Protecting ditch outlets from rodents

Thorfun

greetings. we have 3 drainage outlets from our new build into a ditch running alongside our property, one from STP and RWH, one land drain from our green roofs and another 110mm pipe from other roofs not feeding our RWH tank.

I'm thinking of adding something to the end of the pipe to protect from potential rodent incursion. firstly, is this paranoia gone too far? 

I see there are metal NRV for this but at £50 a pop seem a little excessive and we have NRV on the outlet pipes from our STP and RWH tanks anyway. so I was wondering if anyone had any other recommendations for this? I found these on Amazon which might do the trick although a determined rat could probably gnaw through the plastic.

I've also though of 3D printing something like this but I'm not sure of the effectiveness of it.

and a final thought is a simple 110mm vent like this from Screwfix but, again, don't know if it will work.

anyone else paranoid enough to worry about rats in the drains and done anything about it?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

is this paranoia gone too far? 

NO, A rat got into my STP and blocked a pipe, smells alerted me and after “fishing” i got it out, I had no grill on the outlet pipe to a ditch which is where it must have got in, I simply used a grill fir the top of a vent stack.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

thanks all. sorry to hear about your issues @joe90 and glad my paranoia is justified. I will forget plastic as I know a determined rat will/can chew through it. we're leaning towards some kind of steel mesh fitted over the end of the pipe and held with adhesive of some kind. we walk up the road past the ditch most days taking the dog for a walk so we can always keep an eye on things to see if it's come lose or fallen off or something.

49 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

greetings. we have 3 drainage outlets from our new build into a ditch running alongside our property, one from STP and RWH, one land drain from our green roofs and another 110mm pipe from other roofs not feeding our RWH tank.

I'm thinking of adding something to the end of the pipe to protect from potential rodent incursion. firstly, is this paranoia gone too far? 

I see there are metal NRV for this but at £50 a pop seem a little excessive and we have NRV on the outlet pipes from our STP and RWH tanks anyway. so I was wondering if anyone had any other recommendations for this? I found these on Amazon which might do the trick although a determined rat could probably gnaw through the plastic.

I've also though of 3D printing something like this but I'm not sure of the effectiveness of it.

and a final thought is a simple 110mm vent like this from Screwfix but, again, don't know if it will work.

anyone else paranoid enough to worry about rats in the drains and done anything about it?

I’ve just added a flood valve about 3 meters from our dyke 

Whilst it will stop water in the event of a flood 

It will also stop rodents coming up the 75 meters of pipe to our TP

49333BAB-4644-4F5B-9830-5B93D2C85A9C.jpeg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Radian said:

Forget using anything made from plastic. If it's in their way, they have all the time in the world to chew through it. And it doesn't take them all that long anyway.

2 hours ago, Radian said:

Forget using anything made from plastic. If it's in their way, they have all the time in the world to chew through it. And it doesn't take them all that long anyway.

Flood valve ideal 

Stainless steel plate in there way 

Rats are  worthy foes.

Gun to be oiled this afternoon, off to the range later, make sure it's still zeroed properly. New batteries for the scope and image intensifier. Wind is shifting just right for a quiet dusk-time sit down and commune with the enemy. 

Thanks for the tip about flood valves @nod - missed that . 

we have those flood/NRVs between our STP and RWH and the ditch but I have another 2 pipes which don't have such a thing. plus I want to stop anything nesting in the pipes even if they can't get past the NRVs. I'm thinking mesh covering the outlet and then held on with a plastic sleeve/collar on the outside of the pipe which I can 3D print. will take a photo once the solution is in place for everyone to see my cowboy work.

4 hours ago, ToughButterCup said:

Rats are  worthy foes.

Gun to be oiled this afternoon, off to the range later, make sure it's still zeroed properly. New batteries for the scope and image intensifier. Wind is shifting just right for a quiet dusk-time sit down and commune with the enemy. 

Thanks for the tip about flood valves @nod - missed that . 

👍

Sorry to hijack the thread but on Sunday I was walking through the burn that our treatment plant empties into, clearing our branches etc while the level is still low.

I noticed that the outlet pipe does not have a rodent guard and had a couple of thoughts. 90% of the time the burn is below the pipe but occasionally it will be above in heavy rain.

Should I:

A.      put a flap valve on the end instead of a grill?

B.      put an angle on the end of the pip so it is pointing downstream?

My concern is that if the stream is too high, will it flush back to the treatment plant causing issues? It’s a klargester bioficient and I don’t know if it has some sort of internal check valve.
http://www.svrplastics.co.uk/uploads/images/spigot_connection21.jpg

Rats are clever little buggers. I thought I had rat proofed our chicken run as no rats for two years after building it. We put the house on the market and obviously the rats spotted it on Rightmove as they moved in to the chicken run underneath the coup. I didn’t notice straight away but did notice that the chickens were suddenly getting through a lot more food. Eventually I noticed the tell tale signs of some excavation work at the back of coup. Moved the coup, the pallet it sat on and the slabs the pallet sat on. I was very impressed with the basement apartment they had built. Sleeping quarters packed with feathers, en-suite loo in the opposite corner, and a well stocked larder of chicken feed and various bits of vegetables. There were two very neat tunnels great escape styli leading out from either side of rat mansions underneath all my carefully installed rat proof mesh, underneath my sunken perimeter barrier all the way to the boundary with the neighbouring field. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Kelvin said:

the rats spotted it on Rightmove

🤣🤣🤣🤣, yes they are very clever, my chicken run was built on 200mm of rolled  MOT, they got through that 🤷‍♂️, then I  ran chicken wire underneath it, they simply dug up to it so the chicken food fell through into their tunnels. Yum yum. Our neighbour gave up keeping chickens on account of rats.

1 hour ago, joe90 said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣, yes they are very clever, my chicken run was built on 200mm of rolled  MOT, they got through that 🤷‍♂️, then I  ran chicken wire underneath it, they simply dug up to it so the chicken food fell through into their tunnels. Yum yum. Our neighbour gave up keeping chickens on account of rats.

once the house is finished I'll start work on the new chicken run. am thinking of a concrete slab or using leftover concrete blocks (I have quite a few from the block and beam in the house)so there's no chance of tunnelling underneath!