographs of the site before, during and after any excavation works.

Foundations.

Photograph all trenches showing the site in context so that there is no ambiguity on the location of the foundation trenches.

Photograph the width and depth of a few typical trenches - internal wall trenches may be wider than the external wall trenches.

photograph the base of a few trenches to show the composition and material of the sub-base.

Sub-Floor.

Photograph the sub-base being placed in stages showing the materials used and the depth of hardcore placed. A gain make sure some photographs show the works in context with the wider site. Show the sub-structure being built, in context and with measurements. Photograph all DPMs or radon barriers being placed along with overlaps and sealed joints.

Drainage.

Photograph the layout showing the location and inside of all ICs or MHs - dimension the cover and show the location of all SVPs. Take a video of the drainage being tested to show that the falls are satisfactory.

Superstructure.

Again - photograph everything with dimensions. Photograph the inside of all cavities and show the location of wall ties, insulation and all DPCs. Photograph the sizes, strength grade and centres of all floor joists, rafters, purlins, trusses - the list is too extensive to mention but if it doesn’t move photograph it.

Completion.

Start at the site entrance to show that the disabled access complies. Photograph the width of the PA door complete with a dimension.

Photograph the location of all SAAs, HAAs and CO alarms. Take a video to show that they are working and interlinked. Video all extract fans working and show that any PIV and MVHR systems are installed and working satisfactorily. Photograph all EEWs showing the width and height. Photograph the roof space to show that it is insulated.

I have probably missed a shed load of stuff. However I would strongly suggest that you get confirmation each stage of what your BCO wants you to photograph. Then I would send all photographs and videos and would ask for written confirmation that what you have submitted is satisfactory and that you can move to the next stage of your build.

Hope this helps in some way.

• Like 2

Not sure about the requirements in Scotland but certainly the new Appr Doc L for England requires photographic evidence of a lot of the works. Failure to do so is viewed as a non-compliance with the Regs and can also impact the SAP assessment as the assessor needs copies of the photos too as part of the 'as built' assessment.

• Like 1

Love to see how they would do a drain test ..!!! Annoying that they charge you £250 for inspections and then it’s down to sending your photos … given they also want to inspect trenches before a pour, what’s the SLA on responding to you sending photos 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

Love to see how they would do a drain test ..!!! Annoying that they charge you £250 for inspections and then it’s down to sending your photos … given they also want to inspect trenches before a pour, what’s the SLA on responding to you sending photos 

If they don’t have the staff they can’t be in two places at once. Don’t forget Building Control are not a clerk of works or contract inspection service - they can only see what is available for inspection on any given day. As for testing the drains a bucket of water shouldn’t be too hard to find on a building site!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ETC said:

If they don’t have the staff they can’t be in two places at once. Don’t forget Building Control are not a clerk of works or contract inspection service - they can only see what is available for inspection on any given day. As for testing the drains a bucket of water shouldn’t be too hard to find on a building site!

I agree and disagree with this - they are there as an inspection service to ensure building regulations are met. That’s why they charge for inspections and that’s why you have to have trenches inspected prior to a foundation pour. In some poor ground situations you could have trenches that will not stand waiting 4 or 5 days in the wet - who’s paying for additional shoring just because the BCO can’t make it for 4 days on a 2 day SLA…?? It’s a service - they should either meet it, or if they can’t they contract it out. 

In terms of drains tests, the local BCO here requires a pressure test and a 15 min standing water test - how can you witness that with a couple of photos ..??

4 hours ago, PeterW said:

In terms of drains tests, the local BCO here requires a pressure test and a 15 min standing water test - how can you witness that with a couple of photos ..??

In Scotland you can have a plumber sign off your drainage, I don't know if that is the case in England.

8 hours ago, PeterW said:

I agree and disagree with this - they are there as an inspection service to ensure building regulations are met. Very true.

That’s why they charge for inspections and that’s why you have to have trenches inspected prior to a foundation pour. Yep - true again.

In some poor ground situations you could have trenches that will not stand waiting 4 or 5 days in the wet - who’s paying for additional shoring just because the BCO can’t make it for 4 days on a 2 day SLA…?? It’s a service - they should either meet it, or if they can’t they contract it out. 
What I’m trying to explain is that If the BCO cannot carry out an inspection (for whatever reason) then the onus will be on the applicant to provide sufficient information to Building Control to show that the works comply with the Regulations. Don’t forget get that Building Control will not stop any works from proceeding. If the applicant tries to arrange an inspection for say a Monday and the BCO cannot carry out the inspect until the Friday the onus will be on the applicant to organise the works so that they are ready for an inspection on the day the BCO can carry out the inspection. Where (for example during COVID) the BCO is not able to inspect the works at all the onus will be (as I said above) on the applicant to submit sufficient information to Building Control to show that the works have complied with the Building Regulations. In the case of the foundations inspection above and the BCO is (for whatever reason) unable to inspect the works the applicant should consider employing a structural engineer or other appropriate professional to confirm that the ground conditions are suitable for the proposed works. In many cases where Building Control encounter poor ground conditions the applicant will be asked to employ a structural engineer to propose a suitable foundation type. Building Control do not design foundations.

Seems a bit OTT to be honest. I’ve never done a pressure test - the system either works or it doesn’t and the best way to test this is with a bucket and a water supply.