Dying mortar

Bozza

I am currently building a loose stone granite retaining wall in the garden.  I am considering pointing it to gave the effect in the attached pic which is likely to be lime mortar.  It doesn’t need to be lime mortar,  which is quite expensive,  so I am consider dying cement based mortar a lighter colour using white pigment dye.

I have zero knowledge or experience of dying cement,  or using lime mortar, etc I would appreciate any advise of anyone with relevant knowledge.  

cheers !  Bozza.

12EFBE48-FF7C-48DC-87F7-4E7403DC02CD.jpeg

31 minutes ago, nod said:

If you add hydrated line You will get the effect pictured 

4 sand 1 cement 1 lime 

and lime is as cheap as chips 

Cheers Nod I’ll give that a go.  I thought the hydrated lime was pricey at £17 per 25kg bag but I supposed that will make 150kg on the ratios you suggest.  

27 minutes ago, Bozza said:

Cheers Nod I’ll give that a go.  I thought the hydrated lime was pricey at £17 per 25kg bag but I supposed that will make 150kg on the ratios you suggest.  

It will go a long way 

Probably worth doing a couple of trial mixes till you get the colour you want 

Use Something small like a cup

Four cups of sand etc 

Dont use a plastersizer The lime will aerate the fix 

8 hours ago, Bozza said:

So it's true Jocks are tight! 😂

Pity you're not this neck of the woods as I've a near full bag of hydrated lime you could have had for nothing. 

12 hours ago, nod said:

If you add hydrated line You will get the effect pictured 

4 sand 1 cement 1 lime 

and lime is as cheap as chips 

My builder did this as I wanted it to look like lime, and it does, just what I wanted.

If you want lighter than the lime mix (if your sand is quite orange, the mix will come out looking a bit muddy) you can replace 1 of the standard sands with white sand. Going by your posted pic, think white sane may be needed. I'm doing to experimental mixes soon myself as we've a lot of red brick butting against white render and want to soften the contrast with pale mortar.

Edited by Conor

I’ve used white cement and lime with plastering sand to get a near “sandstone” finish and it works well. The  issue is normally though that your sand provides most of the colour - see if the BM can get you yellow sand in bulk bags