Building a Block Workshop - ADVICE NEEDED!

17 minutes ago, stunotch said:

NEXT STEP! 

I need to decide the sizes for my door and window. I'm going to have double french doors to make it easy to move big things in and out. Obviously I can choose the size I want, but is there anything I should bare in mind with this? Ideally I want it to be a full block up to the door opening to save extra cuts? and are concrete lintels for above the door only available in certain sizes / lengths? 

And same for the window I guess? 

ALSO> Do I need to have a return in the brickwork for the reveals of the doors / windows? Or just fixing the door frame to the single block is acceptable? 

Thanks All. 

A return at the door is recommended especially if having doubles. Window you will get away with the single block (assuming you are not having a cavity/double skin).

highly unlikely you will get away with full block both sides of the door unless your planning is spot on or you are going to have a bespoke double door made (quite expensive). I would pick up the doors and windows and cut the blocks to save money and potential grief

2 minutes ago, markc said:

A return at the door is recommended especially if having doubles. Window you will get away with the single block (assuming you are not having a cavity/double skin).

highly unlikely you will get away with full block both sides of the door unless your planning is spot on or you are going to have a bespoke double door made (quite expensive). I would pick up the doors and windows and cut the blocks to save money and potential grief

How would you do a return at the doors? Lay blocks on their sides or cut a block in half etc? 

11 minutes ago, stunotch said:

How would you do a return at the doors? Lay blocks on their sides or cut a block in half etc? 

Cut blocks to make a pillar either side of the door. Laying blocks on side only works every 2nd course anyway so you will always need to cut. Don’t be afraid of cutting blocks, it’s very easy and necessary

22 minutes ago, markc said:

Cut blocks to make a pillar either side of the door. Laying blocks on side only works every 2nd course anyway so you will always need to cut. Don’t be afraid of cutting blocks, it’s very easy and necessary

Cutting in half then? Like in this photo? 

IMG_20221112_143159.jpg

4 minutes ago, stunotch said:

Cutting in half then? Like in this photo? 

IMG_20221112_143159.jpg

If you only do that then you will have really small end fill blocks. Put another half block behind the whole one so th next layer will key everything in as it will go over the end half block

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Bit of an update. 

It's been quite a learning curve! But I'm definitely getting somewhere. The walls are straight and level, I think I have about 4mm error on the front wall but I can live with that! Not too bad considering I've never built anything before 😂

I've started to build both piers where the door is going, and I decide to add a pier to the rear and opposite side wall just to be safe, but not on the front wall where the window is going in as I want my work bench to run along that wall. 

When it comes to reaching the eaves height, is it best to start building the front and rear block work up to the apex, or build the roof structure first?

received_1119682438911202.jpeg

received_1147832069227302.jpeg

received_831003754780378.jpeg

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Canski said:

5 inch for a 3.5 m span ? I’d go 175. Oops edit. I thought it was going to be a flat roof then saw ridge timber. What roof are you putting on it ?

A Slate pitch roof to match our house. 

Not worked out the measurements yet! But the building is 4M square. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've now got the blockwork up to the height of 2050, my UPVC door is 2105. 

What is the best way to do the final course of blocks? Should I just run a course of 2 bricks on the top, I feel if I use another block the eaves will be quite high? 

Thanks 👍

10 minutes ago, stunotch said:

I've now got the blockwork up to the height of 2050, my UPVC door is 2105. 

What is the best way to do the final course of blocks? Should I just run a course of 2 bricks on the top, I feel if I use another block the eaves will be quite high? 

Thanks 👍

Have you got a wall plate to go atop the blocks? Add a 55mm bit of timber or 50mm uPVC extension piece?

1 minute ago, Onoff said:

Have you got a wall plate to go atop the blocks? Add a 55mm bit of timber or 50mm uPVC extension piece?

I've not got the timber here yet, but yes there will be a wall plate. I will also need a lintel above the uPVC doors though 🤔

9 minutes ago, stunotch said:

I've not got the timber here yet, but yes there will be a wall plate. I will also need a lintel above the uPVC doors though 🤔

Have a line of bricks level with the top of the lintel and a uPVC packer underneath?

• 1 month later...

Hi All, 

Despite the terrible weather, I have been making some progress. 

I'm pretty much at full eaves height all the way around now. And have fitted the concrete lintel above the window. 

The front wall with the window is going to have the pitch of the roof above, so I will be building the blockwork up above the window at whatever angle I decide the roof will be (22.5 I think) 

I'm about to instal the lintel above the door, however the blockwork is at 2050mm and the door height with cill is 2090. So I am thinking to add a row of common bricks, then fit the lintel on top, then add another course of bricks to bring the level up around the lintel. This would also mean adding 2 course of bricks on the wall opposite the door too. 

Does this sound the correct way to go?? 

Also, I noticed that bricks are slightly wider than blocks? Do I sit them flush to the outside wall and sticking out on inside, or flush on the inside sticking out on outside?!

IMG_20230123_121505.jpg