Include sheds, greenhouse in planning application?

Alan Ambrose

Hi,

We're at the planning application stage. It occurs to me that during the build and while we've got various trades on-site it would be nice and fairly low cost to build a smallish workshop and greenhouse etc. From the point of view of planning acceptance, would it be better to do these as permitted development after the whole building is finished and signed-off or is it OK to include them up-front in the planning application? I'm a bit concerned that they'll just give the planners something else to shoot at.

Alan

As long as you work within the planning guidelines I don’t see why it would present a problem. 

That said my other half’s dad was an architect and on some schemes he’d suggest waiting and do as PD. For big garages or workshops alongside a house build he’d sometimes submit the planning applications separately. 

If you plan to plant any trees put those on a landscape plan and you can reclaim the VAT.

Can't reclaim VAT on a shed or greenhouse. Can for a garage if built same time as house. Not sure about a garden office or similar outbuilding, probably.

Aside: Since you are at this stage..  After getting PP, If the CIL is a thing in your area make sure you claim the exemption and get confirmation using the right forms before you do any work on site. You must do this even if the planners send you a letter or email telling you it will be exempt. They mean it will be exempt if you claim the exemption on the right forms. Mistakes can be expensive.

8 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Including them means you can do them first if you want the storage space while building.  If you don't include them, you don't officially get permitted development rights until the house is complete.

I added a large Poly (polycarbonate) tunnel for this very reason

On 29/09/2022 at 08:12, ProDave said:

Including them means you can do them first if you want the storage space while building.  If you don't include them, you don't officially get permitted development rights until the house is complete.

Presumably that's only for completely new plots, as an existing dwelling replacement or rebuild will have legacy PD rights (although things like % of garden will be on the existing, not new, design)?

8 hours ago, LaCurandera said:

Presumably that's only for completely new plots, as an existing dwelling replacement or rebuild will have legacy PD rights (although things like % of garden will be on the existing, not new, design)?

I think Permitted Development rights dissappear when you kock down the original and return when the new 9ne is complete (if not removed by a condition).

http://planninglawblog.blogspot.com/2021/05/partial-demolition-in-advance-of.html

Just to ensure that no-one is under any misapprehension, entire demoiltion of the subject building would result in the complete loss of permitted development rights, which can only subsist in respect of an extant building. If the building ceases to exist (for whatever reason), all existing use rights are lost, as is any permitted development right that might otherwsie have attached to that building.